The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 13, 2018, 12:34 PM   #1
M1ke10191

Trade value for Colt 1911 Government XSE

Hey guys,

I looked around on Google and for whatever reason had a very hard time finding price ranges for this pistol. I'm looking at trading it into my LGS and I don't want to go in there asking for the sky.

I'm not going to waste time putting up pics but for condition, I'd rate it as very good/excellent. No blemishes at all, no rust, probably only had a few hundred rounds through it. Blued finish.

I know I overpaid back when I was living in NY (something like $1,100, and I bought it used), and I'm sure it's not that valuable, but I'm not really sure what a fair asking price on a trade would be.

And yes, I've traded many guns into an LGS before and I understand they like to lowball in general, and that's fine. Any help you guys can give would be awesome!
Old January 13, 2018, 01:52 PM   #2
spacemanspiff

Got to figure that a LGS is going to offer you just enough so that they can turn a 5-10% profit when they resell it. Gunbroker has a handful of used XSEs in the 800+ range. But the market for them in your area may vary from the gunbroker prices.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:14 PM   #3
mikejonestkd

A new blued XSE typically sold for $900 range. A LGS will have to try to make a profit on it, you'll be fortunate to get $700 value on a trade.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:22 PM   #4
agtman

Quote:
A new blued XSE typically sold for $900 range. A LGS will have to try to make a profit on it, you'll be fortunate to get $700 value on a trade.
In this market, he'd be doing good to get $700 in a private sale, since any buyer is going to assume there's something up with it, even in VG-Exc condition.

Especially the Pony 'experts.' .... They're a real tough crowd to work when you're trying to dump almost any Colt 1911.
Old January 13, 2018, 02:26 PM   #5
JDBerg

Based on my experiences of late, you might be really disapointed when you are trying to get “fair” trade value for your XSE. I’ve learned in my last 2 recent used gun deals that it’s much better to be a buyer than a seller. You might try to consign it with a dealer that sells a lot of guns, then get ready for lowball offers less the consignment fee, which is the dealers cut. The dealer might not want to take your consignment if you price it too high Good luck, keep telling yourself it’s a learning process, & keep your progress posted here.
Old January 13, 2018, 09:18 PM   #6
Bilbo463

I have the exact same pistol on consignment at my local range for $799. Placed it there in early November........so far no bites. My local gun range/ gun shop is a busy place, but I’ve noticed that the stock of consignment firearms has grown and the number of buyers has dwindled. The market for firearms appears to have softened.... I’m actually considering picking up the Colt and taking her home again...
Old January 13, 2018, 09:29 PM   #7
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I'm sure you know that the XSE is now an obsolete model. It was a grade or two above the 1991 series, so the closest thing in Colt's current lineup is probably the Competition Pistol, which has an MSRP of $999 and probably sells on the street for $800 to $850. (Bud's has it for $835).

That means for a used pistol to compete against a new pistol, the used one has to be priced enough lower than the new one to attract a buyer. That means a selling price of not more than $700 or maybe $750. I don't think any gun shop will take in a trade if they can only expect to make 5% to 10% on it -- expect what you're offered to factor in that the shop wants to make 20% to 25% minimum as mark-up. I'd say you're looking at a trade-in value of $500 to perhaps $550 at the top.

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; January 14, 2018 at 01:16 AM.
Old January 13, 2018, 09:31 PM   #8
RickB

The XSE evolved considerably from 2000 until being discontinued a year or two ago.
An early XSE with duckbill grip safety, staked-on front sight, teardrop thumb safety, etc. is going to be worth less than a later gun with real beavertail, Novak sights, ambi safety, etc.
I wouldn't expect more than $300-$400 for an early one, and maybe another hundred for a late one.
Old January 14, 2018, 12:49 PM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...trading it into my LGS..." You won't get the best price doing that. It's not "low balling" though. Dealers base used gun values on their wholesale price and how fast they think they can sell whatever it is. XSE's don't appear to be made any more.
Gunbroker has a handful of used XSE's all running around a grand.
Old January 14, 2018, 01:05 PM   #10
Jim Watson

What do you want to trade it for? A
private deal, my $100 dog for your two $50 cats would be a better deal, if you could find the match.
Old January 14, 2018, 02:05 PM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Trade value for Colt 1911 Government XSE
Not enough to even think about trading or selling it!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old January 14, 2018, 08:52 PM   #12
agtman

Quote:
Gunbroker has a handful of used XSE's all running around a grand.
Which is misleading, because that's merely the asking price. GB is notorious for crack-smoking advertised prices. That's not what the gun will finally sell for. That price is always lower, or if it doesn't sell at all, the gun is often re-listed at a lower price (not infrequently several times) until it actually sells.

So, someone on GB might advertise a NIB Colt XSE for $1K, but it ends up selling for $500 or $600. Or, if it doesn't sell at first, it might get re-listed 2-weeks later for $800, then actually sell for $600.
Old January 15, 2018, 03:02 PM   #13
Tad_T

I bought a brand new Colt XSE Combat Elite in August 2017 for $815 out the door.

I agree with Cheapshooter, but then I subscribe to his Rule #1 anyway.
Old January 16, 2018, 05:54 PM   #14
rock185

M1ke, I don't know New York, but I wish you well sir. I have dealt with a lot of shops over a lot of years, and believe me, none were looking for a modest 10-15% profit on trades. Within my humble experience shops, are going to offer 30-50% of what they think they can sell your used gun for. I would look at completed sales on GunBroker or similar sites to determine what your gun might actually bring on the used market. Then figure 30-50% of that might be offered by your LGS.

BTW, I dealt with a well-stocked high volume gun shop for several years, and got to know the owner pretty well. He told me he didn't make his money on new guns. He said he made his money on used guns. Food for thought......
Old January 17, 2018, 01:12 AM   #15
Mosin44az

Wow you all know some generous gun stores. Around Phoenix they offer 50 percent of what they think they can sell it for, 60 pct. tops! If anyone knows a Phoenix area LGS offering more, I’d love to know about it.

GunsAmerica or other private sale would yield more for sure.