The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old October 19, 2018, 11:18 PM   #26
Colorado Redneck

Well done Brian! Aren't Barnes bullets amazing? Really happy for you, and know you'll enjoy your elk all winter, and the memory for the rest of your life.
Old October 19, 2018, 11:27 PM   #27
Sevens

This was an excellent read! As this is something I'll likely never do, I find myself enjoying these stories more and more, and even better when I feel like it's someone I've known for a while now. What a rush!
Old October 20, 2018, 10:08 AM   #28
std7mag

Dang You Peeza!!!-

Congratulations on a successful hunt!

I was reading your post while having my morning coffee. Lamenting being here in Taxylvannia, when i could be out west hunting with you.
So i go in the bathroom, and proceed to spray the heck outta my armpit with air freshener instead of my deodorant... Lol

If the 7mm-08 proved too much, perhaps i can send out my 250 Savage for you next year.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old October 20, 2018, 10:15 AM   #29
6.5swedeforelk

Congrats on turning a dismal start
into a succussful hunt, Brian.

Either bullet recovered, or both pass-thru's?

You may need to down size to my caliber...
Old October 20, 2018, 12:10 PM   #30
GeauxTide

Hearty Congrats! Time has also passed me by for the rigors of Elk hunting/packing. I had a .338-06 built for it, but never could swing a hunt.
Old October 20, 2018, 03:35 PM   #31
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5swedeforelk
Congrats on turning a dismal start
into a succussful hunt, Brian.

Either bullet recovered, or both pass-thru's?

You may need to down size to my caliber...
Given the time constraints, and that my dad is more interested in "getting the job done" than investigating, I didn't get a chance to look. I really wanted pictures of entrance and exit wounds and the like...

Oddly, what I did see suggested that I missed entirely and simply scared him to death.

As is evident in the pics, there is no discernible blood on the impact side which I suppose is not terribly unusual, since he dropped immediately and rolled away from that side.
I also found no bloodshot meat *at all*.... but, when we finished with the impact side and I grabbed his opposite front leg to roll him over, the sounds and movement made it quite clear that that shoulder was badly broken.
I found no apparent entrance wound, no apparent exit wound and no blood-shot meat.
I did not even open the chest cavity to see what happened in there, but the skin was removed all around.

All I can say with reasonable confidence is that the first shot exited, given the amount and location of the blood in the snow under him. It couldn't have come from the second shot and there was no blood coming from the "up" side.

As much as that dark spot looks like it could be a bullet hole, it's much higher than I was aiming and I poked at it and detected no hole or blood.

The aim point would have been right behind the shoulder about where the lower of those two dark lines are visible....

You know what else I thought was weird... my dad removed the guts to get better access to the tender loins and this things stomach was ENORMOUS. I mean, it bulged out as soon as we penetrated the membrane and when it came out I would say it was 3 ft around, totally spherical... I should have taken a picture. I've never seen anything like it.
Old October 21, 2018, 09:57 AM   #32
big al hunter

Quote:
Oddly, what I did see suggested that I missed entirely and simply scared him to death.
Apparently, and very possible, especially considering the feable and inadequate cartridge you used.

But on the serious side ...if I were a betting man I would lay my whole paycheck on the following.

Based on what you said about the reaction of the elk and conditions during field dressing I would say the first shot missed the ribs went through both lungs and broke the shoulder on the far side. Elk don't usually go down on the shot without a broken bone. The second shot probably hit the spine with similar penetration to the first shot. Neither shot exited the elk. The second shot was probably not needed, but don't stop shooting til they stop moving.
Old October 21, 2018, 03:14 PM   #33
6.5swedeforelk

The snot colored snow clearly shows the
muzzle position of the dropped elk.

Not a drop of sprayed blood at the nose,
this refutes the lung shot.

A standing elk dropping from a single shoulder hit?

I think that B P scored a direct heart shot
on a RELAXED elk... thus the immediate drop
and not the usual 100 yard dash.

Also heart shot elk often rear up & paw the air,
believe Brian said front feet were kicking.

A censure to BP for not having exhibit A & B
of tagged projectiles, just because of a little
darkness & snow & a few feet above prairie
and not even a mention of grizzlys
Old October 21, 2018, 04:36 PM   #34
big al hunter

I have dressed out a couple of elk that were double lung with no blood in or on the nose or mouth. Not every shot causes the same conditions. Especially if they don't run. I have seen deer that were hit kicking after falling that had no bullet holes in their hearts. It is a natural instinct to run, even when they are laying there dying unable to get up.
Old October 21, 2018, 08:53 PM   #35
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

6.5s theory is plausible. The aim point and angle would have reasonably resulted in a heart shot.... possibly lung-heart-lung-shoulder. Would be reasonable to postulate that weight was on opposite shoulder, which broke so animal collapsed.

Agree with Big Al also. Too many variables to be conclusive in one instance.

Hitting at least one lung seems almost guaranteed given the aim point and angle.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; October 21, 2018 at 09:00 PM.