The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 14, 2017, 08:41 AM   #26
peterg7

I would spend the money on being proficient with the CC gun. ammo and a couple of good holsters to start followed by range time and training.

2nd gun comes after you’ve had a chance to evaluate the shield and then make a rational not emotional choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old December 14, 2017, 10:21 AM   #27
SonOfScubaDiver

I think you should hold off on getting the snubby until you get some range time in with your Shield. Trust me on this--you could very easily end up buying three or more holsters before you find just the right one for you. That's going to cost a few bucks right there. You're probly gonna want another magazine or two--more money. And then--you really should practice as much as you can with that Shield until you get very familiar with it--more money. Try at least three or four different types of self defense ammo until you find the one that's right for you and your gun. Learning a new gun's ins and outs can take a few trips to the range and cost you more than you think. Focus on the Shield and get the snubby on down the road a bit. They're a different breed of gun than your Shield, and you're going to want to do the same thing with it as the Shield--find the right holster, try out different ammo, spend time learning how to shoot it well, etc.
Old December 14, 2017, 12:43 PM   #28
bassJAM1

Either hold off on the second gun and buy more ammo and range time...or buy a .22 handgun and use that to practice with.

Small conceal carry guns are hard for a lot of us to shoot, and having a .22 will let you concentrate on skills like trigger control without experiencing recoil.
Old December 14, 2017, 09:57 PM   #29
rock185

Might as well buy the J-Frame. Sounds like that's really what you'd like to do. I would, and have No justification or anybody's opinion needed to validate my gun buying decisions.....ymmv
Old December 15, 2017, 08:33 AM   #30
Onward Allusion

I have a few toys.

I found that I was most accurate in my shooting was when I shot exclusively with my beater 5946. I got to the point where I was shooting less than 1¨ groupings of 5 shots off-hand at 10 yards. However, I was also shooting 3x a week.

Stay with the gun you have. Get a few accessories. Get a lot of ammo and shoot, shoot, shoot. At some point, you will get good and bored. Get a revolver, then,

Last edited by Onward Allusion; December 15, 2017 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Clarification on distance being shot . . .