The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 4, 2018, 02:27 PM   #1
wahsben

Rhode Island Legislation

If you're in or near Rhode Island on this Tuesday March 6th and if you can attend please do:

Legislative Call To Action.

Please read the following message that I am reposting.
It was written and posted by one of our State Representatives who has ALWAYS been a staunch supporter of the Second Amendment Community, as well as a member.
Please read, forward to your friends, and come together.

Folks, I'm going to repeat it, because it needs to be repeated - We ALL need to make the time to be at the state house on Tuesday March 6th.

We need people who can get there early (2-3 pm) and can start signing the sign-in sheets and occupying the front rows of the committee rooms.

We need everyone to be calm, cool and collected. There HAS been talk among the other side that they "wouldn't mind an altercation" to make us look bad - PLEASE don't take their bait.

Present yourself respectfully in all interactions - even when having side-conversations with brothers and sisters. The other side is everywhere, and they will overhear everything, and if it "scares" them or "triggers" them, they'll make a scene. Let's all remain above the fray on that stuff.

MOST IMPORTANTLY - I've been speaking to my democrat colleagues who support the 2nd Amendment and they have expressed sentiments to me that will help us better make our points.

When I lobbied for the 2ndA in the 90's I came to know several of the legislators who are still serving today. I've spoken to many of them these past weeks and they've told me that "the debate has changed over the years." It has. Here's what I took away from the conversations;

First - the other side is basically frantic, hysterical, emotional and completely devoid of any logic, truth, or accuracy. WE ALL KNOW THAT - and don't think for a minute that the other legislators don't notice it too. You don't have to point out their craziness - it's clear to EVERYONE. Don't waste your valuable time on addressing their claims - stick to the issues.

THIS IS WHAT THEY DON'T WANT TO HEAR:
"I'm Mike Browne from Foster, and all of these bills are nothing but a way to take my guns away. The 2nd Amendment gives me the right to keep and bear arms - what part of 'shall not be infringed' don't they understand? When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. You swore an oath to the constitution - DON'T violate it. FROM MY COLD-DEAD HANDS!!!!"

THIS IS WHAT WILL WORK:
"I'm Mike Browne from Foster, and I am strongly opposed to all of these bills. In particular I'd like to speak about Bill ####. This bill is fails to protect the ability to XYZ to defend themselves if needed by forcing people to do ABC. This approach was tried in California and according to the Washington Post (always avoid citing source that are OUR sources, like NRA, GOA etc., or worse - "Alt-Right" sources like Breitbart, Dailywire etc.) it only impacted people who were following the laws, but criminal activity never went down. Please do not support these bills before you, we need to develop real solutions to these real problems.
Thank you."

DO NOT repeat things that others have said.
DO NOT interrupt a legislator when they are talking - you'll bruise their delicate ego, so let them say their thing, and then respond accordingly.
DO NOT quote bumper stickers, memes, or gun-club expressions
DO NOT talk about the "Rule of Law", stick to the details of the bills

ALWAYS BE:
Polite
Respectful
Clear Spoken
Sincere
Right to the Point
Calm

Most of all - Be THERE when we need you.

Legislative Alert
Call to Action

The Rhode Island Senate has scheduled their firearms related hearings for Tuesday at the rise of the Senate.
Enclosed is a list of the bills being heard.
This could very well be our last time to be heard, and it’s imperative that all Firearms owners do whatever possible to get to the State House.
3-6-18 Rhode Island State House.
Senate Side.
The rise is usually around 5 o’clock, but if you can get there early, get there early. If you can’t get there until after work, get there after work We need to Jam the State House with as many pro gun people as possible.
We all need you there.

RI Bill Tracker Update Alert
Your requested Bill Alerts

1)
Senate Bill No. 2134

Chapter

BY Archambault,Lynch Prata,McCaffrey,Lombardi,Lombardo

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO STATE AFFAIRS AND GOVERNMENT -- DEPARTMENT OF ATTORNEY GENERAL -- GUN CRIMES REPORT (Directs the attorney general to report annually to the general assembly on the incidence and disposition of crimes involving guns.)
03/02/2018 Scheduled for hearing and/or consideration (03/06/2018)

2)
Senate Bill No. 2139

Chapter

BY Archambault,Lynch Prata,Lombardi,Lombardo

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Authorizes the attorney general to enter into agreements with other states and counties from other states to recognize and give reciprocity to concealed weapon permit holders allowing them to carry concealed weapons in this state.)

3)
Senate Bill No. 2143

Chapter

BY Archambault,Lombardi,Lombardo

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Makes numerous changes to the procedures regarding the issuance of concealed carry permits, the fees associated with their issuance, and the public records accessible by the public in relating thereto.)

4)
Senate Bill No. 2144

Chapter

BY Archambault,Lombardi,Lombardo

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Defines a firearm silencer and permits the use of such a device on any firearm with an overall length of seventeen inches or greater and permits the use of such a device for lawful hunting activity.)

5)
Senate Bill No. 2148

Chapter

BY Ciccone,Lombardi

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Allows those persons with concealed carry permits issued by other states to carry upon their person weapons in Rhode Island provided that the issuing state recognizes and gives reciprocity to RI permit holders.)

6)
Senate Bill No. 2271

Chapter

BY Sheehan,Cote,Calkin,Metts,Quezada

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Makes possession or use of a semi-automatic weapon rapid fire device to include bump stock, binary trigger or trigger crank punishable by up to ten (10) years imprisonment and/or a ten thousand dollars ($10,000) fine.)

7)
Senate Bill No. 2274

Chapter

BY Miller,Goodwin,Metts,Calkin,Euer

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Makes it unlawful for any person to carry a rifle or shotgun in any vehicle or conveyance or on or about their person whether visible or concealed subject to certain exceptions.)

8)
Senate Bill No. 2276

Chapter

BY Metts,Coyne

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Criminalizes possession of a firearm by a minor, except when the minor is engaged in certain activities and when accompanied by a parent, guardian, or qualified adult.)

9)
Senate Bill No. 2289

Chapter

BY Metts,Goldin,Quezada,Crowley,Calkin

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Provides that only peace officers and persons approved by the school authorities for the purposes of educational instruction may carry firearms or other weapons on school grounds.)

10)
Senate Bill No. 2292

Chapter

BY Seveney,Coyne,DiPalma,Pearson,Conley

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Makes possession or use of a semi-automatic weapon rapid fire device to include bump stock, binary trigger or trigger crank punishable by up to ten (10) years imprisonment and/or a ten thousand dollars ($10,000) fine.)

11)
Senate Bill No. 2319

Chapter

BY Goldin,Coyne,Euer,Miller,Goodwin

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Criminalizes the manufacture, import, possession, purchase, sale or transfer of any ammunition feeding device capable of accepting more than ten (10) rounds known as high capacity magazines.)

12)
Senate Bill No. 2455

Chapter

BY Coyne,Seveney,Conley,DiPalma,Euer

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Limits the issuance of pistol and revolver carry permits to the office of the attorney general.)

13)
Senate Bill No. 2456

Chapter

BY Goldin,Calkin,Coyne,Miller,

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES - WEAPONS (Provides that applicants for gun permits submit to national records check including fingerprinting by FBI.)

14)
Senate Bill No. 2493

Chapter

BY Miller,Goodwin,Lynch Prata,Coyne,Conley

ENTITLED, AN ACT RELATING TO CRIMINAL OFFENSES -- WEAPONS (Restricts possession and sale of new assault weapons. Limits magazine capacity to 10 rounds or less. Grandfathers current possession/ownership.)
Old March 5, 2018, 12:18 PM   #2
DaleA

Good luck.
Here in MN a few years back we had one of the anti-gun folk speak on 'our' side and run off the rails into the 'cold dead hands' area and even got a touch racist at the end.

It was so blatant everyone recognized what the guy was doing and the chairman of the committee that was hearing the comments even spoke up about it. The other anti-gun folk didn't try to take advantage of it and the pro-gun folk ignored it so there is hope that a goodly portion of folk will act like adults in the debate. (I've had my doubts several times but I guess I should have more faith.)