The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 14, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
spacecoast

Upgraded the ol' Wingmaster

I bought the $19 ATI 3-round mag extension from Bud's for my 1970-vintage 12 gauge Wingmaster and put it on last night. I was a little disappointed at first that it didn't include a barrel clamp, but after I attached it I decided that it really doesn't need it, it's rock solid. I still may pick up a couple of clamps if I see them at the local gun show - one for the tube/barrel and another to hold a flashlight and make it even more "tacktickle". I kinda figured out that I didn't want to be holding a light in one hand and trying to shoot this beast with the other.

Seven rounds of heavy metal hurt in the form of 00 buck...

Last edited by spacecoast; September 15, 2010 at 07:25 AM.
Old September 14, 2010, 08:04 PM   #2
oneounceload

Look at the clamps from CDMGEAR.com - he has all types for 870 12 gauges to hold all types of things
Old September 15, 2010, 03:08 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

spacecoast

I LIKE IT!

Quote:
I kinda figured out that I didn't want to be holding a light in one hand and try to shoot this beast with the other.
You would be surprised just how many folks try and do just that! There is a technique but it is rather clumsy.

Quote:
I was a little disappointed at first that it didn't include a barrel clamp, but after I attached it I decided that it really doesn't need it
Barrel clamps are sometimes helpful to keep things straight if "god forbid" we drop our baby. They are also very helpfull if you choose to have a carry sling. Sometimes they keep our mag extensions from un-screwing at the wrong time! Though a wrap or two of teflon tape works well for that purpose. But you are right, don't really need it.

Nothing left to do but shoot it

Good Luck & Be Safe
Old September 15, 2010, 07:12 AM   #4
spacecoast

Quote:
Look at the clamps from CDMGEAR.com
Thanks, I'll check them out.

Quote:
if "god forbid" we drop our baby
:barf::barf::barf::barf: But, hey, I know it happens...

This is probably my least-used firearm (our local range has a lousy setup for scattergun practice on the pistol range, and they are paranoid about using buckshot), but I'm absolutely sure it will go bang every time and is really a lot of fun to shoot. It was purchased for about $200 back in '99, shortened as my "Y2K" gun and has the silky smooth action characteristic of an "old" style Wingmaster. Late last year I cleaned up the metal parts and repainted them, and it's holding up just fine. The wood is in great shape as well.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=383776

When I explained to my wife how I want to configure this gun (loaded but requiring the fear-inducing chuck-a-shuck to go "hot"), and that I wanted to keep it "out" and readily available, she was very supportive and even wants to try shooting it herself. She wanted to know if it kicks harder than the .22, and I said "Umm... yeah, just a little" Seriously, I will do my best to prepare her beforehand.

Last edited by spacecoast; September 15, 2010 at 07:27 AM.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:28 AM   #5
Qbert

Nordic Components makes a nice tube clamp with rail for 12 gauges for around $50. Just got mine and it works/looks great. Also has the option to put a sling mount on the opposite side as the tactical rail.
Old September 15, 2010, 01:48 PM   #6
cdutton

Gun looks great. Even though I love the matte finish on my Express, I gotta say, the blued metal and the polished wood sure do make it purrdy
Old September 15, 2010, 03:53 PM   #7
spacecoast

Quote:
I gotta say, the blued metal and the polished wood sure do make it purrdy
Thanks, but I have to confess that the metal is painted black and clear coated. When I got it the gun had almost no bluing left and a very light coat of surface rust. Some steel wool took care of that and I'm happy with the results.
Old September 15, 2010, 04:08 PM   #8
cdutton

Well, whatever you've done to it comes under my definition of "restoration", and I dig it. Great job.
Old September 15, 2010, 04:16 PM   #9
The Expert

That gun is sweet.

My 870 is a few years old but it doesn't seem to have the same "character". Maybe it's the high-gloss stock.
Old September 16, 2010, 02:39 PM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Space, before your spouse tries out this nice old Wingmaster, do both of you a BIG favor. Get some ultra light 7/8 oz loads for her to familiarize with.

Trust me.