The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 3, 2012, 12:51 AM   #1
Once Fired

Looking for brass swap

Hi all

I picked up about 45 pounds of mixed brass from a local range today, kicking off my reloading efforts. My goal is to acquire a whole slew of 9mm Luger so I can learn how to reload on the single stage press my father is giving me later in the week.

So, to prep, I grabbed a tumbler and media, and then threw in the once-fired brass I had personally used. And then I hit the local range looking for cheap brass.

Of course, I got a bunch of calibers other than what I need since it was mixed brass. I have a ton of .40, some .45 and a bit of .380 auto. I focused on getting as much pistol there as I could. And, there is no steel, no aluminum, and no .22 in what I got.

So, I am sorting and tumbling the brass now. I will keep all the 9mm (about half of total) and am looking to swap everything else I have for an equivalent weight of 9mm brass in a similar state.

I'm in the North Austin area - Cedar Park, specifically. If a swap isn't possible, we can work out a price for the brass. If all else fails, I can get about 85% of my cash back for the portion I don't need - the local recycler here will take clean brass.

Let me know if you're interested. Once the brass is clean, I'll get an approximate count and weight by caliber.

ZAG
Texas Security Guard Jobs
Old June 4, 2012, 10:36 PM   #2
Bush Pirate

I would be interested in a trade for the .45
Old June 5, 2012, 01:15 AM   #3
Nomadicone

You didn't mention it but on the outside chance you come up with 41 Mag or 44 Spl I would trade some 9mm once fired for it.
Old June 5, 2012, 07:00 AM   #4
griz

Do you have enough 380 to make shipping reasonable? I can trade 9mm for 380 but live in Virginia.
Old June 5, 2012, 11:52 AM   #5
Once Fired

Brass swap

Hi guys

I will keep all options open for you guys.

I don't have much on the .380 auto yet - probably around 300-400 pieces. I have 1,150 for .40 for sure. And my .45 is being separated into small & large primer categories, so I will get a better count of those shortly.

I have precisely one rifle casing at this point. hahahhaha

But the range I went to has probably 10-12 5-gallon buckets with my name on them. The range closest to me just sold about 18 tons of brass to salvage - that was 6 months worth of spent brass they didn't sell to reloaders.

ZAG
Old June 5, 2012, 12:04 PM   #6
math teacher

Bare in mind that brass left laying around a range may be once fired or reloaded to death which is why it was left behind. Like a box of chocolates, you never know what you are getting. Sorry Forrest!
Old June 5, 2012, 04:17 PM   #7
moxie

You do know what you're getting in this case. Nearly all brass on the range is once fired. Reloaders pick theirs up, except some cases that are obviously split (reloaded to death). This is typically an insignificant percentage and is easy to cull out during the reloading process, if you do pick them up mistakenly. Not a problem.

USAF Munitions 1969-1992
RVN 1972-1973
Old June 5, 2012, 11:20 PM   #8
Once Fired

Update

Hi guys

Okay, for those of you interested in the .45 brass, I counted have 69 small primer, and the rest of them (381) are large primers.

Also, I have a question. I have been tumbling the cases since I picked them up. I have close to 5,000 cases from the partial 5-gallon bucket I bought, and it's taking a while. They're mostly Just Plain Dirty(tm).

I have noticed a few things already...
  • Steel cases are easily separated with a magnet (mostly already done by range that sold it to me, anyway)
  • Aluminum brass is usually easy to spot since it's flimsy & grey
  • Nickel plated is easy to spot if it's reasonably clean
  • It's the dirty brass that is the hardest

I have found a variety of what looks like ancient brass, or maybe a different metal. Check out this picture.

On the right is un-tumbled dirty cases, and one of those four is the darker type I am referring to. In the middle is tumbled, clean brass. On the left is also tumbled "clean" brass, but it is far darker, and frankly seems like it is a different metal altogether. What is this stuff?

Is it safe to reload such cases, assuming it does not seem to have physical defects? I don't have much of this stuff, so I don't mind tossing it out if need be. But I'd also prefer not to waste brass if I can. I'm new at this and need all the brass I can to learn on. hahahahha

ZAG

Tags
.40 , 9mm , brass , cases , swap