The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old October 13, 2017, 11:21 PM   #26
bamaranger

Ruger /Brownell/Sullivan

I just checked my Ruger book. Len Brownell and Jim Sullivan were hired about the same time. Sullivan claims he worked out a stock to satisfy the inletting aspect, and Brownell got a real chuckle out of it. Brownell was free to work on the appearance, exterior, within Ruger's guidelines.

Sullivan claimed that Ruger came up with the diagonal bedding screw "out of the blue" and went on to tout same as a solution to many of the bedding issues associated with vertical bedding screws. Remember, this is Sullivan/Ruger, not me. The bump for forend pressure is not discussed in the text one way or the other. I'd go look on my early 77V, but it is so deep in the safe, it's too much trouble. Seems like it does have a bump. It darn sure will shoot, I suspect the contract 77V barrels were first rate. I have never heard of anyone who had a bad shooting 77V.
Old October 14, 2017, 10:42 PM   #27
FrankenMauser

Quote:
I'd go look on my early 77V, but it is so deep in the safe, it's too much trouble. Seems like it does have a bump. It darn sure will shoot, I suspect the contract 77V barrels were first rate. I have never heard of anyone who had a bad shooting 77V.
Same here.
Great shooters, and very long-lived, by nearly all accounts.

The worst decision I ever made with a Ruger was rebarreling my 77V/T .220 Swift to a 6mm Wildcat. -- I was tired of the annealing, case trimming, reaming, neck turning, etc. -- Great barrel. Even with over 3,200 rounds down the pipe, it looked pristine. A predator control guy in Montana bought it from me, to put on his own .220 Swift 77V that was shot out (he figured in excess of 12,000 rounds). Last I heard, "my" barrel was still Kickin' Nass and Takin' Manes.
Old October 15, 2017, 09:35 PM   #28
reynolds357

Frankenmauser, as I said, if a rifle shoots better with a pressure point something is screwed up. In the instance of your illustration, the stress relief process on your barrel is what was screwed up.
Old October 15, 2017, 10:02 PM   #29
FrankenMauser

Not all manufacturers stress relieve.

It can't be screwed up if it was never attempted.
Old October 15, 2017, 10:59 PM   #30
reynolds357

Its screwed up that its a s
crappy barrel.

Last edited by reynolds357; October 16, 2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old October 16, 2017, 08:07 AM   #31
pmsmith2032

Thanks! Are these the correct two areas I need to bed:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Glass Bedding (1024x249).jpg (189.0 KB, 71 views)
Old October 16, 2017, 11:35 AM   #32
AllenJ

I bedded the lug area when I did mine, don't know if you want to do the same.
Old October 17, 2017, 04:39 PM   #33
cw308

For spot bedding they are the areas , a complete bed is 1" forward of the lug all the way back to the rear post , uses more bedding compound , harder cleanup . Is the barrel free floated ? What is the torque setting on your rifle. My stock was free floating HS precision stock , the torque setting is 65" lbs. on both stock screws , with the rifle in place I put electrical tape around the barrel about 3" in to level the barrel , also placed a register mark by using masking tape on the end of the stock to match up with the tape & mark on the lower part of the barrel , just to keep everything squared up when setting the barrel & action into the stock .