The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 15, 2013, 04:23 PM   #1
TXAZ

Multiple CCW permits

I currently have an AZ CCW permit. I'd like to get a TX CCW for some of the building accesses. Are you aware of any reason you can't have more than 1 CCW PERMIT?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old July 15, 2013, 04:39 PM   #2
Rj1972

I'm not aware of any although lots of states permit only their citizens to obtain permits. However I'm not sure you'd need it since AZ and TX have reciprocity.

(Sorry if I misunderstand the question).
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/RSD/CHL...city/index.htm
Old July 15, 2013, 04:45 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

Isn't your AZ permit reciprocal with Texas?
http://www.azccw.com/az_reciprocity.htm
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 15, 2013, 05:03 PM   #4
Old Stony

Recipocity...I hope I spelled that right...seems to be a problem if you are holding a permit from a state where you are not actually a resident. A lot of people ran out and got Florida permits in the past, but they were not honored in a lot of states unless you could prove residency there.
Old July 15, 2013, 08:59 PM   #5
ClydeFrog

Utah, websites....

Any regular member of TFL may already know the "usual suspects" ;
www.mylegalheat.com www.nra.org www.handgunlaw.us www.gunlawguide.com www.knifelawsonline.com .
Many gun owners get UT non-resident carry licenses/permits because they are valid in more states/locations than Florida: www.Mylicensesite.com .

note: If you get a new license or travel often, check the websites or sources often. State AGs(Atty Generals) & agencies change the agreements & conditions often.
Don't get strung up on some minor glitch if you pack heat.

Happy Trails;
CF
Old July 15, 2013, 09:13 PM   #6
TXAZ

Yes, they are recip. But, the advantage of a Texas permit is I can avoid the metal detector line in various state buildings I frequent. That can be a big deal at events with large crowds and long wait times. The AZ permit doesn't work for that part. And taking the Tx class gets me updated on Tx law, not to mention another chance to poke holes in paper.

Last edited by TXAZ; July 16, 2013 at 07:13 AM.
Old July 16, 2013, 09:17 AM   #7
Cheapshooter

Sorry, I failed to noticed your location was Texas. Why then the AZ non-resident CCW?
Not sure how valid It is, but I have been told by people who should know that having a non-resident CCW when you could have a permit from your state of residence can raise a red flag with law enforcement. "Why can't you get a CCW permit in your own state" seems to be the question that would come up.
That being said, many people do have multiple permits from differant states.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old July 16, 2013, 11:17 AM   #8
Aguila Blanca
Staff

One good reason to have a license/permit from your home state is the federal gun-free school zone. A permit from your state of residence covers you in school zones (not on school property, but that magical 1000-foot demilitarized zone surrounding schools), but a permit from any other state does not.
Old July 16, 2013, 01:39 PM   #9
TXAZ

Thanks for all the feedback. I just looked at the DPS forms for CHL here and there is no mention of holding other CCW /CHLs.
I'm just going to do it.
Thanks.

Old July 16, 2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Young.Gun.612

Not only is it okay to have ccw permits from more than one state (as far as I know) but its highly recommended for the reasons already posted. For instance, my MN permit to carry isn't recognized in Ohio, but if I get off my lazy butt and get the FL permit that I paid extra for training for, I'd be legal to carry when I go visit my friends in the buckeye state.

Also, some states don't have the requirement that as a resident you must have a permit for that state. Then its a good idea for overlapping permits with spaced out expiration dates. When one expires, you're still covered by another until you're able to renew. If your state allows that, anyhow.
Old July 18, 2013, 12:01 PM   #11
biggfoot44

You can certainly have more than one permit, it's not uncommon to have a fistfull. In certain states people have more than one resident permit ( where each one is tied to a specific employment or situation, only valid for that particular usage).

But you seem to have already answered your own question to go ahead and get a resident permit from your state.