The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 28, 2007, 08:37 PM   #1
Griswold

Anybody else see what I saw?

I know we're supposed to stay gun-oriented on this thread - but I swear in the first scenes of the new National Treasure movie, when the one fellow uses the short-barrelled Colt percussion revolver, the Italian proof marks had not been removed from it! (Two of them, on the right side, just ahead of the wedge.) Anybody else catch that? - Griswold
By the bells
Old December 28, 2007, 09:29 PM   #2
Chris_B

you know you're into BP shooting too much when...
Old December 28, 2007, 09:35 PM   #3
tplumeri

Ill check the dvd when available.
check my thread on "for a few dollras more" for more trivia questions
tom
Old December 28, 2007, 10:18 PM   #4
Colduglandon

Ever notice that the 30 cal belted machine gun ammo in Private Ryan had no primers.
Old December 28, 2007, 10:29 PM   #5
tplumeri

Quote:
Ever notice that the 30 cal belted machine gun ammo in Private Ryan had no primers

How the H### did you pick up on that?
I'm out of my league here!
Old December 29, 2007, 12:21 AM   #6
Hawg

Anybody notice the Henry in Dancing With Wolves was empty through the whole movie?
Old December 29, 2007, 07:35 PM   #7
ForksLaPush

You're quick.
"That looks like a Baby Dragoon" is as far as I got.
If the snake bites before it is charmed, there is no advantage in having a charmer. Ecclesiastes 10:11
Old December 29, 2007, 07:41 PM   #8
Griswold

Thanks, Folks

I was just attempting to point out out something I saw, & was looking for confirmation. If anyone else can verify, let me know. - Griswold
By the bells
Old December 29, 2007, 08:03 PM   #9
DrLaw

Just looks out of place

Quote:
Ever notice that the 30 cal belted machine gun ammo in Private Ryan had no primers

How the H### did you pick up on that?
I'm out of my league here!
Yeah, I saw it, too. Those big black holes at the base of the shells just looked so out of place.

Here's another one. Ever notice in the movie OPEN RANGE with Kevin Costner and Robert Duvall, that Costner shoots about 12 shots from a Colt Peacemaker without reloading? Or that James Bond tells a guy with a Colt automatic that he is using a Smith & Wesson and he had his 6 shots? (DR. NO)

The Doc is out now.
Old December 29, 2007, 08:45 PM   #10
tonelar

Also from the Wolf Dancing Costner film... that 44 rimfire is one shot killing those bisons.

Pretty powerful little round there... cheers y'all
Old December 29, 2007, 09:10 PM   #11
James K
Member In Memoriam

The Military Channel had a story the other night about a soldier in Iraq who fired a .50 Ma Deuce on an APC until he was killed. The "re-enactment" used blanks!

The same channel had "Russian" soldiers wearing British uniforms and helmets and carrying SMLE's. Sure!

And we all know the Winchester 1892 and Colt 1873 were used in the Civil War and trapdoor Springfields in the Revolution.

It is not just guns. Public TV did a show about Appalachia (gagging to those of us from that region, they couldn't even pronounce it right) and one segment was about the effect of the depression. A shot of men standing on the sidewalk was described by the narrator as men thrown out of work by the depression - while a 1959 Edsel drove past. What phonys!

Jim
Old December 29, 2007, 11:05 PM   #12
DrLaw

Little Lead Pills

Quote:
Also from the Wolf Dancing Costner film... that 44 rimfire is one shot killing those bisons.

Pretty powerful little round there... cheers y'all
It was just fast acting lead poisoning, that's all. Gotta remember. Henry's shot a lead bullet.

Seriously, I have to wonder how much penetration a Henry cartridge would have on a Buffalo. Anybody know?

The Doc is out now.
Old December 29, 2007, 11:48 PM   #13
tplumeri

OK then, how 'bout the scene in tombstone where wyatt is sitting at the faro table.
the card layout on the table is backwards!

How many rounds were in Blade's pistol in the original movie?
Old January 6, 2008, 10:33 AM   #14
hunter64

There are lots of fubar's in the movies and you would think that they would consult some experts to try and get it close to working. I saw the no primers in the 30 cal belt in Saving Private Ryan, even my 12 year old boy saw it. Lots of times you will see a seen with a Colt 1911 and the guy has been shooting 3 or 4 shots and to add drama the actor cocks the hammer again and demands something from the other actor. One seen in Ryan at the end with the group of Nazi's shooting at Hanks walking across the bridge, you can see that one of the k98's safety is on (over to the left) and yet the guy shoots. In the "Sgt. York" film York is using a Luger to shoot the advancing Germans and in reality it was a 1911. Lots wrong with Pearl Harbor, in one seen in the Battle of Britain, idiot arms his machine guns twice in the same seen and then shoots for 20 seconds 3 times, spitfire could only go for 13 seconds total and was out of ammo. Lots of fun.
Old January 6, 2008, 01:05 PM   #15
CraigC

Lots of fubars in movies and most the time they don't care. Some movie makers like Michael Mann go to a lot of trouble for realism but most don't. Oh sure, there are consultants on the set but too often "realism" gets pushed aside for drama. Let's face it, most movies are made by the uninformed, for the uninformed.

Just like Open Range, notice that Costner doesn't use the ejector rod? We all know that Costner is a well-versed shooter and that his character would've been working that sixgun so fast he would have had three empties in the air at once but that wouldn't have been dramatic enough.

By contrast, Tom Selleck has guns custom built for his movies for the ultimate in realism.
Old January 6, 2008, 01:43 PM   #16
4V50 Gary
Staff

Another thing on Pvt Ryan was the sniper scope. It was a Weaver Alaskan (or M81 or M82) when they hit the beach at Normandy and after taking out the pillbox, it grew into a Unertl 8x.
Old January 6, 2008, 02:02 PM   #17
Gewehr98

Fixed it for ya...

Quote:
It was a Lyman Alaskan (or M81 or M82)

Neural Misfires
Old January 6, 2008, 10:50 PM   #18
O6nop

Quote:
Just like Open Range, notice that Costner doesn't use the ejector rod? We all know that Costner is a well-versed shooter and that his character would've been working that sixgun so fast he would have had three empties in the air at once but that wouldn't have been dramatic enough.
I noticed that too, right after he was shot in the leg. He was shaking his revolver to get them to fall out, which means they couldn't have been fired because they would have expanded tight against the cylinder chamber.
He lso fanned his revolver nine times near the beginning of the gun fight and got as many rounds to fire out of one revolver.
Old January 7, 2008, 12:10 AM   #19
4V50 Gary
Staff

Thanks Gewehr98. I stand corrected.
Old January 8, 2008, 03:30 AM   #20
Buzzcook

Hunter I saw Sergeant York today and yes York used a Luger to shoot several Germans. He got the pistol from a German officer. So it wasn't an anachronism.
Old January 8, 2008, 06:15 AM   #21
Hawg

York didn't actually use a .45. They put that in the movie because the .45 won't cycle blanks.
Old January 8, 2008, 11:17 AM   #22
CraigC

Quote:
It was a Weaver Alaskan (or M81 or M82) when they hit the beach at Normandy and after taking out the pillbox, it grew into a Unertl 8x.
You didn't see him swap his scope back and forth throughout the movie?

Quote:
which means they couldn't have been fired because they would have expanded tight against the cylinder chamber.
With low or standard pressure loads brass usually falls out. Unless the chambers are rough. Then again, I don't shoot blackpowder in cartridges either.
Old January 8, 2008, 12:17 PM   #23
sundance44s

New fired cases will fall out of my Uberti 45 colt ..but once resized and reloaded a few times no ...
Old January 8, 2008, 12:33 PM   #24
bushidomosquito

My favorite is at the end of Bourne Ultimatum when Jason finds the guy that made him. He points a Glock dramaticly in his face and you hear a hammer pulled back, then the Glock morphs into a Sig, he points it at bad guys face and you hear a hammer pulled back. Then it changes back to a Glock and once again, back in his face and you hear a hammer pulled back. If he'd quit switchin' guns he would have only had to pull that Glock hammer once.

I drive my girlfriend nuts with this stuff. We watcher CSI Miami last night and someone pulls a .40 bullet from the wall. Officer Hottie looks at it and says "No lands and grooves". I said "Glock!...or maybe HK". Officer Hottie says "that means it's from a HK or a Glock".

"Bush is listening, use big words."
Old January 8, 2008, 10:50 PM   #25
DBotkin

It's not just you (other) gun geeks catching this stuff. Yeah, I noticed the missing primers in SPR, as well as most other films that show people toting linked MG ammo. But we hams notice uber-dorky stuff wrong in films, too. Wife & son & I were watching the latest Die Hard movie... the radio they showed in the unmarked cop car was a cheap 2-meter ham rig, tuned to a ham frequency. Lo and behold the rig in the FBI car was not only the SAME radio, on the SAME frequency... they just re-used the shot from the earlier NYPD car.

Watching the various Bourne flicks and others where they show the "super high tech NSA techies" supposedly monitoring all public service, cell and God-only-knows-what-other frequencies, they usually show a 80s to current vintage Kenwood or Icom HF radio, usually tuned somewhere in the 20 meter amateur band.

And I'll bet anyone with even a rudimentary understanding of high school physics finds it difficult not to jump up and yell, "BS!" at the screen in most action movies. Most of the "action sequences" are just so utterly stupid it detracts from the movie in most cases.

CraigC had it pegged... "movies are made by the uninformed, for the uninformed." Drama & entertainment trumps reality and accuracy (or even plausibility), both in Washington and in Hollyweird. But, hey, it's fun to watch anyway, you just have to practice the whole "suspending disbelief" thing. Good thing it's election season, we're getting tons of practice material!