The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old March 17, 2002, 10:45 PM   #1
Nevada Fitch

Question about canes?

I was wondering if you can still carry a cane on an airplane. I have always heard that you could but I wonder if things have changed in the last few months since Sept. 11?
Old March 17, 2002, 10:59 PM   #2
Erich

I've been on several flights since then, and never had a problem with my Canemaster Gentleman's cane. I have a bum hip, so it's actually necessary and I have a doctor's note, but it's never come up at all. As always, they X-ray the cane.

(Man, I'm glad TFL is back up! Feels like I'm back home!)
Old March 18, 2002, 11:35 AM   #3
jimsbowies

depends on the "time of day"

Flew two weekends ago and saw them take a lady's cane.....they put it onboard but wouldn't allow her to take it....the flight attendants gave it back to her when she got off the plane at our destination...
Old March 18, 2002, 12:01 PM   #4
SAWBONES

It depends on the cane, not the time of day. Only crook top canes are specifically permitted. Flat top, knob-headed and other canes with a "decorative" aspect may be considered to be potential weapons, at the discretion of the airline personnel, while crook top canes are viewed as less threatening.

That's how things stand at present. Obviously, ANY sort of stick can be a formidable impact weapon. The canes from www.canemasters.com fill the bill nicely. DO NOT attempt to carry on any sort of sword cane or other hollow, compartment-type cane, as it WILL be X-rayed.

One tip: Don't sit in an exit row if you carry a cane on board, or your "abilities" may be called into question, either to assist passengers exiting the plane via that row, or regarding your "need" for the cane (even though it's nobody's business).

To date, I've had no need to produce evidence of disability on boarding a plane with my Canemasters Professor cane.
Old March 18, 2002, 08:15 PM   #5
Nevada Fitch

I own one of the Canemaster combat canes also. I don't fly much so I have never had the opportunity to carry it on a plane but It sounds like it is still allowed.
Old March 21, 2002, 02:47 PM   #6
Rickmeister

I have had no problem taking canes aboard a plane.

Once, however, after one had hung on our Christmas tree for a while, it developed a crack. When the flight attendant saw the jagged edge protruding from my mouth, she summoned the other crew members; mainly, to help beat off the crowd of paranoid passengers who by then had tackled me to the floor in a heap of wrangling flesh, five bodies deep.

Old March 21, 2002, 02:57 PM   #7
Erich

If the Rickmeister is expressing sarcasm about the usefulness of a cane as a defense tool onboard a plane, he's got a point. You can't do most of the Hapkido stuff there, no room. OTOH, it is a yard of hickory to keep between you and the towelhead, and it pokes pretty effectively.

I just have the thing because I need a cane, and it might as well be a one that will be more useful when I'm (G-d forbid I should ever have to use it to defend myself) in a place where I don't have a higher tech defense tool.
Old March 21, 2002, 08:48 PM   #8
Nevada Fitch

I don't need a cane, but if I am walking a lot or standing around a lot it does kinda give you something to lean on from time to time and I believe I would rather have it than a knife if I got into a tight spot. Of course a gun would still be my first choice if things got really serious, but it is difficult to have one with you a lot of the time.

I do like the idea that at least with the cane you can have a weapon with you most places without fear of running into problems with the local law enforcement, unless of course you actually wind up using it.
Old March 25, 2002, 10:02 AM   #9
Erich

I agree, NF. And there's so much one can do with a cane.
Old March 26, 2002, 05:07 PM   #10
Lavan

They would NOT let me take my cane.

I don't know if it was the scope or the recoil pad that they objected to. Possibly the bolt handle sticking out could have hung up on something. But they said NO.
Old March 28, 2002, 01:39 AM   #11
JSalcedo

Back in my youth I saw a cane (kit) where
a normal looking cane was actually a 50cal
percussion muzzleloader.

I always thought this would be an ideal weapon
because the bad guy would think you were disabled
and somewhat of an easy target. Imagine an assailants surprise when a 500 grain lead ball
blasts into his belly at point blank.

Hmm....quad 50 walker

J. Salcedo