The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old October 29, 2000, 02:57 PM   #26
nbk2000

This scenario is an almost total "no-win" situation.

Consider:

1. It's an actor in a scene you're not aware of. Highly unlikely, but hey, it's RatWorld where anything can happen, right?

You plug him, thinking he's a nut. Guess what RatWorld PR will turn you into, a gun toting nut. Now you've given more fuel for the gun banning fire.

2. It's a nut, but you miss. Oopppsss! Incoming fire is a b****! Now you're either dead, wounded, or in the middle of a firefight in a panicked crowd of kids and tourists.

Again, RatWorld PR (and the networks they own) will turn it into "Shootout at the OK Amusement Park" with you as the only surviving (maybe) loon to prosecute.

3. You hit the nut. Good job. But now Ratworld PR....you get the point. Plus his family might sue you and you could go to prison where you'll have to deal with nuts like him on a daily basis.

4. You and your family do a quick 180 and slowly (so as not to draw attention) walk away. If nut opens fire you'll have a head start on the panicked sheeple, if he doesn't (it's been known to happen) and RatWorld PD takes him away or puts him down, you haven't escalated the situation or exposed yourself.

1,2, and 3 are losers for you, 4 is the only winner.

Now if you placed this scenario in israel, then within a second or so there'd be 50 guns pointed at nut job and that would be the end of that.

If sheeple choose to go unarmed and are faced with an armed loony, then they shouldn't expect an armed citizen to take the risk and responsibilty they weren't willing to assume themselves to try and save them.
Old October 29, 2000, 10:10 PM   #27
Charmedlyfe

I agree with exfiltration. If I'm behind him, all the better. If he's a looney, he's got targets to the front. If I thought I'd have to shoot, I'd wait till he capped sheep. Then, he's so clearly a threat that not even liberals could gainsay the incident. Yeah, it ain't the bright, shiny way, but it is the most survivable, physically and financially.
Old October 29, 2000, 10:42 PM   #28
EnochGale

Mr. Donath is a rational man. Your goal is the most important decision. You want to save your family and yourself. Heroism for others puts your family at risk. That's unacceptable.

If you know the tactical literature, you are aware of the case of an LEO who left his little girl to engage several bad guys at the mall. In the course of the fight, one the bad guys shot his child to distract him.

Have you considered that in this attack, the madman isn't that mad and maybe not alone? Perhaps he wants to cause a rush to a choke point for his accomplices.

Also, those of you who want to approach him have little tactical conceptualizations. Distance is your friend. If your approach goes wrong, you are toast.

For those who kneel, you are subject to a trampling mob who is in a fluid state. Bad move. In an excited state, kneeling might be
a fumble.

If you need to take him down, best go for body shots repeatedly. However, if you can get your family safe without engaging - that is your goal.

Gun lists are subject to too much reflexive commandoism. Take Mr. Donath to heart. Easy to be a dead eye shoot when you are typing.
Old October 31, 2000, 11:47 AM   #29
Jeff Thomas

Interesting discussion ... for those who think you'll be able to simply walk away, I would encourage you to visit Disneyland / Disney World again. On a slow day, perhaps you could escape. But, generally, when I've been there ... and, adding the panic element of a guy waving a gun around ... I really don't think you'll be able to move much, if at all.

My point? I think escaping this guy is a nice sounding option, and probably totally impractical.

We'll have to agree to disagree.

Regards from AZ