The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 15, 2018, 10:58 AM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Maxim 9 reports

There seem to be a fair number available online, so I was wondering if anyone has their hands on one and has put a decent round count through it or carried it regularly.

Anything you would want to change?

Has anyone heard of any agencies adopting, allowing, or even seriously considering the product?

I'm not really looking for feedback on the suppressor function so I did not post in NFA.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 15, 2018 at 09:50 PM.
Old January 15, 2018, 11:04 PM   #2
tahunua001

looks god awful, and has a price tag of $1500... no thanks.
Old January 16, 2018, 10:15 AM   #3
FAS1

They are just getting into the hands of people that purchased them last year as their tax stamps are starting to arrive. I am curious too to see how people like them and how well they function in the real world.

I have only held one a couple times, but I do know someone that carries one daily. He also sells them and works at a gun store. He carries OWB with a loose T shirt and you wouldn't know it's there. He seems to like it.

My thoughts are that it will also make a very good home defense gun as there are so many people now choosing a suppressed weapon for that role.
Old January 16, 2018, 12:15 PM   #4
johnwilliamson062

I generally agree with Tahunua, except in the context of it being the first mass produced(possibly) integrally suppressed easily holstered 9mm and the design constraints of accomplishing that feat I think the size and looks are as fare as can be expected. My understanding is weight and balance are not bad.

$1500 MSRP is pretty close to the price of a pistol and suppressor separately. I will be surprised if retail does not end up somewhere around $1300, which is quite close to the combined cost of pistol and suppressor.

I'm involved in the design of a competing product. It is not likely to look better, be of smaller volume, or cost less. I have no problem saying they have done a great job in aesthetic design and balancing design within constraints for a product that is a huge evolution in the market.

Yes, I think integrally suppressed pistols will be the norm for anyone not requiring a tax stamp in ten years. Military, police, and if some form of hearing protection act passes...
Old January 16, 2018, 01:55 PM   #5
TunnelRat

If the NFA didn't exist I'd be interested. But it does. In that case I don't really see the appeal of the Maxim 9. As you probably know, if you go across a border with an NFA item you have to inform the ATF. To me the Maxim 9 takes all that potential headache of a suppressor and permanently attaches it to my pistol. It means I now have a pistol that is significantly more work to travel with because unlike a pistol with a standard suppressor I cannot separate the two if I so desire. That to me limits it's usefulness a bit.
Maintain situational awareness
Old January 16, 2018, 02:02 PM   #6
johnwilliamson062

FAS1,
Do you know if he has fired without ear protection?
They list ~140DB and claim hearing safe.

I am not too surprised he seems to be able to conceal easily. Most have trouble with the grip when it comes to concealment and the grip is standard. Good to hear that though.

Last edited by johnwilliamson062; January 16, 2018 at 04:28 PM.
Old January 16, 2018, 02:14 PM   #7
FAS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwilliamson062 View Post
FAS1,
Do you know if he has fired without ear protection?
They list ~140DB and claim hearing safe.
Are you on Instagram? He's probably the guy behind the camera. His name is Jorge and he loves to talk silencers. You can ask him anything directly and I'm sure he will give you an honest answer.

http://www.instagram.com/p/Bd9S4pfle...silencers_1909
Old January 17, 2018, 03:29 PM   #8
Fishbed77

Quote:
Has anyone heard of any agencies adopting, allowing, or even seriously considering the product?
Honestly, why would they? I can't think of anyone who would choose to be issued with such a bulky sidearm rather than the more modular option of a smaller pistol with separate suppressor.

Granted, I've read of some Russian units are being re-issued the integrally-supressed Makarov PB pistol, but it sounds like more an issue of what's currently on hand and cheap versus the best possible option (and the PB can be broken down and fired without the front portion of the supressor).

Last edited by Fishbed77; January 17, 2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old January 17, 2018, 11:02 PM   #9
jr24

My local range has a couple for rent I was considering trying.

Handling it surprised me with how light it was considering the bulk, but I suspect a threaded barrel and supressor for my Glocks or Sigs is probably a better investment.
Old January 17, 2018, 11:06 PM   #10
johnwilliamson062

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/risk-...e-albino-mba-1
http://www.cvmic.com/hearing-loss-in...-is-it-real-2/
https://www.research.va.gov/topics/hearing.cfm
Quote:
Tinnitus is the number-one disability among Veterans
It has been hinted to me that there is possibly some link between tinnitus and some of the bad PTSD cases. With 20% of veteran tinnitus sufferers not sleeping correctly because of tinnitus it certainly can't help.
https://apbweb.com/gunfire-and-hearing-loss/

Because they want to eliminate their number one disability. From the studies I have read it is number one at VA by a significant margin and increasingly an issue with police. The numbers there are hard to find as there are a lot more small units with no organized database.
There are at least a couple officers on this board with issues from firing in line of duty.
I know several veterans with bad hearing loss and almost all have some. SOme from training with M4s indoors before they even deployed anywhere.

The liability for bystanders' injuries is a huge issue and probably more so in the future.

I'm not on the instagram or the facebook. I get into enough trouble already. I will see if I can have someone else run that down though.
Old January 17, 2018, 11:13 PM   #11
johnwilliamson062

tinnitus terrifies me. I started with well above average hearing and now have some hearing loss following a number of events, but my hearing is still above average. The idea that I could be permanently stuck with constant ringing or humming from a short exposure outside my control is terrifying. It would drive me absolutely insane.
Old January 17, 2018, 11:37 PM   #12
TunnelRat

You don't need a Maxim 9 to have a suppressed pistol.
Old January 17, 2018, 11:45 PM   #13
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
You don't need a Maxim 9 to have a suppressed pistol.
Can you holster it suppressed?

So when you need to shoot it you have to pull pistol, pull suppressor, attach suppressor...
I am sure Miculek has a video somewhere in which all that is done along with a half dozen clays broken before the rest of us get done blinking, but for most of us it isn't practical.
There have been custom integrally suppressed pistols in the past, but I don't think there have been any factory or even readily holsterable ones that ar close to as quiet.

My understanding is you don't need to notify for interstate travel with a suppressor like you do with DD, MG, or SBR.
Law enforcement and DOD have less issues with travel also.
Old January 17, 2018, 11:45 PM   #14
TunnelRat

I can't see how that would be true, especially as it's still an NFA item.

Are you really going to carry a Maxim 9 concealed? I can see being concerned about tinnitus, but I don't think you're going to get it from the few shots you'd fire in a SD scenario. If you would I'd have it myself.
Old January 17, 2018, 11:51 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

http://www.silencertalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43714
You can read that and form a conclusion. I won't word my statement any more strongly for fear of someone showing up and saying I haven't passed the Bar exam, so don't know anything about law and deleting or editing my posts.
Old January 18, 2018, 12:07 AM   #16
TunnelRat

Fair enough, I stand corrected. I'd personally still rather them be separated. Again if you're talking concealed carry to me it's still a fair amount of bulk and I'm less concerned about tinnitus from one encounter. Veterans that have been exposed to repeated periods of often extended rifle fire and fully automatic at that are to me different than a typical defensive encounter. That said I don't want to lose hearing either. While a series of baffles also shouldn't affect reliability, I don't know much about the base pistol. I'm assuming it's reliable, but I haven't read much on it and it hasn't by itself been out long. Reliability to me is fairly paramount for a defensive firearm.

Last edited by TunnelRat; January 18, 2018 at 12:24 AM.
Old January 18, 2018, 05:23 PM   #17
Fishbed77

Quote:

So when you need to shoot it you have to pull pistol, pull suppressor, attach suppressor...
There are holster options for suppressed pistols (with suppressor attached).
Old January 21, 2018, 12:00 PM   #18
jr24

Quote:
The Maxim is rather huge and blocky, I would think a lower profile suppressor would actually be easier to holster.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:18 PM   #19
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat
As you probably know, if you go across a border with an NFA item you have to inform the ATF. To me the Maxim 9 takes all that potential headache of a suppressor and permanently attaches it to my pistol. It means I now have a pistol that is significantly more work to travel with because unlike a pistol with a standard suppressor I cannot separate the two if I so desire. That to me limits it's usefulness a bit.
Federally, it's just as easy to travel with the Maxim 9 as it is with any regular pistol. You don't have to get permission to cross state lines with a silencer or AOW. For non-permanent interstate transport, an approved Form 5320.20 is only required for machine guns, SBSs, SBRs, and destructive devices.

I've shot a Maxim 9. It's actually pretty cool to have a suppressed gun that handles like a regular full-size gun (albeit a rather bulky and forward-heavy one). It has a decent trigger for a striker gun and the grip feels good.
Old January 21, 2018, 01:24 PM   #20
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jr40
The Maxim is rather huge and blocky, I would think a lower profile suppressor would actually be easier to holster.
It's pretty hard to find a 9mm silencer that doesn't have a larger profile than the host pistol's slide (the only ones I can think of are super-small cans with wipes that are designed to shoot wet, like the AWC Abraxas or DeGroat Nano).

So a holster for a gun with a lower-profile silencer like a Osprey 9 would have an odd fit on the gun considering the silencer is wider and taller than the pistol's slide.
Old January 21, 2018, 05:05 PM   #21
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
I would think a lower profile suppressor would actually be easier to holster.
Theo has more knowledge on this subject than I, but I have looked for a suppressed pistol that is practically holster-able in the past and/or someone who carries a pistol holstered as such. I haven't found any examples yet.
https://www.google.com/search?q=supp...ih=588#imgrc=_
I don't see anything in that search that looks workable for ME.