The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2008, 03:44 PM   #1
mikenbarb

Whatever happened to Herters reloading equipment?

I have acquired alot of Herter's Reloading and misc. equipment and wondering what ever happend to the company and where did they go? The equipment looks like its great quality and made well.
Old June 28, 2008, 04:12 PM   #2
Gbro

This site has a little HX on it.http://www.wildturkeyzone.com/turkey...rs/herters.htm

If you like the quality of there products, you have got to read some of his books!
Old June 28, 2008, 04:43 PM   #3
dmickey

I have a set of Herter's .32 Winchester Special reloading dies and a powder measure. Any offers??
Old June 28, 2008, 04:56 PM   #4
JWT

The brief Herters history on the site referrenced was very nostalgic. As a kid in the 50's I read Herters catalogs with amazement at the wonderful hunting and fishing equipment they offered. George Leonard Herter had a great ability to make almost exact copies of brand name goods, call them something similar, and sell them for significantly less.

Their quality was generally good, especially for the prices paid.

Still have a fly tying vice and a few other goodies from Herters laying around.

Cabellas now seems to 'own' the Herters brand and sells a few items under that name.
Old June 28, 2008, 04:56 PM   #5
Scorch

Herter's was the mail-order king back in the '50s and '60s. Anything you wanted that related to guns could be found. It was always "finest", "best", "rare find", "exclusive" stuff, mostly a lot of hot air but pretty good products. They had a lot of stuff that was made exclusively for them, and some that you could find just about anywhere under different brands. Herters was crippled by the GCA '68, and got the 'coup de grace' after Herters' financing fell through for a chain of sporting goods stores across the country. The company collapsed and went bankrupt in 1971, IIRC. Nowadays, Cabela's is kind of what Herter's wanted to be.

As far as their reloading stuff, it was made by a variety of manufacturers, primarily Hollywood and Redding, IIRC. It was of very good quality, but most of the presses had screw-in shell holders and are difficult to convert to the snap-in type.
Old June 28, 2008, 06:41 PM   #6
mikenbarb

I got a Herters catalog and its pretty neat to see what they charged back then. $14.95 for a Heavy cast iron C Press. And lots are still in use today. I found a couple herters shell holders on sleez-bay and their cheap as heck. I am acquiring alot of Herters reloading and gun stuff and selling here it if I cant use it. Im gonna try to get a Herters reloading book just to check it out. Im sure alot of data is still the same now as it was then. I would love to get my hands on one of their 2 die presses, They look pretty cool.
Old June 28, 2008, 09:47 PM   #7
thebaldguy

My dad used to get Herter's catalogs all the time. I always liked reading them. They had stores in Mitchell SD and in Waseca MN. I remember going to the Waseca store as a kid.

Herter's also had some books as well. They had a Guide's Manual and a Bull cookbook. They are pretty amusing reads.
Old June 28, 2008, 10:19 PM   #8
Gnarly

Herters Stuff

The only presses I own are 2 'antique' Herters Super #3 presses; one I bought in (I think!) 1977 and was taught to handload on.I got snap-in shellholder adapters from ch4d. I plan on handing the setups down to my grandsons.

I have some extra Herters shellholders, large & small primer arms, a primer catcher & 2 original Herters boxes for sale, if anyone is interested.

----Gnarly
Old June 28, 2008, 10:27 PM   #9
mikenbarb

Thebaldguy, I just acquired 2 Belgian engraving tools that have the original stickers from the Mitchell store. I posted them for sale on the for sale threads. I know a guy that has ALOT of Herters stuff and im getting it little by little. Its all NIB and cool items that you dont see anymore. If anyone knows where to get a Herters 2 station press, Please let me know. I would love to have one fastened to my bench.
Old June 29, 2008, 12:45 PM   #10
BntBrl

Ir seems like there was an article somewhere a while back about Herters. If my memory recalls me correctly, one of the first things to hurt him was that you couldnt ship guns in the mail any longer because of a law change. I also want to say he either got depression or some other similar condition. Im too young to know about him other than in reading. I do remember reading the outlandish claims on some of the products, but thats just good old fashioned marketing.
Old June 29, 2008, 03:05 PM   #11
dmickey

Does anyone remember Herter's Cactus candy. I gave a piece to one of my coworkers. He said it tasted like hair oil! You know, he just might have been right!
Old July 2, 2008, 09:06 PM   #12
jamaica

Well........... There is a Model 3 press on my bench and numerous dies still doing duty. I think I paid all of $13 for the Model 3. Ya, that was a few years ago.
Old July 2, 2008, 10:02 PM   #13
Ruger4570

Lord knows I sure miss the old Herter stuff and catalogs. Somewhere in my storage bin, I still have a reloading book with stories of Jacques Herter and others.
They really had advertising down pat, and the stuff was pretty good for the price too.
Old July 4, 2008, 10:45 PM   #14
Far Side

Herters reloading equipment

I recently "inherited" all of my brother-in-laws reloading equipment. As a kid, he would take me target practicing with him and/or varmint hunting.

Specifically, I am interested in reloading dies, etc. that will fit a 1960's Herters C-3 Super reloading press. I am specifically interested in 7mm mag, 30-06, .45, .40, 9mm and .223 calibers. I appreciate the help!
Old July 4, 2008, 10:55 PM   #15
mikenbarb

Farside, I think it takes regular dies.
Old July 5, 2008, 07:38 AM   #16
Rembrandt

Found this Herters model 234 turret press and powder measure for $5 at a garage sale.....too bad they don't make 'em like that anymore.

Old July 5, 2008, 10:19 AM   #17
Gnarly

Herters Stuff

Amen! to that, Rembrandt-they don't make 'em like that anymore!

And to FarSide, Mikenbarb said it right: any modern dies will fit your press.

The trick part is the shellholder; if yours didn't come with an 'updated' shell-holder adapter that allows you to use modern (Redding/RCBS/Lyman,etc.) shellholders, you can get one at: ch4d.com or VegaTool.com.They're about $19 + shipping. [Be sure you buy extra clips! About $1 each;an extra or two is good insurance in case you lose the original.]

I have some spare original Herters parts for sale, including one original shellholder to fit some of the caliber you named, but I believe you'd be better off to just get one of the adapters named above.

Wish I could trade Rembrandt outta that turret & powder measure....
Old July 5, 2008, 04:55 PM   #18
wncchester

"...acquired alot of Herter's Reloading and misc. equipment and wondering what ever happend to the company and where did they go? "

What happened to Herter's ? Well, mostly, it was the Gun Control Act of '68 which cut off the public ordering any firearm through the mails, all to cut crime you know but you can pretty well guess how effective it was. But, at the same time, Cabala's, Gander Mountain and several other broad based mail maketers were rising. Altogether, it was just too much for Herters to combat. When they failed we lost the small time hunter/shooter's best friend ever.

We lost access to great things like Sako and FN barreled actions for under $100 as well as good quality but inexpensive loading tools for half or less of the bigger brands. Herter was the Richard Lee of his day!
Old July 5, 2008, 08:55 PM   #19
Rico567

Above all, if you ever see one of Herter's books, read at least part of it, if you can. George Leonard Herter is an -unique- read, to say the least. My favorite title: How To Live With A Bitch. Although I suppose his book of Bull Cook recipes is more useful.

- Mark Twain
Old July 6, 2008, 10:55 AM   #20
mikenbarb

Rembrandt, Cool press. I just picked up a Herters Super 81, 2 ram that im setting up and its gonna ge great! Got any extra holders? RICO, I just picked up the live with a bitch book and it great! I have a few other Herters books that they offered and love to read them. They have great info and some funny stuff in them. I find their reloading books very usefull because I have one of their press's and other items and the manual covers them all.
Old July 6, 2008, 03:49 PM   #21
TEDDY

Herters

they had a fantastic fishing product and the hooks were priced like 70 cents a hundred.the best part to me was the stocks they sold for $10 and I had a Gew 43 stocked and glass bedded by them for like $25 complete.I have most all the shell holders and some dies.as well as the #3 pres.they also had a bullet sweging tool.could it be a c&h?i also have the scale which I think is a REDDING as I have a redding.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:29 PM   #22
Far Side

Gnarly and Mikenbarb,

Thanks for the info!! I appreciate it.

Far Side