The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old May 1, 2012, 01:16 AM   #26
Ambishot

The first time I went deer hunting as a teenager with my father, uncle and grandfather, we had literally scored the one and only camp site within a 10 mile radius outside of this small hunting town in CO. We had gotten there the friday before opening day and the site itself was the only one in about 20sq miles that had adequate trees for hanging game. It was surrounded by rolling hills of sage brush and prairie grass with only one entrance to the south that went over a hill and into an abandoned town. Around sunset we had finished setting up camp and everyone else decided to take a nap. While they were doing so, I decided to take out the binos and glass around for a bit.

I went off walking for about 30 minutes and had made a surveillance around camp-glassing in all directions. When I got back to camp, I noticed that there were a couple trucks on the ridge where the road heads back towards town, at about a mile away. Being a curious adolescent, I raised my binos to find that there was a man looking back at me through a pair of binoculars. At first I didn't think much of it and just went about my business about camp. About 15-20 minutes later, I had happened to look in the direction of the vehicles and noticed that they were still there on the horizon.

So, I picked up my binos and glassed over to them and what did I find? Yet again the man was still surveying our campsite. Well, this didn't feel right and I ended up waking up my father and explained the situation to him. He dismissed it after looking over at the distant cars and seeing them leave.

Well...later that night, well after dinner and after we had hit the sack, I was awoken by the sound of a truck's engine and the whiteness of someone's head lights shining on our camper. After what felt like eternity, the trucks turned around and left, but needless to say the experience left a weird sense of paranoia with me throughout the hunt.
Old May 1, 2012, 12:03 PM   #27
mnhntr

Here is what happened to me 2 yrs ago. This is what I posted on another forum right after it happened.
I went out to hunt tonight and of course the stand that I have had for 2yrs was gone (thanks whoever took my stand). So to make it a worthwhile evening I sat on the ground. An hour goes by and I hear an approaching critter. I get ready and all of a sudden theres a cub and sow 15yds from me. I put the bow down and grab the pistol out of my belt and my phone. I somehow think this is a kodak moment and start taking pics on the phone. Now they are still coming right to me so I click the safety off and that is apparently a sound that bears dont like. The cub flys up the tree and mom starts wuffing and bouncing on her front legs at 10yds. I am very nervous right then and cant think of what to do so I do nothing and she leaves. The cub soon follows and I pack up and get out of there. What a rush that is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sow&cub.jpg (55.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg sow.jpg (54.7 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg cub.jpg (55.3 KB, 26 views)
Old May 1, 2012, 01:12 PM   #28
slow944

In 1995 my brothers and I had a lease down near Karnack in E. Texas. We were bow hunting and between my stand and my youngest brothers it was probably 300 yds with a small ridge running between us. At O'dark 30 we were already in the stands waiting for legal shooting light. As I sat there on this little 10' ladder stand I hear something scream/growl between my brother and I that made my hair stand up including the ones I was sitting on. So around 1100 my brother comes over and asks if I heard the "Cat"? I said hell yeah and it sounded like it was up on the little ridge. So we walk up on top of the ridge and there in the dirt were cats tracks that looked the size of dinner plates. I've never gone bow hunting with out taking a handgun with me since.