The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old July 23, 2018, 01:33 PM   #1
'88Scrat

1903A3 Front Sight Hood

Just a quick question, is a 1903A3 Springfield supposed to have a front sight hood? I've had a surprisingly hard time finding a definitive answer on this looking online.

Some sources say yes, some say no, some say the USMC variants only, and some claim its temporary meant to be removed after transport.

Help?
Old July 23, 2018, 04:24 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Quote:
its temporary meant to be removed after transport
My understanding.
No doubt target shooters used them to simulate a globe front sight, but I think the military took the hood off for combat.
Old July 23, 2018, 08:16 PM   #3
sgms

From what I know the USMC used both sight protectors and sights hoods. The sight hood was used for target shooting only and the hood had a much larger ring allowing for a good sight picture while the sight protector was just large enough to protect the sight blade. Looked through the WW1 & 2 pictures I have ( a rather small sample) and of those that front sights can be seen clearly some of the rifles in combat still have the protectors on most don't, while the parade and drill photos show all of the rifles having them attached.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fullsizeoutput_4a71.jpeg (19.4 KB, 157 views)

Last edited by sgms; July 23, 2018 at 08:22 PM. Reason: added photo
Old July 23, 2018, 10:58 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Fascinating. I've seen a lot of sight protectors but not the hood. The Marines always did it their way. The Marine 1903 sights had a single aperture drift slide and a taller, wider, undercut front blade. Better sight picture in peep mode and the taller blade brought the battle sight down to a more realistic 300 yards.
Old July 23, 2018, 11:34 PM   #5
tangolima

Can the sight protector be taken off easily? Putting it on seems easier than taking it off. But it does look a certain way to damage the bluing around the front size regardless.

-TL

p.s. just looked it up online. It is actually quite easy. I may try it on my rifle.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Last edited by tangolima; July 23, 2018 at 11:43 PM.
Old July 24, 2018, 08:21 PM   #6
leadhead2

It will scratch the hell out of your sight ring.
Denny
Old September 17, 2018, 06:30 PM   #7
firewrench044

The marine sight hood is smaller, giving a better sight picture
Hard to find , but worth it
Old September 17, 2018, 06:34 PM   #8
tangolima

I think it is the other way around. The Marines has bigger globe. It is rare and expensive.

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old September 22, 2018, 05:19 PM   #9
gwpercle

I bought a little used 1903-A3 from a Military Surplus store in the 1960's , it may not have even been issued. The front sight hood was on it , I've shot it with and without the hood in place and along with the peep rear sight I prefer the hooded front sight.
The rifle has been sporterized and a Weaver K-4 scope mounted....but the hood is still on the front sight.
Gary
Old October 15, 2018, 07:30 PM   #10
Randy A

The Marine front sight hood is larger and made of heavier (hardened) steel. Unlike the standard hood it is not meant to be removed, when you install one or try to remove it you'll see why and they will scratch the heck out of the front sight base. Being larger and taller the tip of the front sight stays generally centered, regardless of the A thru E blades. There are pics out there for comparison (I don't feel like going through the post-a-pic process right now). Anyhow, these are not to be confused with the Marine #10 sights earlier mentioned, they did not use very many of those for very long. They only had an advantage under certain conditions and they realized it wasn't worth the hassle, eventually going back to the standard sights later on. The USMC hood was much more widely used than the #10 sights and was not exclusively a #10 sight accessory.
BTW as of the last couple years if you find original ones for less that $75/$80, it's a good deal
I got one years ago and it made such a difference I bought them for every 03/A3 I have, they're nice.

Last edited by Randy A; October 15, 2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old February 21, 2019, 08:11 PM   #11
moose fat

I realize this is an old post, but, I was looking for a front sight hood for my 03A3 and I got two. They are the protective ones that were usually pitched/thrown away. I found a gentleman that makes the Marine sized hood. I don't know if he still makes them.
Bill Bentz. [email protected] is his e mail address.
Old February 22, 2019, 04:56 PM   #12
gwpercle

Since this has popped up ... the 1903-A3 I bought in 1967 came with a little sheet metal hood that snaps on....nothing milled or fancy but it is as the government issued them.
Mine got sporterized but still has the factory barrel and the little hood in place , after 50 years .
Gun Parts Corporation used to have buckets of them...check with them if you want one,
Gary
Old March 6, 2019, 10:22 AM   #13
F. Guffey

I have sight hoods for the 03, at one time I had 3 and then I gave one to a reloader, shooter, vet in North Carolina. I also sent him a box of home made 30/06 head space gages.

F. Guffey
Old March 6, 2019, 10:35 AM   #14
hammered54

I have sight hoods for the 03, at one time I had 3 and then I gave one to a reloader, shooter, vet in North Carolina. I also sent him a box of home made 30/06 head space gages.

F. Guffey

you don't check your p.m's ?
Old April 7, 2019, 10:39 AM   #15
R.FORTE

You can always check with Gun Parts great reference and these parts on hand
Old May 2, 2019, 05:59 PM   #16
Chris_B

you can take a sight cover and stretch hell out of it with a pair of needle nose pliers placed inside and muscled open. If you want to put in the effort. Reduces the scratching.

I'm not a 1930s or 1940s marine, and I fail to see how a folded and stamped, non-precision, snap on part will benefit my accuracy.

I can easily see how the sight covers were intended to not impede the shooter if the rifle must be fired while the cover is on, however.