The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 20, 2012, 08:57 PM   #1
TheKlawMan

Shot with Weatherby

I did come trap and mainly skeet with .300 Weatherby today and he is getting to be pretty good with that ugly old 682 Gold E. He is also pretty patient and able at pointing out the important little ins and outs of the skeet field.
Old June 20, 2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Drummer101

Quote:
Shot with Weatherby
Sounds painful.
Old June 20, 2012, 09:17 PM   #3
oneounceload

Klawman - when you gonna "man-up" and shoot some 5-stand and sporting clays - once you do, you'll never go back.......
Old June 21, 2012, 12:20 AM   #4
.300 Weatherby Mag

Pleasure shooting with you today KlawMan... You are getting better!!
Old June 21, 2012, 12:56 AM   #5
TheKlawMan

Quote:
Pleasure shooting with you today KlawMan... You are getting better!!
Thanks. When you are at the bottom you have one way to go.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:24 AM   #6
.300 Weatherby Mag

The wind howling wasn't helping...
Old June 21, 2012, 11:09 AM   #7
BigJimP

Ok, Ok.....enough of the "mutual man crush going on here"....we need details on scores...( so we can all get a laugh at your expense this morning ..) ...I'm still on this diet / I need a good distraction...
Old June 21, 2012, 01:36 PM   #8
TheKlawMan

Scores are EZ to remember. Weatherby did quite well and mine were unmentionable. What was interesting, and fun, was the first round. I missed my first shot so I took an option. Hit the high, the low, and got the doubles with one shot. I loved that, but later Weatherby explained that you really don't want to do that and the reasons why. I think it was that I actually should shoot the high house sooner and had I not broken both with one shot I would have been chasing the low house.

What was interesting is we switched guns for one round. While I have gotten to where I no longer see the left side of my barrels with the XS Skeet, I am looking at them with his 682 gold e. Went back to the XS and was releived that the Beretta disease wasn't contagious. As for switching, Weatherby had not problems shooting my Browning with its "stout loads". I did have one box of one ouncers with me and they are plenty for skeet. I may stick with the 1-1/8 for trap for a while.

I hadn't shot with Weatherby for a while and the guy is moving up.

I know about the diet thing. I am on one and am down 10 pound for the first 30 days, but have 20 to go and it $$$%%^^.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 21, 2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old June 21, 2012, 01:41 PM   #9
TheKlawMan

Quote:
The wind howling wasn't helping...
The wind was pretty strong for sure. The way I shoot here and there, kind of at random, it didn't make much of a difference for me. As for howling, the very talkative guys we shot with may have been more of a distraction for you. I liked the old guy that could barely get out of his walker and stand and shoot.
Old June 21, 2012, 01:58 PM   #10
BigJimP

Now I feel bad for picking on you ....( well a little anyway ....) .,,

and since you wouldn't give us a number ( it must have been around a 15 ...ouch buddy ) ...and oh by the way, the shot where you hit both birds of the pair in the air...the 2nd bird you hit doesn't count - you have to shoot that pair again / with the first bird established as dead / make an effort on the first one(high house) ..and kill the 2nd one(low house) - since you were on station 1 ...and its a dead pair. If you miss the low house in the "2nd Proof Pair" then that pair is scored a Hit and a Loss .....and you move on to station 2 ---- down 2 birds....( not a good thing on station 1 )..because for most of us, they get harder at station 2...

but ok, a little "sad chuckle" at your expense...sorry ....

Its rude for guys to talk when someone else is shooting ...I don't like that...

A guy that is using a walker is ok ...as long as he's being safe / its good that he could get out and shoot ....and hopefully someone was there to spot for him - to help him out / so it doesn't bother me as long as the gun is handled safely ( loaded and unloaded when he is on the pad, etc. ). I shoot with a guy that has MS once in a while ....and he's limping really badly now ...has to have a cane - where he can rest his hip on for a little balance../ he won't accept any help ...but some of us spot for him in case his balance fails him ...and its good to see him get out and shoot.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:14 PM   #11
TheKlawMan

Jim. I like the guy with the walker. When I first went to Prado with my 870, he invited me to shoot with him and when I see him I also try to say something nice to the guy, even though I realize it is difficult for him to answer. I think he much have had a stroke and seems to be recovering.

I think I understand what you are saying about hitting a pair with one shot. Ouch. I think Weatherby was showing me some mercy and letting me think I did good but later had to let me know that was a bad thing. Otherwise I would be trying to do that on purpose. How bad I didn't realize until know.

Still, it looked cool.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 21, 2012 at 02:21 PM.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:19 PM   #12
BigJimP

Sure, but its kind of like hitting a golf ball 300 yds ...and out of bounds...you can't just drop it where it rolled out ..../ the rules say ...you lose the stroke and distance....go back where you hit it from ...and hit another one ( and now instead of laying 1...you're laying 3 ...) ....

some guys cheat at golf too ..../ but you're learning....we understand.../ its ok, that he was giving you a break ....just don't be in the clubhouse bragging about your 24 because you hit some singles ( I meant doubles - sorry ) with one shell...and you'll be ok.

Last edited by BigJimP; June 21, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:27 PM   #13
TheKlawMan

I never brag, even on the few occassions that I have something to brag about. Just not me.

The low number of the day was probably around 15. I only paid attention for the first 4 rounds. It was 19/19 trap. My first round of skeet was 19, scoring that bastard double improperly, and the next was bad. Probably a 15. After then, I tried the Beretta and things only got worse.

The thing is that I think I actually learned much more than the scores indicate. AND IT WAS FUN!!!
Old June 21, 2012, 02:30 PM   #14
BigJimP

As long as you had fun ...it doesn't matter...

Just like in Trap ....when you're learning ...scores of 15 - 20 are pretty common / but you have to work at it ...to get up in the 22, 23 averages...with an occasional 25 hopefully...
Old June 21, 2012, 02:31 PM   #15
TheKlawMan

Quote:
just don't be in the clubhouse bragging about your 24 because you hit some singles with one shell...and you'll be ok.
I don't know about you, Jim, but I thought normal folks shot singles with one shell. That diet must be pretty severe.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:32 PM   #16
oneounceload

Aw, yet another advantage to sporting there Klaw - if you somehow manage to break both with one shot - DEAD PAIR, no need to do them over!
Old June 21, 2012, 02:38 PM   #17
BigJimP

yes, diet has me confused...can't think ...can't type...
Old June 21, 2012, 02:47 PM   #18
TheKlawMan

All I know is now that my daughter is going to work full time maybe I can increase my shooting budget. My trap partner want to try sporting clays at a place called Rahauges (or somethning like that). I am wise to oneounce's devious ways. Once I try it I will be hooked.
Old June 21, 2012, 02:58 PM   #19
BigJimP

Sure, I prefer Sporting Clays over Trap or Skeet too....but shooting Skeet made me a much better sporting clays competitor.

The repetition and discipline ...and fundamentals of shooting Skeet..../ with a coach ...and shooting it well enough to average about a 96 out of 100 ..consistently, was what gave me the confidence....and the ability to understand on the sporting course....when I missed a shot....I was able to correct between shots ...if I missed the 2nd pair of 4 pairs / or maybe I barely chipped a target ....then I was able to fundamentally evaluate what I did wrong / correct my mistake, in competition, so I could make a better shot on the 3rd and 4th pair.

So instead of going 3 or 4 for 8 on some stations.....I was able to get to 6 or 7 out of 8 ...or sometimes have the mental game...to go 8 for 8 ...

Shooting Trap ....never gave me that edge...

Not that you shouldn't shoot some Trap ....there are Trap targets on a sporting course too ...but the lack of repetition of shots on a Trap field ...slowed my development down a little I think. Where the repetition on a Skeet field ....finally made the concepts of Hold point, shooting a sustained lead - so I could adjust for wind, etc ..., insertion of the gun to track a target, the break point...and the follow thru ...because you have so many crossing targets, left and right, on a skeet field - finally make sense to me and improved my overall shooting ability.

Skeet made my live bird hunting ...a lot better too...and the fun of shooting a 20ga, and 28ga and .410 for skeet - as well as a 12ga....made it better too ( and gave me an excuse to buy more guns )...
Old June 21, 2012, 09:07 PM   #20
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
Ok, Ok.....enough of the "mutual man crush going on here"....we need details on scores...( so we can all get a laugh at your expense this morning ..) ...I'm still on this diet / I need a good distraction...
Skeet, in the wind with Klawman...

24-25-24

When the old farts wanted me to shoot doubles I was clean through seven, but the talkative geezers ran us out of targets before I could finish...

They would laugh and/or fart and pull birds when their buddies weren't ready... So we wasted too many...

Trap we won't talk about... I can't figure out for the life of me why I can't get a decent score with my 682 but I can with my 686 field gun...
Old June 22, 2012, 12:12 AM   #21
TheKlawMan

That was what I thought you shot, .300, but I didn't want to chance misreporting your score. I was not just watching your score, but where you were hitting the target, which generally was over the middle stake. You really do well with that ugly gun.

The geezer that was out of control was the guy that liked to come up behind and ask if the shooter wanted him to back them up. The think was it was their way of being friendly.

One thing of note was that yoor third round 24 was with my XS Skeet; a very differnt annimal than your 682.

Last edited by TheKlawMan; June 22, 2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old June 22, 2012, 08:49 AM   #22
zippy13

Quote:
Shot with Weatherby
I was concerned, I thought you might have bought a new gun. I know your Skeet Citori isn't the best for trap; but, why a Weatherby?

I haven't asked, is our friend, .300WM, related to Mike Weatherby who used to be a FFL dealer in your area?
Old June 22, 2012, 05:15 PM   #23
TheKlawMan

I think .300 has one of them Weatherby rifles
Old June 23, 2012, 01:07 AM   #24
.300 Weatherby Mag

Quote:
I haven't asked, is our friend, .300WM, related to Mike Weatherby who used to be a FFL dealer in your area?
No relation... I use Weatherby as my handle on this site and others...

Quote:
I think .300 has one of them Weatherby rifles
Yes... A Weatherby and Model 70 both chambered in .300 Weatherby Magnum
Old June 25, 2012, 05:24 PM   #25
340 Weatherby

One Ounce load and others, I shot sporting clays with my buddies, when it first started around here. It was fun for awhile. But the competition events after awhile, started getting a little strange. I consider myself first a hunter, then a target shooter. And what started happening is a few of the really hot live pigeon shooters began to show up and started to dominate the competition. In order to keep these guys from going straight, they started making the target presentations tougher and tougher. We had FITASC shoots and other five stand type events also, and they threw some mean targets. What finished me off was I was in a shoot at Moore and Moore in the San Fernando Valley and I was doing pretty well and then we came to one station and they threw 10 Mini targets, report doubles. I never saw them. Not a one. If I can't see it I can't shoot it. Right. After I called pull my five times, I stepped out of the box and watched my competitors shoot the station. They had the benefit of watching me look stupid so at least they knew where to look. When I watched them, I realized I was looking for the bird too close to me. They expected us to shoot these mini targets out about 70 yards. When I questioned the organizers about it after the shoot was over. They told me that was their "tie breaker". It sure was for me. I watched John Cloherty, one of the best in the business back then, get four out of ten on the same station. I was cured of sporting clays disease that day. I certainly don't condemn it, but it's not for me. I shot a 44x100 that day. the only positive I could take from it was my mentor shot a 42.