The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old December 7, 1999, 09:24 AM   #1
Bianchi

I'd like to start shooting IPSC matches this spring. Would a single stack put me at a severe disadvantage?
Lou
Old December 7, 1999, 09:53 AM   #2
BigG

I shoot Commanders and Gold Cups with 8 rounders, that means I have two mag changes in our typical 22 round opening scenario. Sometimes I shoot a Glock 23 with 15 round mags.

Some of the guys have race guns, others have double stacks like Paras, with up to 20 rounds per mag. I look at it as practice for actual combat, therefore I shoot what I carry.

I look at it as a challenge to me to improve. Not really in it to rise to the top. There are lots of 30 year olds, I can't move as fast as them, so I just try to beat my older times.

The main thing is, get started and shoot what you carry! HTH

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Old December 7, 1999, 10:27 AM   #3
Ricky T

Bianchi,
You would fit right in with IDPA with the single stack.
Old December 7, 1999, 11:41 AM   #4
TaxPhd

I was shooting B class scores with my Kimber single stack before I switched to open class. There are guys that can shoot at the mater or grand master level with single stacks. It all depends on what you want to do.

Starting out with a single stack is a great way to learn how to shoot. The necessary skills can certainly be learned on that gun. If you really get into the competition, however, and you want to win, you will probably have to go to high capacity (this is in IPSC. You would be fine in IDPA which has an artificial mag limit imposed).
Old December 7, 1999, 03:14 PM   #5
Bianchi

Thanks BigG, RickyT, and TaxPhd. I'm also not concerned with winning, but I didn't want to slow the competition up. If you guy's don't mind I have a couple of more questions. I have two 1911's, one with Bomars, and one with fixed sights. Does anyone prefer one over the other?
When you have to reload, what do you do with the empty mag? drop it, or retain it?
Thanks Lou
Old December 7, 1999, 03:37 PM   #6
Ricky T

Bianchi,
What would you like to get out of the competition? Just to have fun or to learn defensive pistol skills. It you just want to have fun then IPSC provides you with plenty of that, lots of shooting, running, fast shooting game. In that case, you can perform a speed reload, that is drop the magazine whether it's partially full or empty, and slap in a fresh mag and keep going. If you want to learn defensive skill, you can perform tactical reload and retain your magazine as in IDPA.
But in either case if your magazine is empty just drop it and stick in a fresh magazine. I know in the IPSC game, it's considered a no-no to shoot til the gun is empty, that's why they always perform speed reloads, which is faster than a slide lock reloads. Have I confused you enough?
Old December 7, 1999, 03:37 PM   #7
BigG

The fixed sight version would be fine. It's not bullseye shooting, the "A" zone is about 10" X 4" which any decent pistol will hit. The next highest zone is almost the full silhouette.

You drop your mags.

IPSC is a game which combines Power, Speed, and Accuracy. You shoot 45 ACP, so you are in the top power factor, called Major. The courses of fire are timed and scored by hits, misses, and no-shoots. All these combined makes your total score. Come on out!

------------------
Be mentally deliberate but muscularly fast. Aim for just above the belt buckle Wyatt Earp
45 ACP: Give 'em a new navel! BigG
"It is error alone that needs government support; truth can stand by itself." Tom Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1785

Old December 7, 1999, 08:03 PM   #8
Bianchi

Thanks Guy's. Looks like I can use what I have. To Ricky T., Right now I'm looking for the fun factor. Been shooting bullseye (Gallery) for a while and I like it, but I want to try something different. Sounds like IDPA would be good to for disciplined skills.
To BigG I'll be there. I'm in Area 7 according to the USPS web site. so the season just ended. I think there are some winter matches though. I'll watch for them.
Thanks for your help.
Lou
Old December 7, 1999, 10:55 PM   #9
johnboy
Retired Screen Name

I am into IDPA and I liked fixed sights. My 1911 makes ragged holes at 25 yards now. It was a jamomatic at my last IDPA match, the Tennessee State IDPA Championships. Fixed that problem.

IDPA is a blast! Come on out. You will learn several skills, point shooting, reloads, and everything is not as easy as it looks. And everybody is friendly. A decision you will not regret.

Johnboy