The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 17, 2016, 12:01 PM   #1
Colorado Redneck

Unenforced Gun Laws

This is a fairly unbiased article in the Newsweek from November, 2015. It is good reading a fairly brief. The most interesting point, IMO, is that the ATF and FBI are understaffed and cannot spend the resources to effectively enforce existing laws. As well, the article states:

Quote:
Studies have shown that the two largest sources (comprising 80 percent) of guns for bad guys are straw purchases by family members, or street sales of stolen guns. But when was the last time you heard about a program designed to target either of these sources?
http://www.newsweek.com/american-gun...nforced-390456

It seems politicians focus on promoting ideas that feel good to their voters, rather than promoting actual workable programs or allocations of money to understaffed agencies. When will we hear of a law maker professing that the government needs to spend money to enforcement, rather than make speeches that focus on ideas which will be ineffective but impinge on the 2nd amendment and punish legal gun ownership?
Old May 17, 2016, 02:35 PM   #2
KyJim

Quote:
But when was the last time you heard about a program designed to target either of these sources?
How about Project Gunrunner and Fast and Furious? Not exactly a model of how to investigate and enforce straw purchase laws.
Old May 17, 2016, 06:11 PM   #3
Colorado Redneck

With the election on the horizon, the rhetoric will undoubtedly ramp up as we get nigh to November. It is a sad commentary that unenforceable laws which don't work effectively only lead to more laws that don't work. Business usually does a cost/benefit analysis of proposed changes in policy or direction. Wonder if that ever crosses any candidates minds.
Old May 17, 2016, 08:54 PM   #4
Spats McGee
Staff

A word of caution: Let's stick to the topic at hand, avoiding: (a) wild speculation; and (b) pure politics.
Old May 17, 2016, 10:03 PM   #5
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
Business usually does a cost/benefit analysis of proposed changes in policy or direction. Wonder if that ever crosses any candidates minds.
I don't know about what crosses candidates minds, but I do know that legislators have staffs that do cost/benefit analysis on the intended results of proposed laws.

The problem we get is the legislators only seeing the benefits, while we only see the costs!

And for the serious gun control advocates, no cost is too high for even the smallest claimed benefit (which usually turns out to be false, and of no real benefit at all).

They say leadership is a top down thing, and so it seems to be. Despite a lot of good people, trying their best to do their jobs and enforce all applicable laws, when the leaders don't give a rip, we "get what we got" today.

When our Vice President, Joe Biden, was directly asked why so few prohibited people are prosecuted when they try to buy guns, his answer was a dismissive hand wave and "We don't have time for that,"

I saw him say it. I'm sure he's not the only high official with that attitude.

I believe it is a carefully thought out plan, to create a self feeding cycle, aimed at more and more laws being created. They claim we need a certain law to make us "safe". They pass the law. Then they don't enforce the law, well enough, or even at all. We are no safer. So the then claim we need another law to be safe, and ....repeat the process...

and with modifications, it works for more than just gun control.
Old May 19, 2016, 07:59 AM   #6
DaleA

Quote:
Then they don't enforce the law, well enough, or even at all. We are no safer. So the then claim we need another law to be safe, and ....repeat the process...
I once suggested a political cartoon. It would show a diapered baby on the playroom floor with toys all around it, crying and pointing at a new toy up on a shelf. The baby would be labeled 'law makers', the toys would be labeled 'gun laws' and the exasperated parent standing over the baby would be saying 'but honey, you're not playing with the toys you already have!'.

I don't suppose it's all that original but I didn't copy it from anywhere (on the third hand, I suppose it's a pretty obvious cartoon....Anyway, if somebody wanted to do something with the idea I sure wouldn't say anything about it.
Old May 19, 2016, 09:34 AM   #7
BarryLee

This isn’t just an issue as it relates to firearms, but to many areas that the Federal Government tries to regulate like workplace safety. Also, we see it at the local level with things like zoning laws. The reality is it’s much easier to make a law than it is to come up with the funding for enforcement.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman