The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 10, 2020, 03:32 PM   #1
ghbucky

Recommendations for trigger and stock

As I'm learning about my rifle and getting more experience with it, I'm now finding things I don't like about it.

This is the rifle. Pretty much bare bones, budget Anderson.

I have red dot on it, and I'm having a hard time getting any kind of cheek weld while being centered on the RDS. I see that there are some stocks with risers and some are adjustable.

Anyone have experience with one they like?

The other thing I don't like is it has a heavy, single stage trigger. I'd like to switch to a light 2 stage. Any recommendations there?
Old July 10, 2020, 03:53 PM   #2
greentick

Red dots are more for speed than precision, shooting both eyes open. Cheek weld is less important.

Trigger is going to be budget dependent. The Larue MBT is $80 and nice. I also have a Geisselle SSA-E, SSA, and G2S. All a bit nicer but $200 +- 50 depending on sales. Any of these will seem fantastic compared to a stock milspec trigger.
Old July 10, 2020, 04:44 PM   #3
cw308

I just recently changed the trigger in my AR15 after many years , the trigger was always gritty . I changed it to the LaRue MBT 2S , for a reasonably priced trigger it's hard to beat , read up on the trigger and see if is good for you , would you try shooting from peep sights . My AR has a carry handle with a large and small peep , using the small peep it's deadly accurate and not a problem for getting a good cheek weld.. 1/8 twist is nice also a 16 bolt carrier , you will turn it into a shooter , get alot of shooting in , are you reloading ? Now it's hard to find ammo , everyone's sold out . Went through this before . Good luck with your project .

Chris
Old July 10, 2020, 06:07 PM   #4
ghbucky

Looks like I have a LaRue in my future. Thanks.

Chris, I scored 200 rounds of 5.56 just by being in the right place. I've started working up loads using that brass.

I also just this morning scored 200 rounds of SD ammo at Bone Frog Gun Club. They had me a tracking # within about 45 minutes of placing an online order, so I wonder if the ammo crunch is starting to ease up.
Old July 10, 2020, 08:27 PM   #5
vkeith

I have several of the Larue MBT-2S triggers. They are the best trigger you can get for $80. They are made from S7 tool steel and have a 2.5 lb. first stage and a crisp 2.0 lb. second stage.
Old July 10, 2020, 09:44 PM   #6
cw308

At one time they sold for over $200. Same quality . First stage is 2.5 second is 2 , breaks like glass . Great trigger , comes with a stronger spring if you feel 2. is too light. I think it's perfect. Hopefully the ammo stock will get back up there , even powder and bullets are sold out.
Old July 10, 2020, 09:51 PM   #7
Nathan

Look at the Magpul MOE SL furniture. I really like mine for comfort, good sling mount an minimal size/weight.

Also Rise Armament makes a nice trigger for about $100.

Did you get the rds figured out?
Old July 11, 2020, 06:18 AM   #8
ghbucky

Quote:
Did you get the rds figured out?
I did! Thanks. The advice that was given to re-center the turret got me very close to the bullseye.
Old July 11, 2020, 06:22 AM   #9
ghbucky

Has anyone used this stock? It looks interesting. The riser is spring loaded so it will ride back behind the charging handle and snap back when it is released.

It is mounted to a mag pul stock.

Old July 11, 2020, 10:51 AM   #10
Shadow9mm

I have a Laure MBT, its is a fantastic trigger, if you want a 2 stage i would highly recommend it. I'm running the magpul CTR stock. It has a second lock that helps eliminate wiggle. The one you are looking at is that stock with cheek risers added on. I'm personally not a fan of risers on AR stocks. also it looks like it would block the charging handle if the stock was not fully extended.
Old July 11, 2020, 11:37 AM   #11
ghbucky

Quote:
also it looks like it would block the charging handle if the stock was not fully extended.
Larue claims the riser is spring loaded, so it rides back behind the charging handle then returns to its position after charging.
Old July 11, 2020, 12:41 PM   #12
stinkeypete

I was quite pleased with the Rock River two stage trigger, it's was okay for what it is.

As for the cheek weld.. why not take what you have and start building up a cheek pad? I used lamination of flexible craft foam that was waterproof and durable and you can make it just right for you.
Old July 11, 2020, 12:51 PM   #13
O4L

Another recommendation here for the LaRue MBT 2S trigger.

I also have a Rise Armament 3.5# single stage trigger that I like well enough but I probably wouldn't buy another one over the MBT.

The MBT comes with a heavier spring if you wish to use it and they also have single stage versions.

That cheek riser is an interesting concept but I don't use risers myself.
Old July 11, 2020, 02:56 PM   #14
ghbucky

Quote:
I used lamination of flexible craft foam that was waterproof and durable and you can make it just right for you.
Interesting idea.... thanks!
Old July 12, 2020, 12:20 PM   #15
Metal god

The Larue trigger is a great trigger for the price . As for stocks , I don't recommend one with an adjustable cheekweld especially when using a red dot . 1st ) Just about all red dots are parallax free past 50yds and many less then that so your cheekweld isn't as important as one might think using a red dot . 2nd) The way the AR stock is designed coming straight back from the receiver , unlike traditional rifles where the stock drops down below the receiver . The correct height optic mount will correct your line of sight issue when using an AR . While because the stock drops below the receiver on a traditional rifle you often need to raise your head up to get the proper cheekweld .

This stock is super comfortable IMO
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...bal_color=118#

This stock is almost as comfortable and weighs a bit less
https://magpul.com/firearm-accessori...obal_color=118

If you want to get all fancy , but you'll need a different buffer tube , buffer and spring
https://www.primaryarms.com/magpul-p...le-stock-black

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old July 20, 2020, 08:23 PM   #16
buckey

I too have a few LaRue triggers, darn good people to do business with!
Old July 22, 2020, 09:09 AM   #17
ghbucky

Follow up:

My brother called me up all generous like and asked what I wanted to suss my new rifle out with, so I told him a LaRue trigger.

He came through and ordered me one! Unfortunately, he gave them the wrong address. So my eagerly anticipated trigger is en-route back to LaRue.

I'm not entirely convinced this was a mistake....
Old July 23, 2020, 02:19 PM   #18
Fishbed77

Quote:
I have a Laure MBT, its is a fantastic trigger, if you want a 2 stage i would highly recommend it. I'm running the magpul CTR stock. It has a second lock that helps eliminate wiggle. The one you are looking at is that stock with cheek risers added on. I'm personally not a fan of risers on AR stocks. also it looks like it would block the charging handle if the stock was not fully extended.
I’ve used a lot of AR stocks over the years, and the CTR is probably still my favorite all-around carbine stock. It’s simple, durable, and locks up tightly.

And that simplicity and durability goes right out the window with that riser pictured above. If you are having difficulty seeing through a red dot on an AR, it’s more likely a factor of the optic mount/riser being used than the stock.
Old August 8, 2020, 03:01 PM   #19
ghbucky

I finally got my Larue trigger today. I just finished installing it and WOW, great recommendations folks, Thanks very much!

On another note, can someone explain why in the heck something as simple as a low profile gas block can go from ~$10 to ~80+? I would think they would be kind of normalized price?
Old August 9, 2020, 02:59 AM   #20
Metal god

Lol . you think that’s crazy go look at muzzle breaks or muzzle devices in general they could be anywhere from $20-$200

I can add that gas blocks could be made several different ways and when you’re talking about adjustable gas block‘s there are significantly different types of designs that are better or worse than others with how they adjust . Some just have a screw that you need to keep track of its orientation. Others have screws that as you turn them they click kind of similar to scope adjustments which helps keep them in place once you find the right adjustment. While others have just the screw adjustment and then a set screw to hold it in place then you have the ones with clicks and set screws . So there are significant differences but if you’re talking about a basic low profile non-adjustable gas block the cheap one will do just fine . I use the PSA ones and so far they seem to work just fine

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; August 9, 2020 at 03:07 AM.
Old August 11, 2020, 09:04 AM   #21
ed308

Has anyone used this stock? It looks interesting. The riser is spring loaded so it will ride back behind the charging handle and snap back when it is released. It is mounted to a mag pul stock.

I used that stock on a bolt rifle build with an MDT stock. Not a bad stock. But I prefer Magpul’s STR stock on my ARs.

Good choice on the MBT trigger.
Old August 11, 2020, 09:46 AM   #22
gaseousclay

I have no experience with triggers or stocks, so take my comment with a grain of salt. I'm new to AR's and haven't upgraded the trigger on my S&W m&p sport II yet, but I did go out and buy a Daniel Defense stock which I really like. Word of warning though, the DD stock was a tremendous pain in the butt to install. I chose the DD stock because it has rubber overmolding and provides more grip. Just my preference though.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2684378259