The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old August 2, 2017, 04:46 PM   #51
mapsjanhere

F. Guffey, how many of the shooter rifles were actually numbers matching? German rifles were hand fitted, so bolt face/shoulder distance would be off if not matching.
I don't understand the gage issue as M88, 7.92S and 7.92sS all have the same gage dimensions.
Old August 3, 2017, 10:17 AM   #52
F. Guffey

Quote:
F. Guffey, how many of the shooter rifles were actually numbers matching? German rifles were hand fitted, so bolt face/shoulder distance would be off if not matching.
If only I had the luxury of disagreeing but I did purchase 4 Mausers that were sold as suspect. SO! and then ? I took the rifles apart and measured the receivers and bolts; I then took one barrel and screwed it into one of the receivers. The chamber on the one barrel was a wildcat and then I selected one bolt to test all four receivers. The case head protrusion from the one barrel was .110". After assemble and testing I did not have more than .001" difference in length between the chambers.

I have 35 03 bolts, I have measured the effect each one has on the length of the chamber. I do not have an 03 bolt that will change the length of the chamber .001". I have as many Mauser bolts, the Internet smiths have a cute saying when purchasing bolts for Mausers, they suggest purchasing bolts by the bucket to increase the chances of finding a bolt that will correct the length of the chamber.

Back to the collector and his collection; I sent him gages that were for short chambers, I sent him gages for long chambers, the longest gages was .024" longer than a minimum length/full length sized case meaning had he chambered a full length sized case in the chamber and then pulled the trigger he would have started with .024" clearance and NO! there was no guarantee the case would have suffered case head separation and that brings up the other silly saying. Reloaders claim the firing pin drives the case forward to the shoulder of the chamber and I always ask how can that be? If the shoulder of the case is driven to the shoulder of the chamber etc. etc. and then it gets too complicated to keep up with.

F. Guffey
Old August 3, 2017, 10:40 AM   #53
F. Guffey

Quote:
I don't understand the gage issue as M88, 7.92S and 7.92sS all have the same gage dimensions.
The collector/shooter ask for help, he offered to load up his collection and haul it to a smith within 100 miles if they agree to check both chambers. Gage issue? It was not my intention to overload him with information, I did offer to make him a gage that would help him sort modified chambers. I did offer to form cases for his long chambers; that was more information and help than he asked for.

Quote:
The collector/shooter ask for help,
When it came to help there was me and nobody. And the cute part was the 'no-help' was on a gun forum, there were all of those smiths and then there was me.

F. Guffey
Old August 4, 2017, 08:24 AM   #54
mapsjanhere

I think I order a gage and check my 88s, 98s and k98s. Just for kicks and grins.
Old August 4, 2017, 04:41 PM   #55
F. Guffey

I gave him a choice, I told him I had 35 8mm57 Mausers that I checked with just one gage. There is Steve's Page 8, SAAMI, Lee's Modern Reloading etc. for resource.

He liked the ideal of having 26 options, if he choose to have me form cases for his long chambers all he had to do was give me the number on the gage.

F. Guffey