The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 12, 2019, 07:38 PM   #1
cc1965

.380 Opinions?

Looking for opinions on a .380 pocket pistol. I currently have a Ruger LC9 for concealed carry but I’m looking for something smaller for every day carry. My three possibilities are Ruger LCP, Ruger LCP2 and S&W Bodyguard. Anyone have a favorite or another option that might fit my situation? I’m stuck between the LCP2 and Bodyguard. I’m also considering a Taurus Spectrum but haven’t handled one in person yet.
Old May 12, 2019, 07:43 PM   #2
lee n. field

Have an LCP, don't care for it.

The changes from the LCP to the LCP II don't address the reasons I don't care much for the LCP.

So, right now, not sure what I'd go for if I wanted to look for a smallest size pocket .380.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old May 12, 2019, 07:53 PM   #3
HighValleyRanch

The Seecamp is possibly the smallest size .380. But then it's even a handfull to shoot with hot .32. Not sure what it would be like with .380. The NAA Guardian is a little larger.
Old May 12, 2019, 07:54 PM   #4
libiglou

sigp238. Small , can shoot it all day without it killing your hand and for its size its pretty accurate
Old May 12, 2019, 07:58 PM   #5
JERRYS.

go with the LCP, it will seems the most familiar to you since you already carry the LC9.
Old May 12, 2019, 08:20 PM   #6
CDR_Glock

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1965 View Post
Looking for opinions on a .380 pocket pistol. I currently have a Ruger LC9 for concealed carry but I’m looking for something smaller for every day carry. My three possibilities are Ruger LCP, Ruger LCP2 and S&W Bodyguard. Anyone have a favorite or another option that might fit my situation? I’m stuck between the LCP2 and Bodyguard. I’m also considering a Taurus Spectrum but haven’t handled one in person yet.

I like the Sig P238 because of the size and handling but you have to carry in Condition 1, Cocked and Locked.

Hard to beat a Sig Sauer P365 in 9 mm with the capacity. It’s still a pocket carry gun.

In the end you need to be comfortable with how it handles, how you carry it, shot placement, and willingness to actually conceal it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old May 12, 2019, 08:23 PM   #7
2wheelwander

Beretta 85 might be a bit big but worth a look for you
Old May 12, 2019, 08:23 PM   #8
MoArk Willy

In my opinion the Bodyguard is better made than the LCP. I haven't tried or handled the Spectrum. However you didn't mention the Sig P238. For me it was the best .380 out there at a price that was "out there" as well. I myself carry the Bodyguard.
If I wanted to spend twice the amount it would be for the Sig.
Old May 12, 2019, 08:35 PM   #9
IDbound

Best 380

Might look at a Glock 42. I wasn't a Glock fan put can shoot it better than my P238.
Old May 12, 2019, 08:36 PM   #10
reteach

I carry a Glock 42 in my pocket just about every day. It's comfortable to shoot and accurate and fits in my pocket easily. I like it a lot.
Old May 12, 2019, 08:40 PM   #11
batmann

When you are talking LCP, of which I have, it is a deep carry pistol. It’s not a target pistol, it’s not a combat pistol, but its
the pistol you slip in a coat pocket, cargo pocket and you don’t know it’s there.Does it it’s have faults? Of course.
But it does what is designed to do, provide you with a true lightweight, concealed carry that is there when you need it. The other weapons mentioned are fine pistols, but for my purposes, I’ll keep my LCP
Old May 12, 2019, 08:48 PM   #12
gc70

RM380

Remington took the design for the $1K Rohrbaugh pistol and actually made improvements, along with delivering consistent build quality.

Maybe it is because the original Rohrbaugh was designed for 9mm, but the RM380 feels more robust than my former BG380.
Old May 12, 2019, 09:40 PM   #13
lapetrarca53

I just picked up the Smith & Wesson M&P 380 EZ. I got the version without the thumb safety.

Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet but, it feels solidly built and well made. It's also "EZ" to take down and reassemble.

I also have an LCP II. Great pocket carry piece but, pretty snappy for target shooting or plinking, which it's not designed for. You won't be putting a lot of rounds down range before it gets uncomfortable.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:03 PM   #14
kymasabe

My daughters bodyguard was ammo picky. Her Taurus TCP was a disaster, failed at first range trip and spent 16 weeks at Taurus. However, my Remington RM380 has been flawless, eats everything, is a really under rated gun.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:13 PM   #15
hubris

After changing from Sig JHP to Rem FMJ my Kahr cw 380 has been flawless. Fairly accurate out to 7 yds (as far as I practice with it) and isn't uncomfortable to shoot.Also, well under $300.
Old May 12, 2019, 10:38 PM   #16
Mosin44az

I have owned a number of pocket .380s but the only ones I have kept are my two LCPs, one a modified first generation and the other an LCP Custom.

I kept these two mainly because they were reliable and the others I owned (including various Kel-tecs, two SIG P 238s, an abysmal Kahr P380, an early Smith Bodyguard and an early Glock 42) were not.

The two problems with my first generation LCP were the complete lack of sights and the heavy trigger. Fixed both of these at some expense, but it looks to me like the second generation of the basic LCP has fixed both these issues, and I would get that over the LCP II, which by all accounts has a very light trigger requiring much care in handling and holstering.

The LCPs have fairly sharp recoil because they are so small and light. You can ameliorate this issue significantly by getting one of the Hogue wraparound grips that attach using a longer pin replacing the rear frame pin of the pistol. Helps a lot, and really, you should be able to deal with the recoil pretty well with that modification, and using the extended mag baseplates on your mags.

My Smith Bodyguard, like I said was an early version, and it was crap. Smith’s vaunted fast service couldn’t fix it. Maybe this gun is better now, in terms of reliability, but I would make sure of this before getting one. It’s other major issue has been a Very heavy trigger, which you can fix at additional expense by getting an Apex trigger kit put in. I wanted to like the Bodyguard, it’s comfortable to shoot compared to the LCP, and has good sights, but mine just wasn’t reliable.

I sold my unreliable Glock 42 to a buddy (with disclosure) who is a Glock armorer. He had problems too, but sent it back to Glock and they put in new parts which fixed his issues, so that gun may be OK now. It shoots much better than the LCP, but requires a full holster because of its trigger setup. A holster is really a requirement for pocket carry anyway.

People keep mentioning those SIG P238s, but as mentioned above, it’s a single action gun you should carry cocked and locked. You want to do that, OK. I don’t. Mine were also too finicky to be trusted for defensive carry. They shot nice.

Last edited by Mosin44az; May 15, 2019 at 09:42 AM.
Old May 12, 2019, 11:51 PM   #17
Bill DeShivs

Single action guns can also be carried hammer down (condition 2,) as long as you train to use it that way.
Old May 13, 2019, 06:34 AM   #18
Siggy-06

I have a LCP gen 2 (not LCP 2). Trigger is a bit better than the original and the sights are a smidge higher. It rides in my front pocket every day in a Desantis holster. Shooting it isnt very fun, but it’s size and weight make it ideal for my dress style.
Old May 13, 2019, 06:40 AM   #19
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc1965 View Post
EDC a Glock 42..Big fan of 'modern' .380 ammo. Some carry ammo(like Lehigh Xtreme Defender) tests on par with some 9mm JHP, particularly thru barriers/cloth, etc.

Owned a LCP..it worked for what it was but not much fun to shoot. I'm a fan of if I own a gun, want to shoot it often.
Quote:
but I’m looking for something smaller for every day carry
Glock 42, mine is 100% reliable, but it isn't smaller..2017 manufacture, I asked Glock...
RM380 might suit you but again, a lot of the smaller .380 are a PITA to shoot..for me.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 13, 2019, 09:04 AM   #20
TailGator

My pocket pistol is a Sig P238. My wife has one too, in her purse. Both have been completely reliable, and they shoot remarkably well for a pistol of that size.

I find the LCP trigger to be somewhat long and heavy, but certainly manageable. Some folks complain a lot about it, but I consider it appropriate for its application. The recoil on the LCP to me was not uncomfortable, but there was something about the grip shape that let it move in my hand. I am probably in a minority, however, because they are very popular.

I also have a Beretta 85. Definitely not a pocket gun.

Last edited by TailGator; May 14, 2019 at 01:38 PM.
Old May 13, 2019, 09:58 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

My early dash serial number LCP has been in my pocket every day for most of 10 years. It also has been shot in excess of 1000 rounds. Shoots well, 100% reliable, carries well, and disappears in my pocket. Always in a DeSantis Nemesis pocket holster with nothing else in the pocket.
Even when I carry something bigger IWB the LCP is in my pocket.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 13, 2019, 10:01 AM   #22
Road_Clam

My wife recently acquired the Sig P238 in .380 and we both love it. Feels very accomidating in the hand despite being designated as a "compact" . Feels even better in the hand with the mag extension. Excellent shootability, accurate as intended and felt recoil was very smooth and managable. My wife rented several compact and sub-compact platforms, and at the end of the range day she chose the P238 by a comfortable margin. The deciding factor for her was the smoothest felt recoil.
Old May 13, 2019, 10:35 AM   #23
Ed4032

Browning 1910
Old May 13, 2019, 10:58 AM   #24
USNRet93

Couple of suggestions for Sig 238..but OP said
Quote:
I currently have a Ruger LC9 for concealed carry but I’m looking for something smaller for every day carry
Sig 238 ain't much smaller than the LC-9, if at all..

BUT if looking for a Sig 238 size..Glock 42 all the way...

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 13, 2019, 11:07 AM   #25
cw308

I wouldn't go any smaller then a PPK/S in 380 , a small handgun in that caliber is pretty snappy . You may fire it once or twice but to practice even once a month I don't think so. I carry a 1911 in 45acp with full loads 230 fmj . It's a Colt New Agent 3" barrel and I love shooting it once a week 50 rounds . Just my 2¢ .