The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 28, 2001, 08:33 PM   #1
LASur5r

fIXED bLADE;FOLDER;OR OTHER?

As a back up weapon to your CCW, if you could carry open carry would you choose a fixed blade, a folding knife, or an other weapon?

For me it's a toss up between a tomahawk or a kukhri.
Old December 28, 2001, 11:33 PM   #2
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

"Choose" and "can" are...

...two different things.

A tomohawk or kukri, while undoubtedly effective, would be a little tough to CCW.

While my Corkum "Shobu" and USN surplus Mk3 Mod0 knife are both serious knives, they're a little unwieldy for day-to-day toting. Real life finds me carrying a Cold Steel Recon 1, Emerson Commander, Benchmade Stryker or Microtech Lightfoot L.C.C. DA a lot more often than any fixed-blade knife.

Nine times out of ten, any threat serious enough to warrant being met with five inches of steel is serious enough to warrant eight to ten chunks of lead, anyway.
Old December 28, 2001, 11:51 PM   #3
madgrad

Knives

Depends on your personal taste with knives, how your trained with a knife,where it's going to be carried, and the quality your looking for.

My main suggestion is get some sort of training with edged weapons before using one as a back up.

My suggestion is Escrima, Kali, Arnis, or Mr. Hockhiems course.

My suggestions for a folder is to get someting that can be opened with both hands no matter which hand your using. (Spyderco or Bench Made)

Fixed blade it's your choice. My choices are as follows:

Surplus bayonet, Ice Pick, Craftsmen heavy duty screwdriver, benchmade, good paring knife, Bowie, K-Bar, and good metal machined pen.

And if your LE. I'd go for a Bench Made Switch Blade or a good German one. I tend to avoid the 5$ Tijuana specials.

I personally try to keep everything as utilitarin as possible.

Hope this gives you some help.
Old December 29, 2001, 12:59 AM   #4
Shamaya

Well, for backup I...

carry a stainless S&W model 640 (.357, purchased well before they did the "is" with Clinton).

I prefer a folder as it's easier to carry with a variety of clothing. Having at least two pistols on me almost every time I'm out (sometimes my American Arms .22 revolver derringer, as a third, because it's cool, and because I feel like it), I figure I'm in double deep doo-doo if I'm turning to my knife.

And... I carry it -- as a backup backup -- everywhere but the steamroom at the gym.

Mine's a Microtech automatic (switchblade motion, as opposed to their way cool but extra dangerous stilettos, prone to gouging ugly holes in legs if you carry them in your back pocket, as I do). Living in AZ, we are among the few states where you can carry a switchblade, and I was in the mood to splurge on myself. Had it for about three years.

When I go out to the woods, I carry a shoulder-rigged fixed blade with a very comfortable strap. We recently had a mountain lion attack on the trails where I hike and climb. I figure if a cat attacks me and I win, I get his tail.

--AS
Old December 29, 2001, 01:52 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Heh...

That's a good point.

Should I suffer a critical malfunction or loss of my primary CCW, I'll make use of the Jetfire/Tomcat/296Ti that I'm toting for backup before resorting to a blade. I prefer to be able to fend off my attackers by "remote control"; far less chance of getting hurt myself that way.

My utility knives see far more use than any "fighting" ones I own, and I sincerely hope it stays that way.

Angel,

Que? My OTF Microtech Exodus has a safety on it to prevent just that from happening.
Old December 29, 2001, 02:30 PM   #6
krept

Because I'm on a budget, a Spyderco Endura. I really, REALLY would like to have one of those Benchmade or Microtech autos... Can get 'em if I had the $...

For now the Spyderco is fine. If I had more training in Kali or stickfighting (ala Dog Brothers) I'd probably carry one of those collapsing batons.

I'm interested in the autos... just like with certain semi-auto pistols, many of these things have safeties (even with my el cheapo Nogales special, the Arizona version of the TJ special). Anyone worry about wearing out the springs or forgetting the safties are on? I've practiced enough with my Endura to be OK-quick at deploying the blade, but I'm thinkin that the assisted opening folders or the MOA for an auto might be almost as slow into action as the folder due to the movements.
Old December 29, 2001, 03:50 PM   #7
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

On my Microtech Exodus, you can rock the safety back and depress the release button with one smooth movement of the thumb. My OTF Paragon ATKO works the same way. My side-opening Benchmade Mini-Stryker has a more awkwardly positioned safety, but the release button is recessed enough to make the safety pretty redundant.
Old December 29, 2001, 09:41 PM   #8
Christopher II

I really, really, REALLY prefer a fixed blade. But I usually carry a folder. Main reason being that my only fixed blade at present is a big ole' 7" blade combat knife with an equally big ole' Kydex drop sheath. If I had something like a Mad Dog Lab Rat, small Strider, Fallkniven S1, etc, my folders would see a lot more nightstand duty.

- Chris

"Contrary to popular belief, your vote does not matter, and you cannot make a difference." - Bob Murphy, "Picking Neither of Two Evils"

My PGP Public Key
Old December 29, 2001, 10:38 PM   #9
Ewok_Guy

I usually carry this on the back of my belt.
Nice little 3" stainless steel blades, and full tang too!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg double shanks.jpg (7.5 KB, 141 views)

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old January 3, 2002, 10:53 PM   #10
David Park

Quick question, mainly for Ewok_Guy: Does small-of-back carry of fixed blades pose any safety risk? Many people won't carry handguns in SOB holsters, but I'm guessing a thin blade wouldn't be too bad.

FYI, I normally carry an Emerson Commander and Benchmade 942 Osborne. Occasionally I also carry a REKAT Sifu, Camillus EDC, and/or Fred Perrin La Griffe. Several fixed blades are on my want list, but I'll have to check on the legality of concealed carry in VA. (I doubt I would be hassled about the La Griffe.) Just like handguns, open carry of most anything is OK here. I'm pretty sure autos are illegal though.
Old January 4, 2002, 11:34 AM   #11
Bogie

Thus far I've found the fastest deploying non-switch knife is my CRKT Crawford-Kasper... It is definitely faster than my Spyder Endura, and appears to be of significantly stronger construction also. I've got the small one. Can't carry CCW in my state.

Use the darn thing for everything from opening boxes to removing staples... Comes in VERY handy.

And making the world's greatest bottle openers!
Old January 7, 2002, 02:15 AM   #12
cecilbdml

Although this hasn't been mentioned much, I've always been a fan of the tanto-type blade and have Cold Steel fixed as well as the Benchmade with Emerson-designed half-ragged blade.

For quick and silent, as well as powerful, I have yet to find this type's equal. I always have the folder on me (no one ever got killed by a knife in the middle of a gunfight, right?), especially when I can't have my projectile-oriented hardware with me. Since I started carrying it, I have had maybe two instances where I used it.

Believe you me, I was DEFINITELY not outclassed OR outgunned.
Old January 8, 2002, 09:36 AM   #13
David Scott

Right now my backp edged weapon is a CKRT M16 folder, but if it were "anything goes" I think I'd belt on a machete. It gives you some reach, and it's useful for other things.
"As I looked at my two young sons, each with his gun, and considered how much the safety of the party depended on these little fellows, I felt grateful to you, dear husband, for having acquainted them in childhood with the use of firearms."

-- Elisabeth Robinson, in The Swiss Family Robinson by Johann Wyss
Old January 9, 2002, 12:49 AM   #14
FO6

Current edged backup is usually an Emerson Mini Commander, sometimes a fixed blade...

David, I frequently carry an older Cold Steel tanto in a Blade-Tech Kydex rig SOB and it works fine except for longer drives.

Bogie, if you haven't had the pleasure of trying one of Emerson's blades with the Wave, it's worth checking out. The Waved Commander and CQC are the fastest out of pocket deploying folders I have come across - faster than any switch out of the pocket, no safety, no button, no auto legality hassles.
Old January 9, 2002, 01:37 PM   #15
jimsbowies

I may be new

To this forum but not new to knives.....ipso facto the "handle" of JimsBowies. While my comments may seem simple, perhaps overly so, they come from years of experience. For a "carry" knife, as with a "carry" gun, carry something that you're comfortable with and that you will actually CARRY! It may be fine and dandy to have five inches of "cold steel", it ain't gonna do you much good lying in the dash of your car!

Also, do you know how to sharpen the knife? My goodness, I've encountered many folks who chose to tote a blade who are carrying expensive custom or semi-custom knives that wouldn't cut hot butter.

I could rant on but I'll let this be my first posting.
Old January 9, 2002, 08:19 PM   #16
OF

Welcome to TFL jimsbowies!

On the knife subject, my daily carry is a micarta-handled serrated Spydie Calypso Jr. It is an AWESOME utility everyday cutting tool. I really dig it (I have 2). Out on the town, I'll switch it out for a Benchmade 710S (or occasionally a large CRKT Kasper) and carry it in my off-side front pocket.

I try to keep the Spydie as sharp as I can. The purely defensive knives I keep hair-popping sharp with the Spyderco Sharpmaker (which is also awesome).

I'm short on cool fixed-blades, and the legality in WA state is pretty iffy on them concealed, even with a CCW (aka. CPL here).

- Gabe