The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 11, 2014, 06:25 AM   #51
Brit

The only chance one of us would have in that gas station (Illinois) hand over cash with left hand, power gasoline in his face with the right!

I lock Jeep as I exit, in Florida I would have been armed, I always am!

"I only got $20.00 in my wallet" reaching for it. BANG!

The reason he started to get up, and moved around? Not a shot that took out the brain stem, or the spine. But that would have been a .40 caliber!
Could have hit all kinds of good stuff, he was dead at the scene.

The dump the gas pump was the natural reaction to go hands free.
Old March 11, 2014, 04:57 PM   #52
Skans

Quote:
This occurred around 10 pm last night. He has the pump nozzle in his hand and he is approached by thug #....
I don't know if this was already mentioned, but anytime I'm pumping gas and its dark out, I have my 9mm in my pocket and my hand on the grip. I've been approached several times while pumping gas - so far, only by bums begging for money. Still, gas stations and ATM's after dark are target rich environments for criminals. I guess what I'm saying is that he could have anticipated this a bit better.

Another tactic I use when I'm at a gas station is to wash my windows - this lets me look around quite a bit and keeps me moving - not just wedged between my car, a gas hose and the gas pump. When I see a bum approach, I keep moving. They typically want you to stop in your tracks and pay attention to them - that's the last thing I do.

Last edited by Skans; March 11, 2014 at 05:10 PM.
Old March 21, 2014, 12:58 PM   #53
jbrown50

I've noticed that a lot of new automobiles are programmed to unlock both front doors or all doors automatically when the shifter is put into park. My truck, a 2013 Toyota Tundra, does it. I've trained myself to instantly re-lock the doors until I can get a competent dealer to reprogram it differently. It really isn't necessary for it to be programmed this way since when the truck is in park or turned off a simple pull of the handle will open the door from the inside whether locked or not.

Anyway I remember mentioning this to persons, mostly females. in the dealers that I've taken it to for routine service. Most of them don't see a problem with it and prefer that the doors unlock automatically. Some begin to think otherwise when I point out to them the danger of criminals opening the door to access their vehicle when stopped. Other dummies simply respond with the typical "I don't live in or frequent bad neighborhoods so I'm not worried".

It's frustrating how many people have their heads up their butts when it comes to basic personal security.
Old March 21, 2014, 01:27 PM   #54
Jim567

I've noticed that a lot of new automobiles are programmed to unlock both front doors or all doors automatically when the shifter is put into park.
----------------------------------------------
Wow - My Mercury ( 2010 ) does the opposite. It locks the doors 30 seconds after the car is put in gear. It does not unlock when put in park.
Surprising Toyota would do that.
Old April 19, 2014, 07:53 PM   #55
Brit

My 2008, Jeep, at 15 MPH, all lock, can not find my Jeep, press lock, BEEP! so I can find it, unlock! Does not beep.

I have to press unlock, so they can get out! No it is not a Police Car!

To open rear doors from the inside, I press unlock, then they can unlock their door, to exit.
Old April 20, 2014, 03:17 AM   #56
gyvel

I find it somewhat ironic that the LEO's motor was running while he was refueling. Don't know about Illinois, but I know that's illegal (and highly dangerous) in some, if not many places.

Last edited by gyvel; April 20, 2014 at 09:17 AM.
Old April 21, 2014, 11:28 AM   #57
psyfly

Quote:
I've noticed that a lot of new automobiles are programmed to unlock both front doors or all doors automatically when the shifter is put into park.
In virtually all these vehicles, these functions are programmable. Learn how to program yours; it could save you a lot of hassle, if not your life.

I have programmed mine to lock the doors when the ignition key is turned on and to unlock only the driver's side door when the ignition key is removed.

Best,

W.
Old May 14, 2014, 06:50 AM   #58
Brit

I know this is quite the old thread, but, I was thinking about it when I filled up yesterday.

How I filled up, first, never wait till I NEED! gas, yesterday, fraction under half full, look at mileage (needed for gas card) open door, lock it, close it behind me, key fob on D ring.

Unlock Gas cap (stops drama when parked on plazas) place on roof, start the auto run gas pump, clean bugs off glass. Full, gas cap locked on, beep, step in, door close, lock, start and go.

Same little routine always. Seems like Visitors to Crime Town (Chicago) can now carry on their home State Permit.
Old May 16, 2014, 09:02 AM   #59
Unlicensed Dremel

Nice fantasy story - but we know it didn't happen. There is no crime in gun-free utopia Chicago, let alone GUN crime!
Old May 18, 2014, 11:34 PM   #60
brmfan

Kind of strange but I was reading this thread a couple days ago, and the idea of trouble sneaking up on you stuck with me more than dissecting the gas station incident. I normally leave my 'big' pistol at home unless I'm on the road for an extended period. I usually just keep a NAA mini revolver in my pocket. Long story short, my wife and I were headed home yesterday from a family event with our 4 month old and we pulled in to the far end of a large shopping center parking lot to feed and change the baby. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary except it was a beautiful chilly day and there was a small carnival going on a few blocks over. My wife got out of the truck and just as she opened the back door to take care baby 2 cars suddenly pulled up right behind us, passenger side. Again this was in the far end of an otherwise empty shopping center lot. What quickly added up in my mind was 'Oh ___, were about to be robbed or worse!' and all I remember is the look on my wife's face, my one hand grabbing my locked & loaded HK USP 45, and my other hand on the door handle. My eyes never left those two cars. I got about half way out the door before I realized they were just kids meeting up, probably to go to the carnival. Years ago I probably wouldn't have reacted as such but today people are becoming victims of violence for no apparent reason and us being off in an empty corner of the lot probably made a seemingly easy target.
Anyway, I'm glad nothing happened but it was a wake up at how fast the situation changed from routine to possibly serious in about .5 seconds. Maybe this thread was on my mind, and maybe it's because I'm a new dad. Either way, I definitely appreciate the 'nudge' to take my pistol with me (I have a CCW btw) that I got from reading this post!

Last edited by brmfan; May 19, 2014 at 03:59 AM.
Old May 19, 2014, 09:06 AM   #61
psalm7

Parking lots are terrible , right here in rural TN a serial killer grabbed a woman on her way into work , a truck driver was kin napped for his truck and what it was carrying , a couple of times bodies have been found unexplained , bumms and meth heads becoming violent and robberies are common . In a near by urban area the Hispanic BP gang had a shoot out with the Crips or Bloods and exacuted one of their members in broad daylight . I know a LEO that works in a bad part of Nashvile and he stays a nervous wreck . He drives a 100 mile one way to make a living there .
Old May 19, 2014, 08:30 PM   #62
Valerko

Wouldn't the moral of the story be " avoid dark gas station, ATM s , parking lots at night ?"
Fill up in the morning. Most toughs are asleep from pulling all nighter.
Old May 20, 2014, 03:41 PM   #63
Sabrewolfe

Um, no. The moral is, "Situational Awareness is Life." While doing your best to avoid things like filling your tank after dark is obviously a good idea, there will invariably be time when you have no choice. That's just the reality that is Life.

Bad things happen to good people. You will never get advance notice from the bad guys on when and where they will do bad things. So, be vigilant, be prepared, and stay alive. Situational Awareness IS Life.

"Without logic, reason is useless. With it, you can win arguments and alienate multitudes." - Unknown
Old May 30, 2014, 06:09 AM   #64
Brit

When I was the go too Dad, in my Son's Security Company, for true Guard duty for ATM Tec's, in the dodgy places/times, IE after 9PM.

Pucker factor was hi! Older vehicle pulling up, and waiting, twenty yards away, kids on bikes. And remember, my Security Vehicle parked behind the Tec', complete with orange cones! They still drive up "Is it down!" Yes it is.

So if standing there clearly armed is dodgy, don't go at night!