The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 2, 2018, 05:05 PM   #1
Kleinzeit

AWB of 2017 vs. AWB of 2018

There are currently two bills proposing to ban "assault weapons," the second proposed last Monday (Feb. 26, 2018).

I've been reading through them and trying to work out what the difference is. Does anyone have any insight into this? I admit to not having much understanding about these processes, but it isn't clear to me why two bills are up.

~Graeme
Old March 2, 2018, 06:16 PM   #2
In The Ten Ring

"Why are two bills up?"

Wishful thinking and drumming up mid-term support and donations.

What scares me is Trump (and the NRA's ATF ban on "anything that spends up shooting"). That would include a trigger job and that is very worrisome.

I don't think the ATF can do it though or Obama's ATF would have.
Old March 3, 2018, 05:03 PM   #3
HughScot

2018 Assault Weapons Ban HR5087

Here is a link to the 2018 Bill to ban Assault Weapons.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-...bill/5087/text

I should add that they have included semi-automatic pistols. The bill looks horrible at this point from several standpoints.
Old March 3, 2018, 06:16 PM   #4
RETG

Bet it won't make it out of committee.
Old March 3, 2018, 06:27 PM   #5
RETG

I don't know for sure; however, I would bet there are certain people in the US congress that re-submit the identical or slightly modified AWB bill every session. Knowing they will never pass, but allows them to tell their constituents they did their job toward gun control.
Old March 3, 2018, 06:52 PM   #6
Kleinzeit

Thanks. Yeah, I figured it was mostly self-promotion.
Old March 3, 2018, 07:59 PM   #7
Tom Servo
Staff

A few words may have been tweaked here and there, but it's the same bill. It's been the same since the 2010 session, and as far back as 1994, Feinstein was pushing functionally identical bills.
Old March 3, 2018, 08:04 PM   #8
Tom Servo
Staff

It is horrible. Notice that the number of features constituting an "assault weapon" has been lowered. If it passed, replacing a stock or barrel could be enough to snare an otherwise law-abiding person into a felony charge.

And that's the real point of this. Just as with the last AWB, we'll see very few actual criminals being prosecuted for violations. Instead, they'll go after the guy who put a barrel with a bayonet lug on a receiver with a collapsible stock.

The ultimate goal is to inflict a chilling effect on gun ownership in general.

Also notice that if you DO have a grandfathered "assault weapon," it appears illegal to ever transfer it to anyone else.

Do not assume this will die in committee. The President has voiced support for it, and given the tidal wave of emotional manipulation, anything is possible.
Old March 3, 2018, 08:04 PM   #9
Kleinzeit

The main differences I've been able to ascertain beyween the '94 AWB and the new ones are:

They've removed flash suppressor and bayonet lug from the list of restricted features; added threaded barrel, forward grip, and barrel shroud.

Whereas the previous AWB allowed ONE restricted feature in combination with a detachable magazine, the new ones allow NONE.
Old March 3, 2018, 08:04 PM   #10
octalman

Look at the list of banned firearms. Clearly going after modern semi-automatic everything. If this is not proof of the radical left working to do away with the 2nd amendment, don't know how it could be any more clear. The ultimate goal is to disarm the population.

First the elites will take away all semi-auto firearms. After all, what sane person needs to own a gun that can fire multiple bullets in rapid succession. Next it will be revolvers and bolt action rifles that a sane person has no need to own. Who could possibly need more than a manually loaded single shot firearm for hunting or target shooting. Oh, and also along the way ammunition will be highly taxed and quantities limited.

If muskets were good enough in 1776, why do we need anything better today?
Old March 3, 2018, 08:05 PM   #11
Kleinzeit

Also, there's a ban on bump stocks and other such devices.
Old March 3, 2018, 08:21 PM   #12
berettaprofessor

Exempting Garands (that should bring their prices up!) and Mini-14's again. And almost all the autoloading rimfires....except the "bad" rifle ones like the S&W15-22. It isn't exempted.
Old March 3, 2018, 09:11 PM   #13
RETG

President can say what ever he wants, but people on the judicial committee are most likely thinking the same about trump that I am. And it isn't pretty.
Besides I don't believe even Ryan would bring it to the floor for a vote.

Now if it resembled the old AWB I could see dump signing it.

If they bring a bill for under 21, I would say yes, it has a chance. But not this one.

But what the he'll do I know!
Old March 3, 2018, 10:00 PM   #14
rwilson452

Assuming this bill makes passed the house. I'll take odds on that not happening. I'll also take odds it can't get 60 votes in the senate. Trump will never see it.
Old March 3, 2018, 10:29 PM   #15
5whiskey

Quote:
Do not assume
Do not assume anything. Write your congress folk and donate to the nra-ila. I was not concerned after even las Vegas. I am concerned now. I don't actually think we will get an AWB that looks like this. But I see us possibly losing things that are important. I could see a mag cap ban. Even rubio said he could support it.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 3, 2018, 10:39 PM   #16
rwilson452

Quote:
Do not assume anything. Write your congress folk and donate to the nra-ila. I was not concerned after even las Vegas. I am concerned now. I don't actually think we will get an AWB that looks like this. But I see us possibly losing things that are important. I could see a mag cap ban. Even rubio said he could support it.
I don't.
Old March 3, 2018, 10:41 PM   #17
Evan Thomas

I've merged two threads, so we can keep discussion of this in a single place.
Old March 6, 2018, 05:40 PM   #18
Norcal707

Stop h.r.5087! Sign the petition!

Sign the White House Petition to stop the effort to create a new assault weapons ban! Make your voice heard!

Please spread the word about the Petition to other 2A-Friendly Forums and your fellow Patriots/Friends!

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...7-stop-gun-ban

Last edited by Norcal707; March 6, 2018 at 05:48 PM.
Old March 6, 2018, 05:54 PM   #19
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I really question how effective those petitions are. I doubt they mean much at all.

IMHO, it's far more effective to take five minutes to contact the President directly.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/
Old March 7, 2018, 03:46 PM   #20
ofitg

In spite of some notable mass shootings over the past 20 years, scientific surveys show that military-pattern semiautomatics have a higher public approval rating than Congress and the Mainstream Media COMBINED.

http://news.gallup.com/poll/196658/s...ecord-low.aspx

http://news.gallup.com/poll/223598/2...mains-low.aspx

http://news.gallup.com/poll/195542/a...s-new-low.aspx

I strongly suspect that politicians are aware of these Gallup findings - if they enact another AW Ban, it would be purposeful disregard for public opinion.... and then the job of the Mainstream Media will be to "buffalo" us with the notion that public sentiment made the ban inevitable.
Old March 31, 2018, 02:48 PM   #21
Madmark

I call BS

The link on this thread has only 15621 signatures as of 2:40 3/31/18. https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...omatic-weaponsis another, which I suspect is hacked. The signatures have bounced from 700 to 15000, is currently at 1948, but will flash a different number if you refresh the page. I call BS. The signatures appear to be digitally manipulated, and given my past experiences, I’d say most are not recorded...

Last edited by Madmark; March 31, 2018 at 02:52 PM. Reason: Bad hyperlink.
Old March 31, 2018, 03:18 PM   #22
Rob228

This is why the next assault weapon ban will pass:
https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...94#post6595894
Old March 31, 2018, 03:43 PM   #23
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Just last night I was chatting with a Jeeper friend. He's a U.S. Army veteran, but I was in Vietnam and this guy is 30 years younger than I am (his father was in Vietnam at the same time I was -- late 60s). Both my friend and his father are shooters, so I was surprised and disappointed to hear him say that he's in favor of banning AR-15s, he's in favor of universal background checks, he's in favor of mandatory training before you can get a carry permit. And yet the same guy complains because he wants to get a carry permit, but our state requires training and he doesn't have the time to take the class (nor does he want to spend the money for the class and the permit).

I really don't think he has put the two things together in his mind.

I also pointed out that, functionally, the AR-15 is no different than his Ruger 10/22. Naturally, he immediately brought in the rimfire/centerfire distinction and the velocity of the projectile, so I countered with the Mini 14. That slowed him down, but he still thinks AR-15s should be banned.

We touched on the 2nd Amendment, and he's one of those who thinks the 2nd Amendment is about muzzleloaders. They didn't have AR-15s back then, so it doesn't apply to them. I guess in the 30 years between when I went to high school and when he went, that's when teaching the Constitution was removed from the curriculum.
Old March 31, 2018, 05:00 PM   #24
Spats McGee
Staff

As long as we're posting links to sites for making our voices heard, . . . I go to www.popvox.com, which will let you browse bills and directly email your legislators. Let me add that, if memory serves, I've used popvox and gotten responses from my legislators. Memory may not serve, to take that for what it's worth.
Old March 31, 2018, 05:37 PM   #25
Sharkbite

Section 2 (D) (V) will outlaw every Glock in existance. They are all copies of the Glock 18.

Hmm lets see.... there have been full auto 1911’s, Browning high powers, Berettas, the list goes on.

Tags
assault weapons ban , awb