The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 28, 2012, 11:58 AM   #1
wachtelhund1

Still looking for loads for Lyman Mustang and Blackhorn 209 Powder

Still looking for loads for Lyman Mustang and Blackhorn 209 Powder. I've modded the BP and have absolutely no igintion issues. Also, re-worked the trigger for a smooth 2 1/2 # let off. But I'm looking for what works in the group department. I've tried Hornady 300 and 250 gr XTP's, 245 gr Power Belts, and COP 225 solid copper HPs. All .45 cal pistol bullets. Also tried Harvester EZ load sabots and Harvester red crush sabots. Tried some combinations of 63, 70 and 77 grain charges of Blachorn 209 powder. Haven't shot below a 2 1/2 inch group yet. As ML season is now in, I just picked a load and zero for the hunt season. I guess after the season, I'll have to sit down and work up a serious load.

Any other Lyman Mustang shooters out there?
Old November 28, 2012, 01:59 PM   #2
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by wachtelhund1
Tried some combinations of 63, 70 and 77 grain charges of Blachorn 209 powder.
You are using weighed charges without specifying that fact. It should be understood that when discussing muzzle loading powder charges they're always assumed to be by volume unless specified otherwise. Or else it causes confusion with those participating in the discussion.
I wouldn't have known that if I didn't read your post on HuntingNet.com where you mentioned that the charges were by weight.

I'd like to think that the first shot out of a cold clean barrel is always the one that counts the most. When hunting, you're shooting a deer with the first shot and not shooting a group.

Here's a Mustang owner that swears by 300 grain Shock Wave bullets. IIRC he had a tough time developing a load for his Mustang using black powder until he tried the Shock Waves.

Read these:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...ang-rifle.html

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...g-mustang.html

And Semisane is another Mustang owner:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/blac...rn-report.html

Last edited by arcticap; November 28, 2012 at 02:07 PM.
Old December 1, 2012, 07:14 PM   #3
wachtelhund1

Articap, Thanks for the links. May bad on not specifying by weight.