The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 18, 2017, 06:02 PM   #1
PlatinumCore16

H&R Shotgun(s)

So in another thread someone asked about the new single shots from Savage and the break action shotguns (from what I know) are just clones of the H&R shotties. Obviously if H&R went out of business, I think that their decision is a questionable one, but that's really not my initial point here (sorry for rambling).

My question is: H&R break action shotguns aren't really collectors items, especially the plain-jane 12s and 20s. Seeing as H&R is completely defunct, would it even be worth it to hold on to a mid SN# topper? I was thinking of getting rid of it to go towards my next purchase, but something keeps stopping me. I can't shoot the darn thing because I'm lanky and it punches my cheekbone whenever I do. I have seriously considered putting on a nice brown Pachmeyer pad (the one with the white strip in the material, they just look so darn good) and it would only add to the asthetics, though it wouldn't exactly be true to form. It also might not be enough. Mine is in great condition, the blueing is still holding up, and there are no marks in the wood, though I also thought that maybe a darker stain would look nicer and fit well with the new pad. It also has the case hardened coloring on the receiver. It's a nice specimen, but would it ever actually gain in value?

Thanks, Platinum
Old May 18, 2017, 08:51 PM   #2
Blindstitch

Depends how you value it.

Personally a gun that doesn't shoot right or a gun I don't want to shoot has no value to me.

Would you actually use the single shot? I don't so I don't have any.

The last question is what do you actually think it's worth? Not what someone says but actual dollars that someone would give you. If it's not worth much it might not even be worth the effort to sell.

Adding a recoil pad sounds like throwing money at a problem when you still want to replace it. My vote is get the gun you want.
Old May 18, 2017, 09:02 PM   #3
Snyper

Quote:
would it ever actually gain in value?
It's highly unlikely.
They weren't worth a lot new.

It's not a bad thing to stash by the back door for the occasional predator, but it's not worth keeping as an investment.
Old May 18, 2017, 09:15 PM   #4
FITASC

Quote:
but would it ever actually gain in value?
Seriously doubtful; used they are worth maybe $50-$60?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 18, 2017, 09:40 PM   #5
g.willikers

As little as its probably worth, why not keep it.
Never know when an extra shotgun might come in handy.
Like for launching red, white and blue flares on Independence day.
Old May 18, 2017, 09:45 PM   #6
JoeSixpack

Fairly cheap when new, No real collector value, not likely to appreciate in value.

I suppose there might be someone out there actively looking for it but how long it's going to take to find that person willing to pay above and beyond?

I'd go along with Snyper, try to find a use for it, but it sounds like you don't wanna shoot it anyway.. use it as trade fodder, give it to a friend/family member, or just stash it somewhere and forget it.

Im sure you could off load it fairly easy at a gun show for 40-50 bucks.. if you just wanna get rid of it.

Not sure how much that pad you're talking about costs but I agree I would not buy one just to try and raise the value..

IF such a pad would make it a viable gun for you to use then it might be worth the investment however.
Old May 18, 2017, 11:17 PM   #7
Bill DeShivs

I can remember when H&R singles sold for $25 or $30 used. Now they bring upwards of $125 used.
I guess they increased in value-wouldn't you say?
Old May 19, 2017, 12:36 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

It's not collectible at all.

The only value is what you can sell it for, and what it's worth to you. (Which isn't a whole lot on the market.)

If you sell it, you'll miss it.
If you keep it, you'll wonder why you've never sold it.

Six of one. Half a dozen of the other.
Make a decision and don't look back.

As for H&R...
Quote:
Obviously if H&R went out of business, I think that their decision is a questionable one, but that's really not my initial point here
H&R is still in business, but the single-shot rifles and shotguns were not profitable enough for Remington/Cerberus. So they discontinued the model line.
They were still profitable -- just not profitable enough to keep the massive investment group happy. (Gotta love having 3,000 millionaires on your "board of directors".... )
Old May 19, 2017, 02:43 AM   #9
TxGun

the single-shot rifles and shotguns were not profitable enough for Remington/Cerberus. So they discontinued the model line.

That's unfortunate. Just wondering when H&R officially discontinued their single-shot guns? They are still pretty prominent on their website. I guess I missed the news somehow.

Last edited by TxGun; May 19, 2017 at 02:52 AM.
Old May 19, 2017, 07:16 AM   #10
FITASC

Quote:
I can remember when H&R singles sold for $25 or $30 used. Now they bring upwards of $125 used.
I guess they increased in value-wouldn't you say?
And just how LONG ago was that......

Plug the numbers and dates into one of those inflation calculators and see
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 19, 2017, 09:24 AM   #11
Snyper

Quote:
Just wondering when H&R officially discontinued their single-shot guns?
They started phasing them out in 2014 and ceased production in 2015.

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...r-from-now-on/
Old May 19, 2017, 10:25 AM   #12
Gunplummer

They make fantastic "Brush guns" with slugs for deer hunting. Cut the tube down and the only thing shorter would be a handgun.
Old May 19, 2017, 01:41 PM   #13
osbornk

I recently sold two old but nice single shot shotguns because I knew I wouldn't shoot them as I prefer my pump ones. One was an old Savage and the other was a H&R. I sold them both to a friend for $50 each. I gave him the choice of either one for $50 and he took them both. I tried one on Armslist for $75 and got no responses since I live in the sticks.
Old May 19, 2017, 01:59 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Fitasc- about 15 years ago.
Old May 20, 2017, 03:12 PM   #15
TruthTellers

I think given that H&R is no longer around, you can't take advantage of any of their extra barrel fitting services, nor could you send it in if something broke on it.

If you don't want it, don't keep it. If you think it's going to be worth money someday, I'd say your head is in the clouds, anything H&R is generally not valuable unless it's rare or uncommon. H&R break action single shots are about as common as common gets.
Old May 21, 2017, 09:52 AM   #16
osbornk

I don't think there will be much demand and much value in cheap single shot shotguns in our lifetime. I'm almost 70 and have spent my life in farm country in the mountains. Almost everyone always had a cheap single shot shotgun that was considered nothing more than a tool for predators and hunting deer as well as squirrels and rabbits. They were not shot a lot because of the cost of ammo and their infrequent need. They are still many around. They were kept in closets, behind the door and out in the barn. They were and are inherited by the kids and relatives who have little or no use for them.

The two I recently sold for $50 each were still in very good condition that made in the late 40s and early 50s. I inherited them about 15 years ago and I shot them for the first time in decades. I sold them because I knew I would never use them. Like most people who like shotguns, I prefer pump shotguns or a semi-automatic.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:04 AM   #17
PlatinumCore16

Thanks all. A little clarification:
A new pad was not to "increase the value", it would be to enable the gun to be usable by me due to my lanky arms. I was merely curious if H&R would increase in value over time. I would agree that it most likely won't, aside from inflation.

I would love to be able to shoot this gun, though I would rather an O/U for breaking clays. However I think there is something simplistic about a single shot and it conjours a feeling of old-timey or nostalgia.

But at the same time, if I can get some value from it for a trade, that might be worth it as well.

Thank you all for the input and my sincere apologies for the superfluous language (case in point). I just finished reading through a couple court documents on the Peruta vs. County of San Diego case and holy cow, lawyers/judges are long winded, though elegant.

I think I'll keep it and see if the pad would make it actually usable, which would be fun. And maybe keep it for a family present.
Old May 22, 2017, 10:36 AM   #18
g.willikers

If things get rough, a single shot shotgun could become a valued tool.
It can be used as a muzzle loader if things get desperate.
Just a thought.
Old May 22, 2017, 02:37 PM   #19
Blindstitch

A $20 pad might be worth it or a waste. I do have a pachmayr decelerator slip on pad that I use on my Winchester 94 to add length. It works pretty good and you don't have to alter the gun to fit it.

Here's an amazon link but many places stock it including some walmarts.
https://www.amazon.com/Pachmayr-Dece.../dp/B00542J1PO
Old May 22, 2017, 02:56 PM   #20
Kreyzhorse

They make nice back up guns. I wouldn't sell it and I doubt they will ever become a collector piece so keep it and shoot it as you see fit.
Old June 15, 2017, 01:27 AM   #21
jstert

H&R Shotgun(s)

h&r single shotguns are handy and simple, no jams, no short strokes. even the newest of gun newbie can use one quickly in a pinch. since they are no longer in production i would keep at least one, as a shooter, not collector. here is my under the bed 20 gauge.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old June 15, 2017, 07:33 AM   #22
Model12Win

The pardner pump is very well thought of. It is made in China from reports but overall some even consider it as good if not better than the current Remington 870 expresses, at a notably lower price point. Great truck guns.
Old June 16, 2017, 11:35 AM   #23
PlatinumCore16

Yea I have a Stevens 320 (Savage's budget, Chinese-made, Win1300 clone, it runs well provided I do my part). Not too worried about a shotgun for HD, or even clays/hunting as my 320 has both the 18.5" cyl. choke and a 26" bbl with removable choke. I just happened to pick up an H&R break, single-shot, prior to moving.

Jstert, I like that butt pad. Not sure how tall you are, but how is the length of pull on that guy?
Old June 17, 2017, 04:19 PM   #24
Rob228

If you are hesitant to trade it, hold on to it. It won't go far towards your next purchase and you might just regret it.
Old June 19, 2017, 05:45 PM   #25
GarandTd

I have an NEF pardner single shot. It was my 1st real firearm. It was a Christmas gift when I was 11. It holds sentimental value for that reason and the fact that my son broke his shotgun virginity with it. That aside, it doesn't get used much. I graduated to a pump. But, the simplicity of the break action shotgun brings me a child like joy when I do shoot it. Also, I feel like it's kind of a piece of Americana. A throwback to simpler times. It has a place in the collection.