The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 5, 2018, 06:10 PM   #26
nanney1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassJAM1 View Post
nanney1 do you know which of your eyes is dominant? I grew up shooting left handed, and found I always needed to close my right eye to be focus on my sights. When I bought my first bow in my teens, I learned about eye dominance and that I was right eye dominant. I slowly forced myself to learn to shoot right handed, and now it's completely natural for me, and I find it's actually easier to shoot with both eyes open than to shut one eye.
I've always acted as if I was right eye dominant. I'm right handed, but always batted left handed. A coach did a test with a paper cup with a hole in the bottom. The result, he said, showed that I was left eye dominant. He was trying to switch me to a right hand batter.

I always shot bb guns with my left eye closed, aiming with only my right eye.

Now that I'm older and need contacts, my left eye requires a stronger prescription than my right. So, without contacts in, my right eye is stronger.

On my most recent trip to the range to shoot my new Shield, I tried both eyes open. I did shoot a little better, but this may have been from becoming more familiar with the gun. Range officer also helped to correct my hand placement which brought an immediate improvement.