The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old October 16, 1998, 03:22 PM   #1
DH

In your opinion, what is the best gun film illustrating "accurate" arms, "correct" use, and "correct" handling?

I believe Mike Man directed "HEAT" they did a good job with weapons handling.I'm also proud of the kids on SOF, last year's version of the TV series.

[This message has been edited by Harry Humphries (edited 10-17-98).]
Old October 16, 1998, 03:44 PM   #2
Kodiac

Saving Private Ryan.

Can't respond to your choice but I understand from, those in the know, it was an excellent portreyal of WWII - about time.

[This message has been edited by Harry Humphries (edited 10-17-98).]
Old October 18, 1998, 08:46 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Watch most any John Millius (sp) film. They are rather accurate.
Old October 20, 1998, 09:01 AM   #4
Kodiac

Just watched TOMBSTONE last night. They did a very good job of recreating western style gun fights... I bet they had some SASS consultants or something... The style of gun fighting is more authentic than in other neowesterns. I like the big budget action movies... John Woo movies are ART - almost every one comes down to two men the good and the bad with a pistol aimed at each other at arms length. This is like a signature almost.
Full Auto movies - ALIENS was a good example of the TOMMY GUN everlasting in the guise of the M41A Pulse Rifle with its underslung SPAZ 12 (30MM grenade launcher). I almost cheered the prop guys for coming up with that gun. Very authentic likely future small arms. Not like some movies that have used paintball guns to build up into prop guns (Johny Mneumonic). Movie guns are a favorite topic of mine...
Old October 20, 1998, 10:12 PM   #5
Kodiac

Shoot, I forget one movie - very well done...
THE ROCK. For full auto fire it hard to beat. Some scenes are pretty dang cheesy while others are very cool. It is one of the more fun movies out there.
Old October 27, 1998, 07:15 PM   #6
danbrew

Heat. Hands down. When in the world is that movie going to come out on DVD?!

danbrew :->
Old October 28, 1998, 12:59 PM   #7
Nestor Rivera

2 movies come to mind

1 The Light Horsemen - WW-1 @ Bersheaba
No1 Enfields and Mausers very very good flick.

2 The Sharps Rifles Series of Made for TV in the UK shows the Brown Bess and the Baker
rifle. " what makes a good soldier ? The abality to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather"'

And NO I am not a brit nor an Anglophile just like these 2 a lot (the longest day is great also)
Old October 28, 1998, 04:06 PM   #8
David

On a related subject, several months ago,
I was able to visit a company that supplies
firearms to the movie industry.
They had M134 mini guns, 20 mm gatling cannons, and EVERYTHING in between.
(I got to hold ARNOLD'S mini gun)
They had a 20 mm cannon that was cut down to
about 2 feet long. They said it was loud!
You can see it in the movie "ARMAGGEDON"
What a day.....
Old October 29, 1998, 07:31 AM   #9
PAZ

How about Dillon's Firestorm in the Desert "Machine Gun Magic" !!!

PAZ
Old October 29, 1998, 12:08 PM   #10
Rob Pincus

Okay, I am more of a spoiler on this subject than anything else. Part of my cynical nature.

Heat: cool guns, but that big shootout in the streets ruined it for realism. A.-never would've happened. B. would've been over REAL quick for the bad guys if it had.

The Rock: Pretty darn realistic, though I think that there should've been a subtle ringing in the background of the soundtrack for everyone involved in the shower room shootout for the rest of the movie.

John Milius gets my nod as "most accurate movie gun guy". Occassional RPG fireballs aside, Red Dawn gets really close to best/most realistic Gun Movie.

Meanwhile, my contributions:
I am a minimalist when it comes to gun use.. too much gun use usually spells instant removal from the "realistic" list for me:

Resevoir Dogs, gun play is short and violent.

True Romance, same.

Assassins.

That movie we made with my parents Video camera over easter break back when I was in college we called it "Muzzle blasts and things exploding".. (you may not have seen it..but it was cool, trust me.)

Casablanca, guns used more as threats and deterants than anything else.

Taps.

Godfather Series.

Killing Zoe.

Old October 29, 1998, 11:40 PM   #11
JPR

I remember watching the news reports about the North Hollywood bank shoot-out shortly after watching "Heat." When I saw it, I thought, "didn't I just see this movie?" I wonder if the two bad guys saw that movie one to many times...

[This message has been edited by JPR (edited 10-29-98).]
Old October 29, 1998, 11:55 PM   #12
Rob Pincus

That shootout exposed the difference between reality and movies.. Cops don't let thousands of rounds fly on city streets.
Old October 30, 1998, 12:30 AM   #13
john e

The movie HEAT had a former British SAS member ( veteran of the Gulf War and other incursions )the gentleman Andy McNab has written several book and is a "warrior"
Old October 30, 1998, 02:01 AM   #14
Rob Pincus

I went out a got "A better Tomorrow" one of (if not THE) first Woo/Fat team ups and it is a great movie. Not as polished as The Killer, but a good movie. As expected, loads of gunplay, quite a few reloads, a dry fire or two, and (of course) lots of scenes where Chow decides "Hey, with all these guns around, I'll just drop this one..." [the camera follows gun to floor, then cuts back to Chow with a new gun] .."yeah, this one is much better"

How does he do that?!?