The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old August 9, 2011, 02:13 PM   #1
riverside arms

riverside arms?

I have a riverside arms double barrel rabbit ear 12 Ga shotgun. i want to know what year it was made if possible, or in general what years it could be. when you break it down u can see where it says 3404 in the underside of the barrel
http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1020680.jpg
http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1020691.jpg
http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1020692.jpg
http://s1104.photobucket.com/albums/...t=P1020676.jpg

any help would be greatly appreciated thanks
Old August 9, 2011, 04:13 PM   #2
Scorch

Riverside Arms was a name used by Crescent Arms Co. Crescent Arms was purchased by Stevens around 1900 IIRC (someone feel free to correct me if this is not accurate).

Most exposed hammer guns are from before 1900 or so, after 1900-ish people were more interesed in hammerless guns.

Your Riverside Arms SXS has been completely refinished and is not in original condition, but looks fairly nice.
Old August 9, 2011, 04:40 PM   #3
RJay

Once upon a time there was a separate Riverside Arms, However it was taken over by Steven's around the turn of the 20TH century. Stevens then used the name on it's " bargain " or lower price guns ( Think Marlin and Glenfield ) Crescent was taken over in the mid to late 1930's. Savage ( as every one could ) could see the war clouds on the horizons and decided they need more manufacturing assets. Turns out they were right.
Old August 9, 2011, 09:24 PM   #4
riverside arms

thankyou very much im trying to learn as much as possible about riverside arms. history and old things interest me so to find that this shotgun could be very very old is very exciting.
any more info?
any tips like should i be shooting a gun this old?
I shot it at the range yesterday it did great, shot about 55shells
Old August 9, 2011, 09:32 PM   #5
riverside arms

could there be more information under the barrels? like where the wood handle is? if so any info on how to remove the wood handle?
Old August 9, 2011, 10:45 PM   #6
RJay

The exact age of your shotgun would be hard to determine, however after WWI (around 1918-1920 ) hammers went out of favor in lieu of internal hammers. I would guesstimate it was made in that era.. I don't believe there is any problem with your gun being chambered for 2 &3/4 inch shells. You may want to check the chamber length just to be sure. Remember, a shotguns chamber length is 1/4 inch longer that the shell it is chambered for. The fore arm is either a snap in, held by a spring and a catch or there will be a screw holding it in place. to remove, a firm pull on the forearm will unsnap most common forearms. But I doubt you will find any pertinent information there. The U.S. doesn't use a national proof house, so no proof marks, you will probably find only assembly numbers. Because it is a Box lock I believe it is a Model 225. Others may have more current and accurate information, if so maybe they will post.
Old August 10, 2011, 11:29 PM   #7
riverside arms

so its possible to keep using this shotgun even tho its very old?
Old August 11, 2011, 12:00 AM   #8
Scorch

I wouldn't. 12 gauge shotguns prior to about 1900 were pretty much all for black powder 2-1/2" or 2-5/8" shells, and even if built for 2-3/4" shells it is not made for the pressures common with smokeless loads. The receiver itself is iron, as you can see from the color of the bluing. That was never a high-quality shotgun, so its condition is questionable. I would say no to firing it.
Old August 11, 2011, 07:16 PM   #9
Hawg

The plum color is pretty common on older steel frames. Look at the loading gate on older Ruger single actions for an example. My Riversides are a cut above the average Crescent. Riverside was a stand alone company before being bought out by Stevens. I'm thinking Savage bought out Crescent in the late 30's. I'd measure the chambers and if they're chambered for 2 3/4 shells the steel will be good. Remember tho chamber length for 2 3/4 will be longer than 2 3/4 because chambers are measured with fired shells. The only problem I see is the forcing cone will be cut for roll crimped shells and it may not pattern well with star crimped shells.
Old August 15, 2011, 11:18 PM   #10
riverside arms

thankyou very much for this information i think i might just find a way to display it and not shoot it... even though i would love to shoot it to enjoy the shotgun that has seen so many years...
Old August 16, 2011, 11:28 AM   #11
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Riverside arms
trade name used by stevens arms co 1915-1940

their model 215-315

mr harley
Old August 16, 2011, 05:51 PM   #12
Hawg

I've got two Riversides a SXS hammerless and a pump. Both of mine have 2 3/4 chambers. What I do with my guns that have short chambers is cut down modern shells and roll crimp them.