The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 27, 2002, 02:11 AM   #1
HKguy9

"K-Bar" vs. "Ka-Bar" Knives

Is there a difference between the K-Bar of WWII fame and the "Ka-Bar" in New York, such as the difference between Springfield Armory, the US govt factory, and SA, Inc. of Geneseo, Ill.?
Old March 27, 2002, 03:06 AM   #2
Seeker

It is the same design produced by the same company. I wear one around my land and use it as a tool. I've been very happy with myKa-Bar and think it is the best belt knife you can get for less than $62 (price has gone up mine was $40 a couple of years ago).

Quote:
The limited production Commemorative was quickly taken up by Marines, knife enthusiasts, and collectors, and KA-BAR knew that it should now be returned to production, in its standard issue form, with all of the original specifications. Fortunately, the original blueprints were in the company archives.
from
Ka-Bar was there

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old March 27, 2002, 08:56 AM   #3
ronin308

If you go to http://www.knifecenter.com you can get one for cheaper than $62. BTW, do you pronounce it "ka" (rhymes with ta) or do you say "K" (as in kay)? I've always wondered!
Old March 27, 2002, 09:29 AM   #4
HKguy9

I have a Black Tanto and love it...i never take it in the field because I use it for making sushi.

Anyway, would you use a clip-point (their standard USMC knife) for camp/hiking or would you rather use a drop point?
Old March 27, 2002, 03:43 PM   #5
ronin308

For hunting use I prefer a drop point. For camping/hiking, I would just bring the tanto. It can always be washed I use my Recon Tanto as a kitchen knife sometimes.
Old March 28, 2002, 11:11 AM   #6
BigG

We say "K" as in Kay-Bar.

I have always used it to refer generically to the WWII era knives with leather handles and 6 1/2" carbon steel blades made by Ka-bar, Camillus, and others for the gomt.
o "The Earth is degenerating today. Bribery and corruption abound. Children no longer obey their parents, every man wants to write a book, and it is evident that the end of the world is fast approaching." Assyrian tablet, c. 2800 BC

o "In the beginning of a change, the patriot is a scarce man brave, hated, and scorned. When his cause succeeds, however, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." Mark Twain

o "They have gun control in Cuba. They have universal health care in Cuba. So why do they want to come here?" Paul Harvey

o TODAY WE CARVE OUT OUR OWN OMENS! Leonidas, Thermopylae, 480 BC
Old March 28, 2002, 04:01 PM   #7
ronin308

Thanks BigG!