The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old January 8, 2011, 02:49 AM   #1
BfloBill

Birchwood Casey RIG?

In another thread this product came up and I was thinking of trying it.
It's been stated that this is a rust preventative. Could someone who uses this be more specific on it's application?

Do you put a thin coat on all your guns?
Do you only use it for long term storage? (3-6 months or more)

I have several guns that are older and of sentimental value, but I rarely shoot them (every couple of years), would this product suit my needs?

Thanks in advance.
Old January 8, 2011, 03:09 AM   #2
mete

Great stuff which I've used for many years for rust prevention and a lubricating grease .It had been off the market for a while but now back.
My long term storage consists of thoroughly cleaning the gun, applying a light coating of RIG ,and with a piece of VPI [rust inhibiting paper] in a zip-loc bag. One nice thing is that it's ready to fire without having to clean off the grease.
If I want grease for lube on any gun I use RIG.
It will suit your needs well !

They also have a version for high pressure applications and stainless steel called RIG +P .The high pressure applications would be things like hinge pins and locks on an O/U shotgun.

Last edited by mete; January 8, 2011 at 07:28 AM.
Old January 8, 2011, 07:53 AM   #3
ClydeFrog

Birchwood-Casey/RIG cleaning products; Mpro7-LPX, Brownells...

I used a few RIG products for my US Army issued weapons in USFK(South Korea) in the early 1990s. They worked well but today in 2011, I'd suggest a high tech synthetic CLP or oil from a top brand like Gunzilla, Weaponshield, Eezox or Mpro7's new LPX. The LPX is designed for general use but the website/marketing states it works for long term storage too.
See www.Brownells.com www.PoliceHQ.com www.Weaponshield.com www.Mpro7.com www.Eezox.com .

All the best;
CF
Old January 8, 2011, 08:15 AM   #4
sourdough44

I've recently started using RIG on some of my guns that are mostly in longer term storage. I just rub a thing coat on with fingers or a rag. I put some on a patch for inside the bore. Once on I tag the gun as such. I have some guns I have no intention of shooting any time soon & rather than go over them twice a year I thought I'd try RIG.
Old January 8, 2011, 09:20 AM   #5
HankC1

Johnson paste wax will do as well and less greasy
Old January 8, 2011, 09:23 AM   #6
johnbt

"Do you put a thin coat on all your guns?"

Yes, pretty much inside and out, been doing it for many years. Of course, it's very humid here - we're technically sub-tropical.

A RigRag or a piece of sheepskin (same thing) makes wipedowns sooo easy. It even gets into the rollmarks without any extra effort.

And when the RigRag gets dirty you can put a half a capful of Woolite in a little water and wash it. The one in my range bag gets dirty fast. The ones on top of the safes that are used on clean guns don't. I hate fingerprints.
Old January 8, 2011, 09:51 AM   #7
Rifleman1776

I have been using RIG for many years and consider it a great product. I do use for long term storage. As long as the surface is coated you need not be fussy about how much to use, just wipe on. For larger, non delicate, parts it is an excellent lube.
Old January 8, 2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Don P

Quote:
Could someone who uses this be more specific on it's application?

Do you put a thin coat on all your guns?
Do you only use it for long term storage? (3-6 months or more)
As I stated on another thread I feel this is the best product for loooong term storage. This is just my opinion from my personal experience. A thin coat externally and you can coat a patch with it and run it down the barrel. Just remember to remove it from the inside of the barrel before shooting.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old January 9, 2011, 09:44 AM   #9
Toolman

About 30 years ago I first used RIG on my rifles for long term storage. It was on a couple rifles for 10 years and was kinda dried out & caked up when I got them out of storage. The caked areas had fallen off & surface rust was present where the cakes had been. Had I checked them periodically I would've seen the problem. Do not just apply it and forget.
I've used Breakfree CLP Collector recently & so far I like it better than RIG.
Old January 10, 2011, 09:13 AM   #10
Jolly Rogers

Sounds like it was on a little thick...I treated a 1968 vintage Ithaca M37 with a RIG rag lightly and put it in a closet...for 'bout 15 years. Still sold it as a 95% gun in 1995. No rust.
Joe