The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 3, 2006, 02:43 PM   #1
TX RONIN

Which 870 should I get?

Hello everyone... new member and new to shotguns.
I have a choice of either:
a)870 Express Synthetic 18" for $325 new
b)870 Marine for $397 "used" but has never been fired
or
c)order a 870P (how much are these running?)

Money IS an issue, so I want to get the best deal I can.

Also I'm a lefty and these are all righthanded guns, the only issue I have with RH guns is the safety. Can I have that reversed, and what should I expect to pay for that?
Old November 3, 2006, 02:54 PM   #2
cavediver27

That 870 Marine Magnun looks pretty nice to me at $397.00, especially if it is un-fired and in like-new condition.
Old November 3, 2006, 09:47 PM   #3
Dfariswheel

The most expensive option is the 870P Police gun.

Of the choices, if you can do with a bright satin nickel finish, the Magnum Marine is very good.

You can easily install your own left-handed safety:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/DisplayAd....SKU=931440&MC=

Installation is an easy drop-in do-it-yourself job.
After you get it, post and we'll tell you how.
Old November 3, 2006, 10:05 PM   #4
TX RONIN

Thanks guys....
I think I will go pick up the MM next week.
Just a warning for everyone... the guy that showed me the 870 Express Synthetic told me it was an 870 "Police Shotgun".
Kinda ticked me off since this is a well established local dealer who I've dealt with before that specializes in LE gear.
I'll post again when Iget the MM and the LH safety
Old November 14, 2006, 08:24 AM   #5
MrKTI

Pardon me for jumping in, but I also am considering changing my 870 to a left handed safety ... could you please explain the proceedure.

I assume it's a twist and push thing, but I don't want to mess up the old safety.

Thanks ...

John
Durand, IL
Old November 14, 2006, 11:20 AM   #6
stallion114

If you really want to go cheap, you can buy a regular 870 far a little over 200 dollars new. Sell the 28 or 26 inch barrel it cames with on ebay and buy a 18, and then just order a extended magazine, and you could be 250 out the door
Old November 14, 2006, 08:50 PM   #7
Dfariswheel

MrKTI:

Changing out the safety is fairly easy.
Here's how:

At the extreme rear of the trigger group, right above the safety you'll see a small silver cross pin.
Directly above that on top of the group is a hole.

Put your finger over the top hole to catch the spring, and push out the silver cross pin.

Remove the safety detent spring from the top hole, and remove the safety.
NOTE: under the spring is a TINY ball detent. It usually stays in the hole, or can be removed by turning the group over and gently bumping it until the ball drops out.

Lube the safety, ball detent, and detent spring.

Inset the new safety.
Be sure the red band is on the LEFT side of the guard.
Drop the ball in the hole if it was removed, and insert the detent spring in the hole.

Use a small punch or screwdriver to push the detent spring down, and being sure the safety stays in place, push the silver cross pin in from the RIGHT side, being sure the tapered end goes in first.

Test the safety to insure it works properly, and works with a clean "SNAP".
Old November 14, 2006, 09:31 PM   #8
MrKTI

Thanks for your response ...

Believe it or not, I found this 870 laying in the road, along with a scattered box of shells. Must have fallen off somebody's truck or something. Wasn't even scratched up ... the case was near by and it must have stayed in the case until the last few feet.

I have posted my 'discovery' at my local gun shop and a local store and hope the owner will pop up, they must be pretty pissed about this. I have a vault full of guns and don't really need another, or so my wife says, but I will keep it if no one comes forward. It's a nice firearm ... 20 gauge 870 Express, Parkerized so not fancy, but nice.

I won't mess with it untill I am sure no one claims it.

This has nothing to do with the orginal question, just an interesting story.

BTW, this gun has the lockable safety, will your method still work ???

Thanks again ... this is a cool forum and I appreciate the expert assistance.

John
Old November 14, 2006, 10:42 PM   #9
terrymo

MrKTI
"I also am considering changing my 870 to a left handed safety."

I believe the instructions from Dfariswheel only apply to changing a right handed safety to another brand or model of right handed safety.

"At the extreme rear of the trigger group, right above the safety you'll see a small silver cross pin. Directly above that on top of the group is a hole."

This hole is offset within the assembly so in order to change from a right hand safety to a left hand safety this hole would have to be filled and another drilled.
Old November 15, 2006, 02:18 PM   #10
nkielborn

im looking at buying the 870 synthetic. ive shot the 870p but is outta my price range but its a solid weapon and i ve alo used the wichester 1300 and fires fine. i do like the 870 for it being used by most police departments so you know it reliable thats my 2 cents.
Old November 15, 2006, 03:51 PM   #11
stallion114

Suggestion

My local sporting goods store (dunhams) has expresses for 209.99. If you buy one of these, and sell the barrel on ebay you will have enough to buy a 18 inch barrel and mag extension. I think I am going to pick one up today.
Old November 16, 2006, 06:19 PM   #12
FAL-schutter

I've been wondering about the price discrepancy between, say, a basic Express 18" Synthetic (which seems to go for around $300 new), and the most basic 870P (18", bead sights, IC choke, blued), which costs around $100 more. What is it about the 870P that puts an extra third on the price? Does anybody know?
Old November 16, 2006, 06:40 PM   #13
akr

Quote:
Thanks for your response ...

Believe it or not, I found this 870 laying in the road, along with a scattered box of shells. Must have fallen off somebody's truck or something. Wasn't even scratched up ... the case was near by and it must have stayed in the case until the last few feet.

I have posted my 'discovery' at my local gun shop and a local store and hope the owner will pop up, they must be pretty pissed about this. I have a vault full of guns and don't really need another, or so my wife says, but I will keep it if no one comes forward. It's a nice firearm ... 20 gauge 870 Express, Parkerized so not fancy, but nice.

I won't mess with it untill I am sure no one claims it.

This has nothing to do with the orginal question, just an interesting story.

BTW, this gun has the lockable safety, will your method still work ???

Thanks again ... this is a cool forum and I appreciate the expert assistance.

John
John, did you put an ad in the paper or put it on the radio? If he's that careless with it, though, maybe you ought to keep it...may save a life.....for now, anyway.
Old November 16, 2006, 08:20 PM   #14
Lee Lapin

FAL,

The 870P is the crown jewel of Remington's 870 line. It's assembled with a good deal more hand work and has some different heavier duty parts (springs, shell latches etc) than Wingmasters or Express guns.

Personally I'd as soon have a Wingmaster or a good older Express model, 870s are genetically tough as nails. I do have one 870P in the stable here, bought used in like-new condition.

hth,

lpl/nc
Old November 17, 2006, 05:18 AM   #15
FAL-schutter

Thank you, Lee. I guessed there had to be a reason, given how positive so many posters on this board are about the 870P.

I'm looking at getting a shotgun for home defense purposes (I'm not currently a gun owner, but my wife and I recently had a baby, which got my protective urges going), and which would also be useful for camping trips (we do get bears in these parts). In the interest of "jury-proofing," I'd also like to avoid anything that looks too "tactical," so preferably no pistol grips, light mounts etc. I'd prefer it to just look (and be) utilitarian, while still retaining certain features suited to home defense, such as an 18" barrel and an extended magazine.

So I'm thinking this new 870 XCS Marine Magnum really fits the bill. It even comes standard with the SpeedFeed I stock, which I'd thought would be a nice addition anyway.
Old November 17, 2006, 12:21 PM   #16
chris in va

Don't forget the Knoxx SpecOps stock.
Old November 17, 2006, 12:25 PM   #17
MrKTI

Quote:
John, did you put an ad in the paper or put it on the radio? If he's that careless with it, though, maybe you ought to keep it...may save a life.....for now, anyway.
Well, I am left handed and Swedish ... hard to condemn someone for doing something stupid ... probably just a dumb mistake.

I have told everyone I know mostly 'cause its a neat story, and mentioned it at my local gun store and at the beer store I was coming from when I found it (Pecotonica, IL). No ads. I am not sure what I would do if this were my mistake ... maybe just go hide in the barn for awhile. Not sure I would call the guy that found it ...

My wife said she would pay good money to watch an old fat guy like me running all over Pec road picking up those shells ... while watching for grain trucks and semis. Something about free stuff I guess ...

John
Old November 17, 2006, 12:51 PM   #18
akr

You bet it's a neat story. I think I would get out the cleaning cloth and wax. clean off the case too, and add it to my collection....if no one responds.

Hey! I'm fat, too! Welcome to the forum!