The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 4, 2019, 10:33 PM   #1
Bill Daniel

Favorite Grip

I am building an AR 10 in 6.5 Creedmoor. What is your favorite grip. Components AeroPrecision builder kit, Criterion 22” hybrid barrel, Geissel SSAE trigger.
What do you like and why?
Thanks,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old July 4, 2019, 11:40 PM   #2
riffraff

Let us know how it goes with that barrel when you get to testing, what are you doing for a BCG and gas block?..

As far as grips I like the plain old mil spec I believe its called A2, with the finger notch.. I'm sure there is something "better" but if its got a wider backstrap or lacks the notch then I dont like it at all.

If by grip you mean handguard, Im a big fan of the Aero enhanced stuff that secures with 8 screws, simple positive bolt down and removal and is a good light yet rugged design.
Old July 5, 2019, 05:45 AM   #3
Bill Daniel

Favorite grip

Thanks riffraff! The gas block is a Superlative Arms .875 adjustable, I ordered a head spaced JP bolt with the barrel and will use a .308 bolt carrier from Brownells.
All the best,
Bill

"Let us speak courteously, deal fairly, and keep ourselves armed and ready." Theodore Roosevelt 1903
Old July 5, 2019, 11:01 AM   #4
kymasabe

Magpul is my go to, usually the MOE grip, unless I'm building a pistol, then I use the MOE K2 grip. Option #2 for rifles is the Spikes Tactical Pro grip.
Why? I like the angles and grip texture. They're not too fat or too thin, and come with good grip screws, and I hate finger grooves and especially that notch on the stock A2 grip so the Magpuls fit right, feel right, and are affordable.
Old July 5, 2019, 11:58 AM   #5
riffraff

Thats probably going to be a trend in the feedback- if you like the notch or not.

Myself I feel like if that notch isn't there my grip isn't as secure but I imagine if it lines up wrong with your hand its real obnoxious.
Old July 6, 2019, 10:31 AM   #6
pblanc

I like the more upright angle of the Magpul K2 grip and prefer the over-molded K2+ version which seems to provide a bit more secure grip in rapid fire.

I detest the M16 A2 style grip with the index finger bump.
Old July 8, 2019, 08:29 PM   #7
Quick1

My go to grip is the Bravo Company BCMGUNFIGHTER Grip Mod 0. Have them on several rifles and my Ruger Charger. Like the angle and feel.
Old July 9, 2019, 10:41 AM   #8
DMK

I've tried a bunch of different grips (Hogue, Magpul, A1, A2, A2 modified with the notch sanded off) and out of all of them, I like the Ergo grip the best. A1 is my second favorite. I have medium to large hands with long fingers (wear 'large' size gloves).

Old July 9, 2019, 10:43 AM   #9
DMK

Quote:
I imagine if it lines up wrong with your hand its real obnoxious.
That is exactly my problem with the A2. Houge's finger grooves work OK for me though so
Old July 9, 2019, 06:24 PM   #10
sevt_chevelle

BCM hands down. More of a vertical grip, fatter grip fills hand better, plus they fit the lower unlike the Magpul MOE grips.
Old July 11, 2019, 06:07 AM   #11
jetinteriorguy

I prefer the Magpul with the rubber texture, followed closely by Hogue.
Old July 11, 2019, 08:31 PM   #12
44caliberkid

I like the CAA Ergonomic pistol grip. Ergo or Houge after that.
Old July 11, 2019, 09:55 PM   #13
FrankenMauser

Ergo is okay, but a bit slim. It tends to 'punch' a lot of shooters in the web of the thumb. I have half a dozen of them.

Lately, I've been moving to the Magpul MOE+ grip. Wider, shorter (front to back), more comfortable, and doesn't feel like a cheap piece of plastic covered in a used condom, in your hand.
Old July 12, 2019, 07:49 PM   #14
DMK

Quote:
It tends to 'punch' a lot of shooters in the web of the thumb.
Due to the horrific recoil of 223/5.56?

Just kidding. I know the OP is asking for an AR10
Old July 12, 2019, 10:04 PM   #15
Bartholomew Roberts

Sierra Precision SPR grip. I even like it on rifles I use weakside, though it certainly isn’t ideal in that role.
Old July 15, 2019, 12:15 PM   #16
burrhead

I've built four ARs including a hideously expensive 24" varmint rifle. They all have A2s on them. Just fits my hand.

I'm offended by people that are easily offended.
Old July 17, 2019, 10:25 AM   #17
COSteve

The grip one prefers will be influenced in large part by the shape of your hand and how you grip your AR. Those of you with small hands or short, thick fingers generally like the stock A2 style grips while those of us with large hands or long, thin fingers usually find the A2 style grips way too small.

I can easily wrap the middle joint of my trigger finger around the trigger with a stock grip so it's woefully too small for me as are all the grips I tried. Not finding anything even close, I took a couple of Ergo 2 grips, a little bondo, some black paint, and made my own.

I greatly increased the thickness of the beaver tail so that I can get the grip to trigger length back where it works for me. I also added a thumb rest and a trigger finger pad for a very comfortable grip. I made a couple of these in 2004 for my AR carbines and they still work very well.

The first one I made has a large thumb rest and pronounced trigger finger pad. It works very well for my size hand.

The other grip I made shortly afterwards for a carbine my son uses and I reduced the size of the thumb rest and pad as he likes a bit less pronounced rests.

I also couldn't find a walnut grip I liked for my 20" A4 I've set up for 400yd shooting so I made one myself. It's a bit less pronounced as this shape works well with the walnut buttstock shape.

Old July 17, 2019, 12:52 PM   #18
zukiphile

COSteve, that's some laudable bondo work with the ergos.

Quote:
The grip one prefers will be influenced in large part by the shape of your hand and how you grip your AR. Those of you with small hands or short, thick fingers generally like the stock A2 style grips while those of us with large hands or long, thin fingers usually find the A2 style grips way too small.
Emphasis added.

Indeed. My gloves are XXL and I have long skinny fingers, but the A2 grip is comfortable for me. My middle finger hangs on the notch so that my hold is low and my index finger is always in the same position with the tip of the finger pointing back at me. It's unlike the way I grip a pistol.

I may be doing it incorrectly, but I find the A2 more comfortable than any of the others people get very enthusiastic over.
Old July 17, 2019, 10:17 PM   #19
Bill Daniel

Favorite grip

Thanks for the input fellows!
Still waiting on some back order parts.
I decided to try a MagPul MIAD G 1.1
Once build I will report back.
Thanks to all.
Bill

Old July 17, 2019, 10:54 PM   #20
rickyrick

Never felt the need beyond the A2 grip, but this is my favorite... leather wrapped A2 that I did a few years ago

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 17, 2019, 11:07 PM   #21
Warhammer

I'm another fan of the Magpul MOE K2. I like short, compact rifles, and the more upright angle of the K2 works well with shorter lengths of pull. I don't, however, care for the overmolded soft rubber of the K2+.
Old July 18, 2019, 05:56 PM   #22
ronl

I have a great dislike for an A2 grip. Just doesn't fit my hand at all. I have tried a lot of different grips , Magpul, Ergo, Hogue, MFT. They are all decent grips and I like them, but my favorite grip is a Trinity Force standard AR grip. Go figure, the cheapest thing I have is my favorite. Bought at a local shop when I was putting together a rifle, and that was the only grip they had, the very last one, and it was really cheap. I figured I'd swap it out later. That was two years ago and it's still on the rifle. Really like it.
Old July 19, 2019, 06:19 AM   #23
DMK

Quote:
Never felt the need beyond the A2 grip, but this is my favorite... leather wrapped A2 that I did a few years ago
Now that's different. That would look really cool on an A1 or A2 rifle with a wood stock and handguard.
Old July 21, 2019, 09:04 PM   #24
raimius

Another vote for BCM here.