The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 20, 2011, 09:14 PM   #1
ZVP

Moisture, BP and Synthetics

I wonder which is most resistant to moistire and which attracts the most moisture?
Anybody know? Maybe a properly sealed chamber is the same reguardless of the powder?
Just curious.
ZVP
Old April 21, 2011, 09:35 AM   #2
Noz

"Maybe a properly sealed chamber is the same reguardless of the powder?"

What you said!

I submerged a 12 ga shotgun shell loaded with black powder and a plastic wad holding 1oz of shot in a can of water for (IIRC) 16 days. I took it out, wiped it off and fired it. No problem.
Old April 21, 2011, 02:54 PM   #3
Rachen

When I load percussion cylinders for my 1858, I place KY Jelly over each round and create an even, smooth cake of gel over the bullet with a cotton swab. Then after the cap is seated, I use KY or beeswax and seal the area around the cap and cone. I have carried these cylinders in drenching rainstorms and they fired with no problem at all. Loads were either with Pyrodex or my own homemade sulfurless black powder in FFFg equivalent.

I don't just load up a cylinder and shoot. When I load percussion cylinders, it is almost like an obsession. A very, very small amount of fine granulation black powder is loaded first into the chamber before the main charge to facilitate ignition and make sure the charge column burns evenly once fired. I only use a loading press on a level tabletop, and each 200 grain conical is treated to a light bit of file and knife to remove any burrs or imperfections, then it is seated into the chamber over the powder. Each chamber is meticulously sealed. Then the cone is charged with a nipple charger, cap seated, and also sealed and waterproofed. Only then, is the cylinder properly prepped for firing. Thats why I always carry at least 3 spare cylinders in percussion mode when out in the field

Then I discovered those newflangled metal cartridges, but I still prefer the old trusty cap and ball for big game harvesting