The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 13, 2011, 04:25 PM   #1
Detachment Charlie

Accurate #5 & #7 for 9mm

In need of s little info and a lot of opinion,so I think I came to the right place.
I am looking for a new powder for my 124gr 9mm RNL loads. Tried Titegroup, don't like it. Found the recoil impulse to be snappy.
I am looking hard at Accurate #5 and #7. Haven't found much info on them, but load data sheets look promising.
How do these meter?
Are they ball, flake, what?
What's the real world difference between #5 & #7?
Clean or dirty?
Temperature stability (I'm in Florida)?
What say you all?

The U.N. is a criminal organization.
Old March 13, 2011, 04:56 PM   #2
Clark

With most 9mm bullets and powders, not enough powder will fit into the case to make trouble with common case support.

AA#5 has the highest speed-density product I have found and it is peaky.
If a gun will not blow up with AA#5, then no powder will.

So don't accidentally put too much AA#5 in a 9mm case.
Other than that, great powder.
Old March 13, 2011, 06:52 PM   #3
medalguy

Both 5 and 7 meter like water, and yield very accurate and repeatable loads. 2 burns faster than 5 which burns faster than 7. All are ball type powders and I've found they burn pretty clean, unlike Unique. Temperature stable? I think that's only an issue in very cold climates for me.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:02 PM   #4
MOREAMMO

In my RCBS powder measure, #5 meters really well. I have just started using it myself. I find it cleaner than Titegroup. Can't comment on the temp stability as it has been cold here in WI since starting using it months ago. It came highly recommended by folks here when I was looking for a good all around powder. Have not tried #7. I like the #5 with Hornady 124 xtp's. Very accurate and comfortable to shoot.
Old March 13, 2011, 07:26 PM   #5
overkill0084

Use AA#5 a lot. It was my replacement for Unique. Meters well, clean burning.
I was using 5.3 gr w/ a 115 Rainier MC. Very accurate. It works well for me in .45 (midrange)and .357 (mild).
I would think temp stability in FL would be a non-issue. It gets hot, but not Africa or Arizona hot.
“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined, despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats.” — P.J. O’Rourke
Old March 13, 2011, 08:20 PM   #6
Mobuck

I've loaded a lot of 9mm with AA#7 and it seems to be OK. It provides a decent case fill and doesn't crud the bore any more than many other powders. I find these powders tend to cause binding with my LEE autodisk measure.
Old March 14, 2011, 03:07 PM   #7
oakfloor

New sig P226, win cases, CCI primers, sierra 115 JHP over 5.5 grs of AA #5 the first four shots were touching @ 25 yards. Try it out.
Old March 14, 2011, 03:43 PM   #8
Sid

I have used AA5 for many years with 125 grain LRN bullets. I use it with the charge bar in the Lee Pro Disc and it meters well. It is a ball powder and burns cleanly. Since you will be using lead bullets you are bound to get a certain amount of smoke.
Old March 14, 2011, 10:47 PM   #9
larryf1952

I use a lot of #5, along with HS6 and Power Pistol in the 9mm. I use them with 115 grain JHP's. They are all great powders that seem to work well in the small, high pressure cases. #5 also works well with the .40 S&W and .45ACP. I usually reserve #7 for mid range loads in the .357 Mag.
Old March 17, 2011, 02:48 PM   #10
HoosierShooter

I agree with you with Titegroup.I use AA#5 in 9mm & .40. Shoots great. Meters very good thru my RCBS powder charger, and shoots clean. I use Berrys 124g rn. 5.7 g AA#5. Its a light load and haven't worked it up,but i feel no need to cause it shoots great for me. I also like Ramshot true blue. Meters even better. Shoots great w/ 124 berrys rn 5.2 g & w/ lead bullets 4.5 g. Good luck and happy shooting!
Old March 17, 2011, 02:56 PM   #11
spacecoast

I've used a lot of AA#2 for 9mm and like it.
Old March 17, 2011, 04:29 PM   #12
crowbeaner

I like #5 myself. it has the approximate burn speed of Unique and SR 4756, but at much better cost than the IMR powders. It meters well, has good shot-to-shot consistency, and it's THE powder for 95 grain JHP 380 ammo.
Old March 18, 2011, 02:00 PM   #13
carprivershooter

AA#5

I have use AA# 5 and AA#7 for several years, I use for 9mm 45 acp, #7 for my 44spl and 44 mag. it measures well thru my Lee equipment. Tighgroup is ok but is a bit dirty. I use #2 for less recoil in all my pistols.
Old March 18, 2011, 02:08 PM   #14
scsov509

Quote:
I find these powders tend to cause binding with my LEE autodisk measure.
I've noticed a little of that too, not so much in the Auto-Disk, but definitely in the Perfect Powder Measure when working up loads or loading in smaller volume. I've pretty much gone to Power Pistol for most of my calibers to occupy that medium-burn rate, medium-full power load need. No 5 is a great powder though, you certainly can't go wrong with it.
Old March 18, 2011, 10:08 PM   #15
zplinker

titegroup too dirty?

Oddly, CCI, in the course of their testing a few years ago, found that titegroup generated less than 25 per cent of the particulate...as compared to the best of other powders. The testing was done by firing a set number of rounds over a containment sheet, and weighing what was collected. This was reported by Dillion Precision, in the Blue Press, and I cannot disagree. However, for 9mm loads with 125 gr. bullets, Accurate #7 is my top pick. After all, thats what it was developed for.