The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old February 26, 2002, 11:07 AM   #26
Quartus

No argument from here, Mike. But one point to add.

YOU carry a badge. YOU have carte blanche (in the minds of most DAs and jurors) to carry WEAPONS.

I do NOT carry a badge. In the minds of far too many, I do NOT have the right to carry a weapon.

So, for me to carry a tactical knife puts me in a bad light in the minds (?) of many who might sit on a jury. (Grand jury or otherwise.)

OTOH, if I use a UTILITY knife to defend myself, I think it's harder for a DA to paint me as having been looking for trouble.

YMMV.

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old February 26, 2002, 09:05 PM   #27
kikilee

The bottom line in all of this is: Never, ever bring a knife to a gun fight!

Protect yourself from a safe distance. Let the only blood spilled be that of the badguy.

"lets roll"
Old February 27, 2002, 04:27 PM   #28
ThePatriot29

I carry a S&W Swat knife everyday (except when I'm going into federal buildings). While it may look tactical, it has a huge number of practical applications everyday. It really is a tool. The one hand open is very practical. Has there ever been a court case where the look of a knife has been taken into account? I don't intend to get into a knife fight ever, nor do I want to, but I would rather have something that nothing. My mindset is the first rule of gunfighting is have a gun, thus the same thing applies to knives. And if I ever have to draw it in a combat situation, I'd think that just like firearms, a determined citizen who pulls a knife can diffuse trouble without getting into a fight. I hope to God that this never happens, but living near DC, don't want to naively ignore the fact that it may happen. Anyone care to comment? FYI, I'm not old enough to get a VA carry license yet, so the only "weapon" I can carry would be a knife.