The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 16, 2012, 01:14 PM   #1
Backwoodsboy

Load for .243

Hi everybody I am just getting into reloading and have finally gotten everything together, I am using once fired winchester brass that has been cleaned, IMR 4350 powder and cci primers, my question to all of you is does anybody have any load data you would be willing to share. These reloads will be for a H&R Handi rifle.
Old June 16, 2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Backwoodsboy

Sorry I forgot to mention I will be using 100gr btsp bullets and the primers are cci 200
Old June 16, 2012, 04:29 PM   #3
David Bachelder

See:
http://data.hodgdon.com/main_menu.asp

Plenty of reloads there.

My .243 likes Hornady 95 grain SST's over 35 grains of Varget.
COAL of 2.650" is about .030 off the rifling. Using this combo it's a tack driver.
Old June 17, 2012, 06:22 AM   #4
PawPaw

The .243 is fairly easy to load, but I use the slower powders in that caliber and I've never used 4350. I like 4831 and Reloder 22, although I do have one recipe for IMR 4895.

The point is that everyone reloads that caliber differently and your rifle will certainly find one combination that it likes. My best advise would be to try a ladder test with the powder you've selected and use the combination that gives the best accuracy in your rifle. Dan Newberry explains it as well as anyone, but the idea is to find the optimal for your rifle. You've already chosen the bullet, primer, brass and powder so the only task left is to find that specific powder weight that will let your rifle shine. Then all that's left to do is start exploring seating depth and tweaking the load.

Good luck on your quest. Lots of folks find that the .243 Winchester is very satisfying and easy to load for.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old June 17, 2012, 10:18 AM   #5
Backwoodsboy

Thank you for your responses. The link provided was awesome. I do plan on starting out using the ladder technique to find what works well and as far as the fast burn powder I selected was because eventually I will start reloading for my .300 wby. My hope is that I can find a powder that works for both rifles equally well, although I do know its not always the case. Thanks again and I will keep you updated on how it turns out