The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 13, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Tikka15

Old shells

Recently one of my buddies and I cleaned out his grandpa's house and doing so we found over 3,000 12 gauge shells and the boxes were stamped 1982 and I was just wondering if they are still good and safe to shoot. I hope so cause that a few shells.
Old September 13, 2010, 07:39 PM   #2
oneounceload

1982 isn't THAT old..............geez.......

if they were stored in reasonable conditions, there's no reason they shouldn't work - look for obvious signs of decomposition - if none, try some and see how well they do
Old September 13, 2010, 07:43 PM   #3
Pahoo

Much depends on how and where they were stored. Most old weathered shells are not worth messing with. Take a representative sample and see how and if they shoot. I've shot some old shells that just brely pushed the shot out of the barrel. Rather humorous process. Watch out for Hang-Fires.

Might add that those that are no longer any good or suspect, I cut, soak and pitch.

Be Safe !!!
Old September 13, 2010, 07:52 PM   #4
hardworker

I had a coffee can full of old moldy birdshot back before I knew firing such things was frowned upon. They all went boom, albeit one of them swelled up so much in the chamber I had to beat the bolt on the side of the house to break the chamber open. The rest fired fired fine with the occasional cloud of black smoke out the end of the barrel. I'd shoot them and not worry about it.
Old September 13, 2010, 10:09 PM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Kept cool and dry, shotgun ammo lasts a very long time. I recently used up some lead shot goose loads I had from the 60s in a function test in a Saiga. It worked OK.

Some very old ammo in the boxes has collector value. Seek out a collector you trust and find out if any of this qualifies.
Old September 13, 2010, 10:23 PM   #6
zippy13

Properly stored ammo lasts longer than most folks think. I just shot some WW II stuff that worked fine. I still have a few new boxes of AA's from the 1980's that I wouldn't hesitate to use in a match. It's in the factory case cartons and the brass is still bright.
Old September 13, 2010, 11:02 PM   #7
LaserSpot

Nice gift from his grandpa, that has to weigh a ton! You didn't say the roof leaked, so they're probably fine.

Hope you get invited to the trap range (let him shoot first)
Old September 14, 2010, 12:53 AM   #8
Hoskins

Your good dude, I've shot shotgun shells that were dang near 30 years old...all fired w/o a problem.
Old September 14, 2010, 01:28 AM   #9
Sphawley

Those things are way older than me!!!!
Old September 14, 2010, 02:09 AM   #10
publius

Unless they have rusted brass heads they are good to go.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:12 AM   #11
Mike Irwin
Staff

I've fired shotshells loaded around 1910 without any problems at all.

What always amazed me was that the waxed paper hulls never absorbed enough moisture in 75 or so years to swell and distort.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 14, 2010, 10:18 AM   #12
BigJimP

I'm still trying to get over that anything born in 1982 is " Old " .... and that 4 lb fir ball keeps getting stuck in my throat ....:barf:
Old September 14, 2010, 10:32 AM   #13
Xfire68

Nice find! As already said they are more then likely find to shoot but, check them over to be sure and go have some fun!

Man 1982 is like saying Kelly Clarkson is old! Now if you said 1882 that would be old!
Old September 14, 2010, 02:14 PM   #14
zippy13

On second thought, IRRC, 1982 was a really bad year for shot shells. You best bet is to ship them to me, and I'll see to their disposal. Since you're a forum member, I won't charge the usual disposal fee.
Old September 14, 2010, 04:54 PM   #15
Deerhunter

I am not sure about where you live but.............if you find that the brass is rusted and any others wont shoot, call your local PD. I had some that I forgot about sitting around out in the garage. When I found them they were nasty. I took the whole bag of them to the local PD and dropped them off. They took them. All they asked is where I got them and said thanks for not just throwing them away.
Old September 14, 2010, 05:17 PM   #16
oneounceload

Quote:
I am not sure about where you live but.............if you find that the brass is rusted and any others wont shoot, call your local PD. I had some that I forgot about sitting around out in the garage. When I found them they were nasty. I took the whole bag of them to the local PD and dropped them off. They took them. All they asked is where I got them and said thanks for not just throwing them away.
There is no need for that - they can be easily disassembled, the shot salvaged, primers, even the wads - the powder can be used for fertilizer - then the empty hulls can be thrown away
Old September 14, 2010, 05:21 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

In my house th0ose would be almost brand new shells. I'm still shooting old plastic and paper hulled shells that I have gathered from various sources like auctions and flea markets and a lot of them when I look them up stopped being made 40 years or more. I haven't had one fail me yet.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old September 14, 2010, 06:54 PM   #18
GroovyMike

As long as there is no obvious corrossion or water damage they should be perfectly good.
Old September 14, 2010, 07:08 PM   #19
Deerhunter

oneounceload...............Thanks. I didn't know all that. I don't reload so the parts would be no use to me. That is good information though.
Old September 14, 2010, 07:27 PM   #20
spacecoast

Quote:
I've fired shotshells loaded around 1910 without any problems at all.
Maybe, but we're not really talking about stuff you shot in 1940 (just kidding Mike)
Old September 14, 2010, 07:36 PM   #21
zippy13

The shot and wads are valuable. If you have a lot of ammo to salvage, there are gizmos like the "case cutter" to make the job a breeze. It's the shot shell equivalent to a bullet puller -- a cottage made block of wood with a hole and a blade. IIRC, You insert the shell in the hole and apply pressure to the blade holder while giving it a turn. I have one around here somewhere.
Old September 14, 2010, 07:43 PM   #22
oneounceload

I have one too Zippy - except it's my PVC pipe cutter - works on the same principle except I have to know where to cut
Old September 14, 2010, 08:09 PM   #23
zippy13

The "case cutter" has a stop so it opens the hull in the wad column between the shot cup and the over-powder wad -- neat and clean.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:15 AM   #24
johnbt

"1982 isn't THAT old"

He hurt my feelings too. I was 32 then.

I buy 28ga. paper shells at the gun show to shoot and they're much older. There's always somebody with a coffee can or cigar box with odds and ends. I've even found reasonable priced boxes of paper shells from time to time.

I just like the smell of smoking paper hulls. Reminds me of my childhood.
Old September 15, 2010, 08:35 AM   #25
BANG

I have, in my possession, some 16-ga Remington SP16 shells (#4, Express PowerPiston) that are about 50 years old. Last year, I fired two of them just to see what effects age might have had. Seemed to fire perfectly normal. For the first 30 of the 50 years, they were kept in a reasonably cool non-air conditionned place.