The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old December 14, 2001, 09:24 PM   #26
striderteen

"Striderteen, hitting moving headsized objects at 15 yards are not as easy as it may seem. If you've never been there, you never know what you will acually do.

Army and tactical training manuals are meant as supplemental sources of information, don't think that you'll learn everything from out of a book."

True. But they're a good place to start. Also, I don't think most stairways are 45 feet long. A quick aimed kill technique (line up iron sights, but don't worry about establishing sight picture) is good for up to about 12 meters.
Old December 16, 2001, 09:25 PM   #27
Mannlicher

looks like most have not been there yet. The adrenilin rush is incredable, and it really messes with your ability to think straight. I did not shoot the guy trying to get into my place, but I think if I had encountered him already inside, I would have just shot him. I cannnot picture any reason to ask questions, and give away the only element of surprise you have. The open cylinder choke with #4 is hard to miss with.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 17, 2001, 01:07 PM   #28
Zundfolge

Since under stress most people (especialy without lots of training) will tend to hit a little high anyway, if you aim at center mass and you may get that headshot .

Seriously though, the reason to aim for center mass is because it's a bigger target. A single shot 6 inches to the right of the guy's navel will stop him much quicker then a shot 6 inches to the right of his nose (which, unless he has a real fat head is about 1-2 inches away from his head).

Also I don't plan on sending him only 1 shot, so if I aim for the head my followup shots are more likely to be high (especialy under stress) so a double tap will tend to be one in the chest, one in the face (at least based on my targets at the range).

BTW, striderteen ... good so see one of my INF buddies out here in TFL land
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old December 19, 2001, 02:30 PM   #29
Kirk Keller

To this scenario

... I would respond with the "BooDaDow" approach.

"FREEZE, GET DOWN ON THE FLOOR" Strategic pause, perp advances telling me it's allright, just wanna use the phone.. "BooDaDow BooDaDow" to center mass. Evaluate.