The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 17, 2019, 01:47 PM   #1
tdoyka

1922 oviedo mauser

recently got a 1893 spanish mauser(1922) in 7x57. the stock is an unfinished(80-85% complete), barrel is cut to 21" and the bore is a mess. unmatching serial #, there is no rear or front sight. about all i can say good is the trigger works. my gunsmith will determine if it is safe or not. if not, oh well, i spent $80. it will be pieced out .

if yes, then the gunsmith will d&t it for a scope, bend the bolt, do a two position safety, replace the trigger to something like timney or such and rebarrel the action. the stock, i don't know about it. maybe it will stay, maybe it not.

since i done a 7x57(98 mauser/20" douglas) years ago(i gave to my son),i think it will be a 257 roberts. i'll use it for whitetails(about 150lbs or so) only. i won't be taking my shots long range, 300 yards and under. most likely it will be 50 yards and under in brush that i hunt. i have a 9.3x57, 444 marlin, 45-70 and a 500 linebaugh rifles. i've used a 223 thru 500 linebaugh calibers and i found that a 7 mauser is the best of them. but........i wanna 257 bob!!!!

this will be next years rifle. i have too many irons in fire to do a bob right now. but i'm open to suggestions? should i do a bob or not?

Old June 18, 2019, 01:21 AM   #2
Scorch

I am a big fan of old Mauser actions, even the Spanish ones, but to be honest you will spend more on that action getting it drilled/tapped, handle bent, rebarreled, reblued than you could buy a good rifle for. Otherwise, you can buy a commercial 98 action for less that the cost of doing all the work and be money ahead (it will already be drilled/tapped, bolt handle bent, drop floor plate magazine, and strong as a bank vault). Or you can go ahead and build that 93 action and have a beautiful custom rifle. If you're OK with that, then do it!
Old June 18, 2019, 08:07 AM   #3
Jim Watson

Agree with Scorch, that will be the most expensive Spanish Mauser in town.
It would be a delightful DIY if you already had the equipment, but the gunsmith bill will be more than the final product is worth.
Old June 18, 2019, 11:00 AM   #4
taylorce1

I did a M93 into a .300 Savage, really wasn't worth the money. However, it was a fun project and I'm glad I did it. If I were to build anything on a non M98 small ring action again it would be an inline ML with .45 ACP primed brass for an ignition system.

Old June 18, 2019, 12:22 PM   #5
tdoyka

it was about 25+ years ago, i helped(gunsmith was a good friend of mine, RIP) build a '98 mauser action. he taught me the basics and he was there all the way thru. we d&t, put a timney trigger, bend the bolt handle, then we threaded, chambered to 7x57, headspaced and crowned the barrel. somewhere along the line the action was squared and lapped. i did do a plastic stock, fajen wood-like stock. i shot many a deer with it. its now my son's. the picture of the 7 mauser is old, but here it is....
https://i.imgur.com/Ee3UHwD.jpg

now i'm older(not wiser) and i don't care for the crop(except single shots) that the rifle manufacturers put out. i'm a guy that likes "they don't make them like that anymore." and honestly...they don't. its too much computerizing and not enuff skill.

i had a stroke 6 years ago(can't use my right arm/leg) so i am no longer to build a rifle. i don't mind how much it is or if i get my money out of it. i'll use it till i'm dead and i'll give it to my sons' and they will use it or sell it.

i have a 1944 sporterized 98 mauser in 8x57. lyman peep sight and i don't know what kind of front sight. the barrel's rifling is smooth 4" from the muzzle. its stock is sporterized original and the trigger is original too. i want to shoot .375 or .400 caliber and cast boolits that will go 1800fps and under. but thats for another day....i mean year.
Old June 18, 2019, 08:16 PM   #6
Mobuck

First off, if your "barrel is a mess", you may as well start over.
Re-barrelling will push the cost to the level of a used Savage 110.
Old June 18, 2019, 10:02 PM   #7
tdoyka

the barrel is smooth 2" from the chamber and 5" from the muzzle. it is pitted thruout.

a savage? thank you, but NO!!!!!!
Old June 18, 2019, 10:07 PM   #8
ammo.crafter

Did a 98k conversion to 6mm Remington 50 years ago. Heavy barrel (Federal), plus all the other work noted by others.

Cost does outweigh the rifle's value but I'm happy with the outcome and is a great shooter at 300 yds.
Old June 19, 2019, 11:02 AM   #9
taylorce1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdoyka
if yes, then the gunsmith will d&t it for a scope, bend the bolt, do a two position safety, replace the trigger to something like timney or such and rebarrel the action. the stock, i don't know about it. maybe it will stay, maybe it not.
If you decide to do all that work I'd send it off to ER Shaw, they're one of the most affordable for that kind of work. Plus they are one of the few that'll still work on the M93 action.
Old June 19, 2019, 12:47 PM   #10
rpseraph

My dad's side of the family is from Oviedo! One of these rifles is on my list, I'd love to be able to fire it occasionally, but the point of it would be the history and nostalgia.

Now, to track one down! There are lots of collector beautiful ones out there for $350+ but that's not what I'm looking for. Where do you guys find them?
Don't just train your trigger finger... train how to use your medkit, train your mind with books, train your soul in church, train to be a better spouse, train to be a better parent. Be well-rounded, the world needs you to be.
Old June 19, 2019, 02:59 PM   #11
tdoyka

i bought this one here

https://www.auctionzip.com/
Old June 20, 2019, 06:25 AM   #12
Mobuck

"a savage? thank you, but NO!!!!!!"

OK, but I can tell you that anything you spend on that old Mauser will have no value beyond your personal satisfaction. Trust me on this as I have at least 1/2 dozen "dead end projects" based on pre-98 Mausers.
Old June 20, 2019, 12:20 PM   #13
tdoyka

Quote:
i don't mind how much it is or if i get my money out of it. i'll use it till i'm dead and i'll give it to my sons' and they will use it or sell it. -tdoyka

i think i'm already passed this point!!!!
Old June 22, 2019, 03:57 PM   #14
Paul B.

Well, to answer the OP's question, I see no problem going with the .257 Roberts. After all, it's parent case is the 7x57. What I saw of the stock looks decent but might need cleaning up a bit. Cost of conversion work? If that's what the OP wants, go for it. I have a few "custom" rifles that my inheritors will never get what I have in them but I won't be around to worry about it. They made ME happy.

There is a lot of doubt on the strength of those M93 rifles but I wonder. I once had a 1916 Oviedo M93 in 7x57 that some very good gunsmith had made to look like Rigby. Very accurate but I never did any load work up with is and in a fit of pique sold it off after losing a deer I shot with the rifle. The fault lay in the ammo I used, not the cartridge. It's one of the few rifles I regret selling. I only mention that as back then I was not keen on hot loading for that rifle. I have on line friends who load up ammo for their M93s to the max. One guy made up a wildcat on the 7x57 case by extending the shoulder out until it had a short neck like those on the .300 Win. Mag. The loads he use are downright scary. The big problem is with escaping gas. The M93 doesn't do all that well with that problem. He has had a hole drilled into the side of the receiver and two larger holes in the bottom of the bolt in the manner found on the more modern M98 Mausers. Jus a thought if you feel the need to push the envelope slightly.
Paul B.
Old June 22, 2019, 08:45 PM   #15
tdoyka

i am thinking of a 115-120gr bullet going about 2700fps.
Old June 23, 2019, 04:40 PM   #16
Paul B.

"i am thinking of a 115-120gr bullet going about 2700fps."

That ought to work.
Paul B.