The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 28, 2011, 02:22 PM   #1
cloud8a

NRA Skill Series muzzle loader hunting book?

On page 92 it is suggested that experiments using hot water for cleaning a muzzleloader actually promotes rusting and it is best to use cool water. This book is copyright 1990.
Does anyone have this book and know of other contradictory things in it?
Old April 28, 2011, 02:37 PM   #2
Hawg

I've always used hot water and got no rust. I have heard some people say they get flash rusting from hot water so I can't refute it. It may depend on location.
Old April 28, 2011, 04:05 PM   #3
mykeal

I have gone from hot water to cold water to lukewarm water. Frankly, in my location and with the techniques I use the temperature of the water seems to have no effect.

You say the book contains a contradiction - is the use of hot water recommended in another location in the book? Where does it contradict itself?
Old April 28, 2011, 04:28 PM   #4
Pahoo

I have read this before but have never read the NRA publication, you are refering to. The theory is that metal parts would expand with the use of hot water. Water would fill cracks and small voids and then cooled would seal them in. As and example, the threads in a breech plug. I no longer give it much though as I stopped using water years ago. I'm thinking that this is why I never recommend anyone trying to remove this plug on a side-lock. .....

Will have to go back in some of my old books and see what I can find. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old April 29, 2011, 12:01 AM   #5
cloud8a

It does not contradict itself just what I have heard from others. I use hot water and never have seen a problem. Never had anyone tell me that cool water was better than hot. The date of the book (1990) made me wonder if this had been proven wrong over the last 20 years.
Old April 29, 2011, 04:45 AM   #6
mykeal

Sorry, I misunderstood. My fault.