The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 24, 2011, 03:46 PM   #51
Evan Thomas

Being a cokehead is marginally better than being a crackhead, but it's a little like the sort of question my brother enjoyed asking when he was little: "Would you rather be shot in the head or in the stomach?"

(I hasten to add that I don't speak from personal experience here -- but I've known quite a few people who worked with addicts, and that seemed to be the general opinion.)

But, jeez... assaulting someone, posting about it on Facebook, and then including details about one's blood chemistry at the time of the assault, seems like a new height of stupidity.
Old June 24, 2011, 04:16 PM   #52
youngunz4life

part of our budget(so far a sucka)

I got punked by mega millions and win4life. I pay once a yr online(my state allows this). I am automatically compensated when I win anything. I don't miss a draw - powerball isn't online so sometimes I buy 13 week(26draw) tickets.
Old June 24, 2011, 04:28 PM   #53
youngunz4life

I must've missed something

how can I see the facebook information, posts, etc? are you all seeing it firsthand or not?
Old June 24, 2011, 05:03 PM   #54
Kodyo

The facebook info is in the original thread posted by the would be victim.
Old June 24, 2011, 05:05 PM   #55
Tachi

Go back to the beginning of the thread adn find the Ohio CCW forum link. They have screen captures of the guy's Facebook page. He eventually caught on and made it private, so one of them friended him, got access, and kept getting the goods. The thread is 18 pages. Take a load off and read it all.
Old June 24, 2011, 05:08 PM   #56
egor20

youngunz4life

You need to be a member of Facebook to see them, I happen to Not be an FB person, so I have to read the reactions from people on here.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 24, 2011, 05:10 PM   #57
Nitesites

Me too
Old June 24, 2011, 05:19 PM   #58
Kodyo

You do NOT need to be a member to read the original thread here:
http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=53502

Starts on page 7.
ie:
Quote:
Old June 24, 2011, 05:21 PM   #59
egor20

Kodyo

Thank you, I see FB and just tend to ignore links.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old June 24, 2011, 05:34 PM   #60
FrontSight

Everyone please read The Little Black Book of Violence...this story is right out of all of its lessons
Old June 24, 2011, 06:13 PM   #61
Lee Lapin

Any time I'm putting fuel in a vehicle and the fuel pump is running, I don't have to draw a weapon. I'm already holding one with a bore of about .75 and a range of about 20 feet.

Something to remember if ever in the gravest extreme at the gas station... not anything to fool around with lightly of course, but a possible last ditch option to consider if it's all that's available.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old June 24, 2011, 06:14 PM   #62
anonimoose

Does this experience and the video make anyone re-think or re-emphasize:

1. Having or not having a manual safety on your concealed weapons firearm?
2. If you have a manual safety, practicing with it enough so that you can easily flick it on/off one-handed and/or while under physical duress?
3. Carrying one in the chamber?
4. Practicing with multiple types of firearms and thus potentially adding a layer of complexity/unfamiliarity during the fog of war/stress (revolver vs. DA/SA semi-auto vs. DAO/DAK semi-auto; frame-mounted safety that you flick down vs. slide mounted safety that you flick up, etc?)
5. Practicing for/around non-ideal shooting situations (one-handed, from an angle, on your back, while being punched in the face!, etc?)
Old June 24, 2011, 07:00 PM   #63
Duckkkkk

Got one in the chamber now. My gun handling skills are just fine now after 1500 rounds through 2 different guns. I'm confident and careful why I was still carrying bareback is baffling.
Old June 24, 2011, 08:52 PM   #64
Sailor1911

" Any time I'm putting fuel in a vehicle and the fuel pump is running, I don't have to draw a weapon. I'm already holding one with a bore of about .75 and a range of about 20 feet.

Something to remember if ever in the gravest extreme at the gas station... not anything to fool around with lightly of course, but a possible last ditch option to consider if it's all that's available."

Good Point, and I'll bet the muzzle flash from the 45 makes it more interesting for the BG!
Old June 24, 2011, 09:16 PM   #65
9mm

BB Jr is the guy's friend who got shot?
And he posted this on his FB? lol
Old June 24, 2011, 09:42 PM   #66
TXGunNut

Two points: Good guy went home, BG's went to the hospital and jail. That's a mark in the "Win" column. Second point: shooter was surprised by second attacker, no info on other attackers or if they were armed. He disengaged and retreated to a safe position until the cops arrived. One of the best tactical (and legal) decisons he made all night.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 24, 2011, 11:18 PM   #67
TexasJustice7

QUOTE:

"It appears that the Castle doctrine will apply since the BG was trying to pull him out of his car when he shot. The posts on FB from the BGs buddy are, well, enlightening. "
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is exactly the reason when I have to drive from Texas to Lousiana
that I gas up, before I leave in a (Prius), buy all my food, drinks and never stop after I leave Texas till I return. I can't carry due to the restriction
of it being federal property so I just don't stop for anything.

The Castle Doctrine would protect me in Texas, but I am sure that if I had a weapon even with a permit it might be taken, even in Texas but fortunately
I own three. This is another reason for me putting my faith in a revolver is I only need one hand to fire it, and can fire them from either hand. Leaving the car without his gun was his first mistake IMHO. He should also not have permitte the guy to get that close to him, and warned him when he approached. Hindsight is 20/20, though.
Old June 25, 2011, 12:23 AM   #68
youngunz4life

here's another, seperate incident with a car

http://www.wxii12.com/r/28345979/detail.html
Old June 25, 2011, 01:14 AM   #69
MLeake

TexasJustice7, I have nothing against revolvers; I own nine at last count, and sometimes carry a revolver or two as CCW.

However, I can shoot all of my autos with either hand, so I'm not quite sure why you brought that up...

If you prefer a revolver, by all means carry a revolver. But one can very easily learn to shoot autos with either hand, with or without ambi controls.

Whatever I carry, though, it has a round chambered. And whatever I carry, it's on my person unless I have to enter a prohibited spot, in which case it's locked in a vehicle vault, and recovered as soon as I'm back at my vehicle.
Old June 25, 2011, 01:17 AM   #70
MLeake

I haven't noticed anybody else bring this up, in this thread, so I will:

Learning at least some basic hand-to-hand skills is a good thing. If one's SA fails sufficiently to let a bad guy close, or if one is grabbed or attacked while in a crowded place, it's good to have some conditioned reflexes for breaking free, and striking or distracting the BG.

Having a gun is only useful if you have time and space to bring it into play. SA is the first buffer, but H2H training is an additional one that could help win the day.
Old June 25, 2011, 08:09 AM   #71
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Two points: Good guy went home, BG's went to the hospital and jail.
Actually, the unshot bad guy hasn't been to jail for THIS charge yet. He was arrested for aggravated assault on someone else last month but at this moment he is free and posting in Facebook. Police have indicated they intend to charge him in this case as well. Just a reminder your antagonist may not be headed to jail immediately after a confrontation where a crime occurred.
Old June 25, 2011, 08:39 AM   #72
TXGunNut

I missed that, Mr Roberts. Thanks. I'm quite familiar with our criminal injustice system and have no illusions that bad guys stay where they belong, or even go there in the first place. The important thing is that the good guy went home. If the bad guy that was mouthing on FB is stupid enough to tangle with our good guy again maybe his aim will be a bit better this time, little doubt his tactics will be.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old June 25, 2011, 09:02 AM   #73
MLeake

I hope somebody has been archiving BG#2's Facebook posts for the DA. Should make his sentencing much more..... interesting.
Old June 25, 2011, 10:49 AM   #74
Nitesites

Nevermind that the accomplice is posting on FB, why is this individual freely walking the streets? This was a premeditated attack and given this tool's prior history, why on God's Green Earth is this scumbag walking freely amongst us rather than in a cell awaiting trial?

Edit : Apologies regarding my question as it is moving away from the T&T topic but it is absolutely insane that this guy is on the streets...

Furthermore, why do I feel the need to carry? CASE IN POINT!

Last edited by Nitesites; June 25, 2011 at 11:15 AM.
Old June 25, 2011, 12:15 PM   #75
Kodyo

Quote:
I hope somebody has been archiving BG#2's Facebook posts for the DA. Should make his sentencing much more..... interesting.
The original forum is quite long and wordy, but in short, he has reported the facebook pictures to the police.