The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old November 26, 2015, 10:08 PM   #26
Buzzard Bait

why must I have a permit?

Why do I have to have a permit to carry? Does not the 2nd amendment grant me that right? I read the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed. Seems to me requiring me to get a permit is an infringement. Part of the permit process is a background check, again am I having to prove I am innocent, I thought it was up to the government to prove I'm guilty and then if I'm guilty of something then take appropriate action. I really feel that by playing along with the permit system we have allowed our rights to be chiseled away a little bit we have to pay for a class, pay for a permit, pay for a background check I'm sorry what other right in the bill of rights to I have to pay to exercise the right or acquire a permit to exercise the right. If this logic was carried forward I would need a permit to exercise my freedom of speech. Or maybe get a permit to go to the church of my choice. Am I the only one that thinks this?
bb
Old November 27, 2015, 03:25 AM   #27
stagpanther

@buzzard--I think I pretty much outlined the changes at the beginning of the thread. Because Maine is mostly a low population density rural state I don't think there will be problems with the new permitless changes--we'll see. IMO in general firearms use is quite prevalent throughout Maine and violent crime rates are very low--but again I think this is mostly because it does not have much in the way of urban density. It will be interesting to see how this plays out in Acadia NP--it is comparatively a tiny park but during the summer tourist season experiences one of the highest--if not the highest-- national and international visitor population densities of any NP in the country. I live in the Acadia NP area--and what really drives me crazy is the deer hunting prohibition--especially since browse damage and weekly deer-vehicle collisions rates are very high--not to mention very high Lyme's disease rates among both humans and pets. The public here in general is not simply ignorant of deer management issues--it denies the facts behind deer management science.

Last edited by stagpanther; November 27, 2015 at 03:38 AM.
Old November 27, 2015, 06:34 AM   #28
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by stagpanther
I live in the Acadia NP area--and what really drives me crazy is the deer hunting prohibition--especially since browse damage and weekly deer-vehicle collisions rates are very high--not to mention very high Lyme's disease rates among both humans and pets. The public here in general is not simply ignorant of deer management issues--it denies the facts behind deer management science.
I live in a town with a hunting prohibition, and a similarly high incidence of car-deer collisions. What they're really saying is that hunting of deer is allowed, but the only weapons you can use are motor vehicles.
Old November 27, 2015, 07:17 AM   #29
stagpanther

Quote:
I live in the Acadia NP area--and what really drives me crazy is the deer hunting prohibition--especially since browse damage and weekly deer-vehicle collisions rates are very high--not to mention very high Lyme's disease rates among both humans and pets. The public here in general is not simply ignorant of deer management issues--it denies the facts behind deer management science.

I live in a town with a hunting prohibition, and a similarly high incidence of car-deer collisions. What they're really saying is that hunting of deer is allowed, but the only weapons you can use are motor vehicles.
Nah--what they are really saying--in fact I have heard said at a town council meeting--is "do what the hunters have always done--poach em." This is an OK strategy if 1) you're rich enough to afford a very good lawyer and 2) You live in a town where everyone knows you and loves you--because once that call goes in--it's over with.
Old November 27, 2015, 06:52 PM   #30
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Nah--what they are really saying--in fact I have heard said at a town council meeting--is "do what the hunters have always done--poach em." This is an OK strategy if 1) you're rich enough to afford a very good lawyer and 2) You live in a town where everyone knows you and loves you--because once that call goes in--it's over with.
So the preferred modus operandi should be to shoot the deer, drag it to the road, run over it with your car/truck/jeep, and call it in as an accidental collision and you shot it to put it out of its misery.

Brilliant!
Old November 27, 2015, 07:31 PM   #31
stagpanther

My apologies for getting off-topic and airing out a pet whine of mine. After weighing all the pros and cons I've decided to continue staying with the CC permit program--at least until some time goes by and seeing if anything changes.
Old November 28, 2015, 09:44 PM   #32
Bullrock

Quote:
Does this mean a state government has come to their senses
Not necessarily. There already is a movement to repeal, with all the garbage that's going on around the world. Personally, I plan to renew my permit in a couple of years, if I live long enough...
Old November 29, 2015, 07:45 AM   #33
gyvel

Quote:
I assume you mean for firearms purchase? I haven't heard of that--
Yes. In Arizona, if you have a CCW, you don't have to go through a NICS check. Although AZ is a Constitutional carry state with no need for a carry permit, I keep mine for firearms purchases and/or reciprocity in other states.
SIFE
Old November 29, 2015, 08:08 AM   #34
stagpanther

Quote:
Yes. In Arizona, if you have a CCW, you don't have to go through a NICS check. Although AZ is a Constitutional carry state with no need for a carry permit, I keep mine for firearms purchases and/or reciprocity in other states.
Mostly the same questions--makes sense--except that when an FFL check happens presumably "the latest data" is supplied by running through the FBI system, so theoretically it would be possible to have recent crimes not checked by a simple glance at a card? (ignoring the argument against any checks at all mind you).