The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2011, 07:11 AM   #1
oilcan72

What's the deal with Conversion cylinders??

I looked for a conversion cylinder for my ASM Remington, the only ones I could find were for Pietta, or Uberti, I emailed Kirst and was told the Pietta is pretty close but I would have to send the gun in and get the cylinder fitted. Does anyone make a conversion for all the ASM's out there?? I'm wanting to get one for my Walker but getting the same results.

Thanks,

oilcan72
Old April 20, 2011, 07:37 AM   #2
MJN77

ASM has been out of business for years. Uberti and Pietta are the most common makers, so you will probably find conversion cylinders for those two makers, unless you want to have one custom fitted like Kirst said.
Old April 20, 2011, 10:14 AM   #3
Bishop Creek

Kirst and Howell (formally R&D) get so few requests for conversion cylinders for the old ASMs that it would not be profitable for them to manufacture them and keep them in stock. Send your pistol to Kirst, the gunsmith there, Jay Strite, will do an excellent job of fitting a Pietta cylinder to your piece and have it back to you in no time. If you send it to Howell, it may be a long time (maybe years) before you get it back.
Old April 20, 2011, 10:17 AM   #4
ClemBert

+1

Get a Kirst cylinder with a loading gate and have Jay Strite cut a channel in the recoil shield for rear loading capability. He'll fit the cylinder in there just right.
Old April 20, 2011, 12:35 PM   #5
oilcan72

Thanks guys for the info I guess I'll have to do that, I just hate to send things off. I'll give it a shot.

Thanks,
oilcan72