The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 13, 2006, 08:03 PM   #1
stallion114

HD shotgun advice

Well I decided I was going to buy a shorter barrel and get a extended magazine for my 870 to double as a HD shotgun. But I now have decided to chip the extra $$ and get a new gun.
I wanted to know if I should go with the 18 or 20 inch barrel. My local sporting goods store has 12 gauge 870s with 28 inch barrels for 209.99. I can sell the barrel for about the same price a as an 18 inch (option 1). The same store has an 870 rifeled combo for 309.99. I could sell the field barrel for and leave myself with the 20 inch rifeled barrel. (option 2)
So my question is what is the better HD barrel an 18" or a 20". Where the 20 would be rifeled. Does a rifeled barrel mean I can only shoot slugs, or can I shoot slugs, buckshot and birdshot out of either barrel?
Thanks
ALSO if you think the 870 is a bad choice and the mossberg is the way to go, tell me why. And does anyone know how much an 18 inch mossy goes for with an extended magazine included?
Old November 13, 2006, 11:36 PM   #2
Dfariswheel

Rifled shotgun barrels are for use with sabot slugs ONLY.
NO birdshot, buckshot, or standard rifled slugs.

You can buy a new 18" smooth bore barrel direct from Remington for a little over $120 ??

The difference between an 18" and a 20" is 2" inches and your personal preference.
There is no real advantage to a 20", and the 18's" advantage is it's handier in close spaces by 2".

The Remington is the best pump shotgun made, and the one all others are judged by.

My suggestion: Buy a new Remington Express with an 18" barrel and the factory magazine extension.
http://www.remington.com/products/fi...tic_18inch.asp

This way, you get the gun you want as a factory gun.

As a little help: The actual dealer's price is around $260 for the Express 18" with extension. That is, that's the price HE pays for it.
Old November 14, 2006, 12:21 AM   #3
buckster

Chop saw

It's cheaper. I bought a Mav 88 in 28" [137.00 Academy] and took it down to 22" with the saw and re-blued the end, and put an Allen sight set on it. A cross between a Turkey and H/D gun. Just make sure it's square when you chop it. Total cost 20.00 Just make sure you remember the plug when you hunt with it!
Old November 14, 2006, 10:32 AM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Really no practical difference between 18 and 20". I've one of each. Maybe a little less flash with the 20" in low light.

HD shotgunning is effective, IF the shooter is up to the job. The hardware's not the most crucial part.

Rifled barrels are for slugs, period.

While my choice is the venerable 870, the 500 Mossy and its kin are good shotguns. Get the one that feels best...