The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 23, 2019, 06:08 AM   #26
Mackie244Bud

^^^^^ Great Post TunnelRat!

I believe in a lot of what you said.

As far as P365's finally being available on LGS shelves..
I think that a lot of that can be where you live.
My local Bass Pro cannot keep the P365 on their shelves.
Every time I go there I ask if they have any P365's and they always say NO.
I am still waiting for the day that I walk in and they say "YES" though that will probably be because they just got their recent shipment and not because they are just sitting there dormant.
They say that as soon as they come in they go back out.
The same is still true for many LGS.
You know that they have to love to have a gun that sells like that especially as you say in this "Soft Market"
But I do know that thankfully it is much easier to obtain a P365 today than in the past.
However I live in South Florida with a large gun buying population.
Florida leads the Nation in Concealed Carry Licenses at over 2 million.
It should take awhile before they are saturated with P365's

You also have to remember that It has taken almost 400,000 sales in 18 months to finally have a P365 available on a consistent basis...
Sig reps have said that the P365 Manual Safety (MS) is slower to market because Sig is still trying to fulfill P365 orders.
Now Sig has the P365 MS and the P365XL waiting in the wings for release.

In the future there will be the new Shield / P365 "Hottest" gun to hit the market.
The same way S&W had their amazing ride with the Shield (and probably still enjoy good sales of it) so is Sig riding theirs now with the P365, P320 and Army Contracts.
It's just the way markets in general go..whether it's TV's or Cars or Guns!

Yes today seems to be all about Capacity and Features in EDC.
Hence the P365XL..
As far as the Optics cut on the new XL..
I do not know how many people will actually put a Red Dot on it today but who knows about the future.
In regard to options and pricing as Red Dot's continue to grow,
it helps give it a "Future Proof" Feature..
It's there if you ever need it.
The longer Slide which is never a bad thing as with Concealed Carry it goes downward and does not implicate printing.
The Flat Trigger and Longer Grip that includes the 12 rounds flush.
All for $79.99 considering that the P365 goes for $499.99 and the P365XL is a Pre-Order for $579.99.

If you were waiting to purchase a P365 it's now a no brainer to get the XL.

For myself that already has a P365 I can upgrade the Grip Module by simply moving the FCU to the new Grip (P365 Grips are going for $15.99)
Sig's Flat Trigger is $50.00 That's $65.99 and I have the XL Lower.
I also own five 12 round magazines.
Sig is selling the Floorplates for their X-Series magazines at $9 each so fifty dollars converts my 12 round magazines to Flush fit 12's for the XL Grip.
So it boils down to the Slide...Do I need the .6 inch length and the Optics cut?
That is the only decision to make between upgrading my P365 or buying a complete P365 XL.

I've had my P320 Compact RX for 2 years...I just Purchased the new "X-Compact Grip Module" moved my Fire Control Unit (FCU) and RX slide over to it and I now have a "P320 X-Compact RX"
It is a similar option that I have with the new XL.

For myself that means that I like Capacity, Features and "Options" with those platforms!
To me that IS a no Brainer unless the guns just Shoot and Perform Bad and they do not..
So far I have 3,000 error free rounds through my RX and 365
What's NOT to LIKE?

I understand that there are Glock Lovers such as USNRet93.
In fact a friend of mine showed off his new G19C Gen 5 to me yesterday beaming from ear to ear and I showed him my X-Compact RX which he said "Hey I like this Grip, can I put a Romeo 1 on my Glock?"
Just 2 guys talking guns and Very Happy with theirs and the others Gun.
It's a Good Thing!
So...I just don't get USNRet93's wish to just bash Sig or probably anything but his beloved Glock!
I wonder how that meeting of friends with him would have gone yesterday..Lord knows what he would have said about my Sig.
I think that's like Blinders on a horse..you never get to see and experience the whole picture.
I like to think that WE are all enthusiasts Yes I own Sig's & M&P but I have nothing against any gun..Well most Guns LOL.
I've always said that I think Hickok45 and reviewers like him has a great job..I'd love to be able to shoot so many different guns!
Not just Sig's.

I look forward to the new 365XL.
I also look forward to whatever gun knocks the P365 off of it's EDC perch and is next in line after the Shield, P365 and ?????
Because guess what WE ALL Win from that! It's a Good Thing Fer Sure!
In the end isn't that what it is all about?
Oh..It does not have to be a Sig LOL!

That's it for now.

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; May 23, 2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:55 AM   #27
USNRet93

Quote:
I wonder how that meeting of friends with him would have gone yesterday..Lord knows what he would have said about my Sig.
Actually happened with a local LEO who is a Sig fanboy(his 320)..I said, "VERY nice handgun"(didn't get to shoot it), I think I said 'sweet', "but ya know, I prefer the 'feel' and such of my Glock 17", "but really nice".....plus pretty sure he got a LEO discount...

I really care zero about what anybody but me has, carries, uses, buys, sells, gives away but still looking for that 'what I hate about Sig' thread...maybe ya missed the 'what I hate about Glocks', thread...

But sure seems a 'pro sig' and 'anti Glock' bias(small 'b') on this forum..but discussion forum, yes? Discussing...BUT, Doesn't bother me at all...many subsections of this forum are interesting, informative, and even 'head scratching'...It's mostly entertainment...

"Tools not Trophies”

Last edited by USNRet93; May 23, 2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old May 23, 2019, 07:14 AM   #28
Mackie244Bud

Quote:
But sure seems a 'pro sig' and 'anti Glock' bias(small 'b') on this forum.
Well I just counted the threads in the Semi Auto section out of 50 threads 6 discuss a Sig.
I have always thought of the Firing Line Forum as anything BUT Pro Sig!

This thread is about a Sig P365XL and you were the only person that interjected anything about a Glock.
Do you go to the Glock Threads and interject Sig Posts? LOL

Quote:
kinda like a glock 45..only more expensive
Quote:
Probably not...no quick trips back to the factory for 'upgrades' to make it work OK..Note->

Geez, this forum should be renamed...'luvmeasigforever'.
Quote:
Nope, I have fun on the glock forums as well as this 'sig' forum..
I did like your..
Quote:
I really care zero about what anybody but me has, carries, uses, buys, sells, gives away
Now that was funny!

So, your the comedy relief for this thread?
And here all this time I just thought you were being a Smarta_ _
You are so misunderstood...Sorry..

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; May 23, 2019 at 07:19 AM.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:01 AM   #29
USNRet93

Quote:
Now that was funny!

So, your the comedy relief for this thread?
And here all this time I just thought you were being a Smarta_ _
You are so misunderstood...Sorry..
Tee hee...I don't really care if you think I'm misunderstood or not..BTW--I HAVE handled the 238, 365, 320..didn't care for any of them...but lots do, good for them.
Quote:
Do you go to the Glock Threads and interject Sig Posts? LOL
Nope, plenty of others already do that...

-Glock 42, 43, 19, 17..I guess I need to put that in my signature like some do

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 23, 2019, 08:22 AM   #30
davidsog

Quote:
South Carolina PD Transitions to SIG P320 and P365 Pistols
https://www.policemag.com/363154/sou...d-p365-pistols

Now the P365XL makes total sense. In producing a duty sized variant of the P365, SIG gives Law Enforcement a package that is tough to beat in capability and logistics.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:24 AM   #31
TunnelRat

There will always be people that get personally attached to inanimate objects and then wear their hearts on their sleeves when it comes to comments about those objects. Compared to other forums I don't personally find this one notably biased.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old May 23, 2019, 08:26 AM   #32
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidsog View Post
https://www.policemag.com/363154/sou...d-p365-pistols

Now the P365XL makes total sense. In producing a duty sized variant of the P365, SIG gives Law Enforcement a package that is tough to beat in capability and logistics.
That article doesn't mention the XL though, and the picture appears to be the standard P365. Are you saying instead of adopting two pistols they'd just adopt the one? If it was just going to be in a duty holster though with a P320 you have the option of even higher capacity magazines, full size light mounting that isn't proprietary, etc. Though you do have to have trained armorers, parts, holsters, etc. for two pistols if you run both. Hmm.

Last edited by TunnelRat; May 23, 2019 at 08:36 AM.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:37 AM   #33
davidsog

Quote:
That article doesn't mention the XL though, and the picture appears to be the standard P365.
You are correct but that observation has NOTHING to do with the fact:

Quote:
In producing a duty sized variant of the P365, SIG gives Law Enforcement a package that is tough to beat in capability and logistics.
You do realize this entire thread is about speculating about a new design that has yet to be released and we have little to no information about?????

SIG has been offering the P320/P365 as a package to LE departments seeking to upgrade their pistols.

In offering a P365XL/P365 package they offer the same capability with much better logistics while freeing P320 production up for the Military Contracts.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:38 AM   #34
TunnelRat

Right, but I do think you're giving something up in overall capabilities in going with the P355XL over the P320 (I edited my above). Whether departments will care about that remains to be seen.

Old May 23, 2019, 08:50 AM   #35
davidsog

Quote:
Are you saying instead of adopting two pistols they'd just adopt the one? If it was just going to be in a duty holster though with a P320 you have the option of even higher capacity magazines, full size light mounting that isn't proprietary, etc.
Looks like the XL can run all the accessories, It already has a 15 rd magazine and I willing to bet increasing that capacity is not a major design issue.

For Example:

Quote:
The SIG P365 Tactical Application Rail converts the limiting proprietary rail on your P365 into a picatinny rail.
https://www.sixaxisdev.com/products/...ail-conversion

Accessories are just not a limiting factor.

Your last part holds true about the logistics.

Quote:
Though you do have to have trained armorers, parts, holsters, etc. for two pistols if you run both. Hmm.
Armorer training, tooling, and parts supply would be streamlined with all the commonality producing significant savings on the logistical end. They will probably be able to afford the 30 bucks for a rail conversion and still be saving money without eliminating capability.
Old May 23, 2019, 08:52 AM   #36
TunnelRat

Personally I'd still rather the two than the one, but I get your point, and I edited the above as it occurred to me to reflect that.

Old May 23, 2019, 09:55 AM   #37
sigarms228

It is good to see more options in the thin 9MM poly frame pistol. I really like my Walther PPS and CCW it often with 7 round magazine and it is a good shooter for me. I would not mind a pistol of the same dimensions with more capacity if it fits me well so I can shoot it well. I tried the P365 and it does not work for me because the trigger reach is too short and I expect the P365XL will be the same but will certainly try it out when it becomes available and I expect other companies will come out with similar. I like shooting the Glock 43X but still not up to shooting standard for me of my PPS which is the original model with large backstrap that Walther does not offer any more on the current model.

I will say that I while I certainly think these slim 9MM pistols offer a high degree of comfort/high conceal factor for CCW, for me I find that a Glock 19 sized pistol with its extra width and weight is much better for me for longer shooting sessions and recoil control/accuracy especially at speed and still is relatively comfortable and easy to conceal for CCW. I don't believe I will ever move away from my Glock 19 as my main CCW pistol because of that and concerns of how these smaller pistols will be as far as reliability and durability with high round counts through them, tens of thousands of rounds. All these choices sure are a good thing.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:59 AM   #38
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228 View Post
It is good to see more options in the thin 9MM poly frame pistol. I really like my Walther PPS and CCW it often with 7 round magazine and it is a good shooter for me. I would not mind a pistol of the same dimensions with more capacity if it fits me well so I can shoot it well. I tried the P365 and it does not work for me because the trigger reach is too short and I expect the P365XL will be the same but will certainly try it out when it becomes available and I expect other companies will come out with similar. I like shooting the Glock 43X but still not up to shooting standard for me of my PPS which is the original model with large backstrap that Walther does not offer any more on the current model.

I will say that I while I certainly think these slim 9MM pistols offer a high degree of comfort/high conceal factor for CCW, for me I find that a Glock 19 sized pistol with its extra width and weight is much better for me for longer shooting sessions and recoil control/accuracy especially at speed and still is relatively comfortable and easy to conceal for CCW. I don't believe I will ever move away from my Glock 19 as my main CCW pistol because of that and concerns of how these smaller pistols will be as far as reliability and durability with high round counts through them, tens of thousands of rounds. All these choices sure are a good thing.
Ditto this, including the PPS (Although for me, the M2 is perfectly sized).

If "shooting well" is my top priority, I want a gun that fits my hand. Glock 19 does that pretty well. Walther PPQ does it even better. I can run those better and faster than any single stack. 15 rounds in a gun I can't shoot well are far less valuable than 5 rounds in a gun I'm precise with. Clearly there are trades.

I like the way things are shaping up. Right now, today, if Walther began selling a PPS M3 that had an optic cut and the P365XL capacity, yeah, I'd upgrade. I'll have to wait and see whether this new Sig is something that knocks my socks off. I couldn't shoot the original all that well, but from what I'm reading they've beefed up the grip just a bit, and perhaps these dimensions will fit my hand better? We'll see.
Old May 23, 2019, 06:02 PM   #39
Bart Noir

OhioGuy, are you aware that Walther sells a PPS which comes with an installed small version of the Shield reflex sight? (In this case, Shield is a brand name for a UK-made optical sight; nothing to do with S&W's little pistol.)

I have that one and it is my favorite small 9mm, chosen over the P365, the Shield, the G43. Can't say about the Ruger EC9 or LC9, or the new Mossberg pistol as I have not fired them. Haven't even see a Mossberg yet.

I'm still sorting out the holster issue as the optical sight prevents a fit in many holsters. It may be Kydex cutting time.

Bart Noir
Old May 23, 2019, 08:13 PM   #40
wild cat mccane

It's not vapor ware. It's coming out.

UPC: 798681618798
Old July 3, 2019, 10:10 PM   #41
Mackie244Bud

The P365XL is finally becoming available...

Sig Pro Shop has the XL..

Sig P365XL at Sig Pro Shop.jpg

Also there were 2 listed on GunBroker..
First one at $579.99 Sold today and there is one other there now..

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/820251221

Looks like the P365XL's are finally starting to show up for sale..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=6AS2sNkF0A0

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; July 4, 2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old July 8, 2019, 01:52 PM   #42
Mackie244Bud

It's Official..
The P365 has been released by Sig..

Sig P365 XL Website:

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/p365-...ducing+P365+XL

GunBroker:

https://www.gunbroker.com/Semi-Auto-...5%20XL&Sort=13

If interested check with your Local Gun Stores as well as Bass Pro and Cabella's

Here is the Sig P365 XL with the Romeo Zero Red Dot:

https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/gu...-zero-red-dot/

Last edited by Mackie244Bud; July 8, 2019 at 09:41 PM.