The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 25, 2012, 12:30 PM   #1
'88Scrat

Optics Suggestions for M1A EBR

Hey guys I was hoping to pick your brains a bit. I recently dropped my M1A Scout into a Sage EBR chassis and am now searching for the perfect glass to go with her.

I was originally thinking something along the lines of 3x39 or 4x32; I looked at a Trijicon ACOG but I can't justify buying a scope that cost almost as much as the gun. I also thought about an EeoTech of some sort but that seems a little short ranged for a rifle chambered in .308/7.62x51.

On a secondary note I have a Specter 3 point sling with HK style hooks that works great with the iron sights but might be a little in the way of an optic. I am thinking a rail mounted sling hook could solve the problem but am open to other ideas.

Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
big al hunter

One of the long eye relief pistol scopes with a low range variable would mount anywhere you like on the rail. That would avoid the sling issue.
Old August 25, 2012, 10:52 PM   #3
Creeper

I like BAH's idea... and just for the sake of moving in a slightly different direction, you could fit a holo sight with a Vortex VMX3 magnifier with QD swing mount. Or a Meprolight MX3... if you're rolling in dough.

C
Old August 26, 2012, 09:35 AM   #4
'88Scrat

Quote:
Originally posted by Creeper:
you could fit a holo sight with a Vortex VMX3 magnifier with QD swing mount
So I actually really like that idea. Anyone know someone running a similar setup?

And as far as a Trijicon ACOG (several of you sent me PMs), I really like the X3-40mm but again the price just so...

That said is it worth it? Can someone tell me what sets it apart from just a good ol' fashioned rifle scope?
Old August 26, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
So I actually really like that idea. Anyone know someone running a similar setup?
I ran a Meprolight MX3 (it was a 50th birthday gift... not my $$$) behind a Meprolight 21 holo sight on a FN FAL with good results.
To be honest, that sort of optics package on a relatively heavy .308 battle rifle is kinda illogical... but I had a lot of fun with it.

C
Old August 27, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
CommonSense

Scratter, Look at the VXR Patrols by Lupold!They are way less than half the price of an ACOG but are a badass rugged quality optic. I have been eyeing the M1A and also wanna build an EBR... eventually. That being said, I read a very informative review about the vxr patrol in 3-9 x 40 and it sounds like the thing peerforms like an ACOG at 3x because the patrols also have a illuminated reticle...a dot if you will, and the guy using it in the review had it on a 700 in 5.56 and put it thru the ringer. He did shoot houses, light failure training ( took 1 shot at man sized target with weapon in hand every 5 min, until no longer could I.D. weapon) etc. Anywho it sounds exactly like something you might be interested in. You would likely have to get the rail mounted sling hook though. Not speaking from experience here, just saying you may wanna look into it .