The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 13, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1
8t6gt

Bobcat hunting in Michigan

So bobcat season starts in northern Michigan January 1st. Ive never been bobcat hunting before so I dont even know where to start. I dont want to run them with dogs but I know thats what most people that dont trap do. Im gonna just use my 17hmr for the gun I think that would be a good rifle if I wanna get a mount out of him when im done to save to fur. Am I right?

And can you just bait them like you would a beer or something haha. Im clueless as of how to atract a bobcat
Old October 14, 2008, 06:56 AM   #2
VaFisher

You may want to call them in with a good electronic call along with a mouth call for up close. The work great down here in VA and most other places that I know about. The work best at night but can be done in the day light, if so closer to dark the better. It's lot's of fun and very rewarding when things go right, still fun when it don't. Read up on it all you can before going, it will help you understand more about your prey, they are one of the toughest to come in on a call, you should also see lot's of yotes and foxes while doing this.
Old October 14, 2008, 10:03 AM   #3
model70fan

Call and be patient, bobcats typically take a long time coming in to a call, not like a yote where you leave after 20 minutes, bobs can take 2x or more time coming in and stillness is key, unless you are about perfectly still or dang lucky they will see you before you see them and you may never know they were even there.
Old October 14, 2008, 07:11 PM   #4
8t6gt

I think im gonna get a .223 Remington SPS rifle for it. .223 will be the ideal gun I assume. Or mabey a 204 Ruger I dont really have a good Varmit rifle and I want something to touch out further than my 17hmr with a little more punch. Im also hunting in a huge feild on my property or im gonna try the lake cause it will be frozen over in January when the season begins. So I want something to touch out across the lake (its a little lake).

But should I kill a rabbit and drag it across the lake and dump it in the middle to attract them?
Old October 15, 2008, 06:38 AM   #5
VaFisher

Don't discount that little .17hmr, they are deadly out to a decent range.
Old October 15, 2008, 08:16 AM   #6
jdscholer

I've called in several bobcats in the process of calling coyotes, and never killed one yet. Coyotes usually come bouncing in, and are easily spotted. Bobcats come sneaking in, and figure out the gig before we spot them. We decide nothing is coming, stand up and go," Damn, there goes a bobcat."
If you have a pardner, sit back to back, leaning on each other. Sit where you CAN'T see very far; think shotgun range, and don't move anything but your eyes. - this is where an electronic call would help.
If you lose the "shoot em at 200 yard" mind set, and keep yourselves hidden in the thick brush, you'll start having luck.
Bothersom as it is, we usually carry two guns. Shotgun with #4 buck on the lap, and .222 or equalivent along side. With coyotes, most get it with the scattergun. Good luck. jd
Old October 15, 2008, 11:16 AM   #7
8t6gt

Thanks. Ill let you all know how it turns out. Im starting to get geared up for the season now. I found a few good canidadtes for .223s in the Remington and Savage I gotta pick one now cause this will also be my varmit gun for a long time I imagine
Old October 15, 2008, 11:25 AM   #8
Daryl

I'm in Arizona, but we usually call them in with a predator call (electronic or hand calls, your choice).

For some reason, evenings seem to work better for cats than early mornings.

This one came in to a Fox Pro caller, with some hand calling mixed in.

Daryl

Old October 15, 2008, 04:19 PM   #9
8t6gt

Nice cat!

I picked up a 22-250 today I figure it will be a good in between rifle. Good for bobcats and Yotes and really any preditor out there besides the tiny little woodchucks or something but thats what I got my 17 hmr for haha.

So I guess I need to pick up some electronic calls. I got a dying rabbit hand call but im not very good. Ill practice with yotes with that and that should make me better. Mabey there is some how to's on Youtube for the calls im gonna check that out too.

Ill keep you guys posted about my car adventure it will probly turn out empty handed but I would rather be in the woods hunting then at work at nights and alone at home
Old October 15, 2008, 05:14 PM   #10
VaFisher

Nice cat there Daryl.
Old October 17, 2008, 08:23 AM   #11
ActivShootr

Very nice Daryl. Is that a UFO in the background?
Old October 17, 2008, 11:05 AM   #12
Daryl

Quote:
Is that a UFO in the background?
How'd you know?
Old October 17, 2008, 01:34 PM   #13
8t6gt

hahaha I didnt even notice the UFO
Old October 20, 2008, 08:34 PM   #14
hunter33

I didn't realize bobcats where so big! That's a bute!
Old October 21, 2008, 10:17 PM   #15
wpcexpert

I've called in several bobcats on accident. Mostly while turkey hunting. I've cought several stalking my decoys out of the corner of my eye. 2 were killed, the others were scared away due the Tom was closing in.
When once a republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.
- Thomas Jefferson