The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 10, 2020, 03:59 PM   #1
Swifty Morgan

Norma 55-Grain Tactical .223 Debacle

Today the weather cleared for a bit, so I managed to do some shooting with my new CORE15 rifle in .223. I set up in the shade and measured the distance at 58 yards. I used Norma Tactical 55-grain cheapo ammo.

I knew the rifle was not likely to be Olympic quality, but I was shocked to see the results I got. I would call it 5 MOA.

Has anyone here tried this ammo? Is it usually this atrocious? I'm hoping its not the gun. I can shoot considerably better than this with a .22 and Mini-mags.
Old June 10, 2020, 05:29 PM   #2
44caliberkid

I did a search of reviews for this ammo, and whether in print or YouTube, the reviewers were getting about 2 inch groups at 100 yards. It is made by Lake City, supposedly to Norma specifications.
Old June 10, 2020, 05:40 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

A few questions:
Iron sights or scope?
How well do normally do with an AR at 58 yards?
are your results with the CORE15 better or worse than you can shoot a similarly sighted rifle at the same range?
Old June 10, 2020, 06:04 PM   #4
Swifty Morgan

Scope.

This is my first AR15, so normally, I do pretty bad.

I do a lot better with other rifles. Five MOA is horrendous.
Old June 10, 2020, 09:30 PM   #5
Swifty Morgan

I took a look at an old .204 Ruger target I shot from 50 yards, and a whole bunch of rounds went into a hole about 1/2" across. That was with Fiocchi 40-grain ammo with V-Max bullets. That was from a T/C Venture.
Old June 11, 2020, 05:06 PM   #6
mikejonestkd

Try a different ammo and let us know if the issue is resolved. Try some average quality plinking ammo, and some premium ammo too. Sometimes a gun just does not like a certain bullet or ammo. happens fairly often.
Old June 11, 2020, 06:01 PM   #7
Swifty Morgan

I bought this rifle because my head was spinning as I tried to figure the AR15 out. There were so many options, I decided the best thing was to buy a gun off the rack, start shooting, and go from there.

Someone suggested the gun had the wrong twist rate, so I've been studying that.

This is a 9"-twist gun. I read an article suggesting it's optimal for bullets between 55 and 68 grains. I'm shooting 55-grain bullets, so I guess twist can't be the issue.

I was planning to use this thing to shoot 40-grain V-Max bullets. It's not a self-defense gun. Now that I'm learning about twist, I don't know if I can hope for real accuracy with 40-grain bullets from a 9" gun. And of course, I just splurged for 500 rounds which can't be returned.

I will try the V-Max rounds when they show up. Maybe things will improve.
Old June 11, 2020, 06:47 PM   #8
brasscollector

I wouldn't rule out the 40gr VMAXs, my 9" twist AR loves the 40gr over some 4198. As for the 55gr stuff it would be hard to say whether your barrel didn't like that load or if the ammo is suspect in most any barrel. I usually have better luck with 55gr soft points than the FMJs in my 223s but I'm reloading.
Old June 11, 2020, 06:52 PM   #9
Swifty Morgan

I found an old guy on Youtube shooting sub-MOA at 200 yards with a 1:9 twist and Fiocchi 40-grain V-Max bullets. He was freaked out even though he shot the rounds. He couldn't understand it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrrMzaTNzBA
Old June 12, 2020, 02:15 AM   #10
Metal god

Your fine with a 1-9 twist with any weight up to 69gr bullets . I’ve shot 77gr out of my 1-9 and it did fine but it’s not recommended.

What brand rifle ?

Do you understand 5moa at 58yds is almost a 10” group . Was your group 10 inches or 5 inches at 58 yards? 5” is 2.5 moa

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 12, 2020, 07:09 AM   #11
Swifty Morgan

At 100 yards, 1 MOA is a little over an inch. At 50 yards, it's a little over half an inch. At 58 yards, 5 MOA means between 2.5" and 3".
Old June 12, 2020, 07:38 AM   #12
Metal god

Your right , I’m not sure what I was thinking . I’ll shut up now LOL

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old June 12, 2020, 08:31 AM   #13
Swifty Morgan

Without coffee, anything can happen.
Old June 12, 2020, 09:18 AM   #14
Tallest

I think Metal god did his math with a 2x multiplier instead of 1/2x multiplier.

Anyway... I don't think the over all situation is dire until you've tried 5 + ammo options and still can't group. I recently built a budget rifle with an AR Stoner 5.56 upper and 80% lower with magpul furnishings. Nothing precision about the build except the CMC program to finish the lower. I started out zeroing it with Federal American Eagle 556. I was at least 3 MOA.

I then checked to see if it would do any better with my groundhog hand loads. 60 Grain Nosler Balistic Tip Varmint going around 2920 fps. Oof! Opened up even more.

So then I ran the only other thing I had in the truck, which were PMC Xtac which are rated at 3120, but I have friends who have clocked them at 3270. Turns out the hottest thing I had was the most accurate. The PMC were barely over 1 MOA.

So much if it is just finding the load your barrel likes.

"All men are ignorant. The topics of our ignorance may vary, but the nature of the world is that no man may know everything." ~ R Jordan
Old June 12, 2020, 09:22 AM   #15
Metal god

Quote:
I think Metal god did his math with a 2x multiplier instead of 1/2x multiplier.
It was late and the coffee from the morning had worn off quite some time ago haha . The best I could come up with is I mixed up sight adjustments with group sizes . Sucks that it's in writing

Old June 16, 2020, 03:04 PM   #16
Swifty Morgan

My new ammo arrived, so I finally got a chance to shoot the AR15 again. The gun is fine. I guess it just does not like Norma 55-grain.

I shot Fiocchi 40-grain Extrema, which used to have Hornady V-Max bullets but now has blue tips. I had to quit shooting early, but I got 20 rounds off at 50 yards, and the results are nothing to complain about.

The photo shows 8 rounds at the lower left. Then I adjusted the scope, and I shot 12 more rounds in the center.

I need to get a bench that isn't made of plastic. I'll put up a photo of my high-tech setup. The railroad spring on the table is for weight. I figured I would get rid of some of the bounce if the table was preloaded.

The butt situation is not good. I don't know if my buttstock is even suitable for resting, and my rear bag does not offer much in the way of adjustment. I used a Magpul M-Lok bipod today, and while it seems like a good product, you can't move the legs up in small increments. Just big jumps.

I had to put the crosshairs on the center of the bullseye, load up the bipod, and do my best to get everything lined up so it felt natural. I'm sure this gun will shoot better with improved support.

Old June 16, 2020, 06:57 PM   #17
brasscollector

Yeah, I would say you're onto something there.
Old June 16, 2020, 07:27 PM   #18
Swifty Morgan

I'm really happy. It looks like the top group is around 1 MOA at 50 yards, so if the target had been twice as far back, it would probably still have been close to 1 MOA. If I get a real bench and bags and actually learn how to shoot, this could be pretty good. I may be able to do sub-MOA at 100 yards, routinely.

And I'm paying 45 cents per round for match-quality ammo that also happens to be top-notch varmint ordnance!