The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old March 31, 2009, 07:55 AM   #1
Rough Rider Rob

Heritage revolvers

I am very interested in getting into Cowboy Shooting and have purchased a Heritage revolver. I think most would consider this a entry level gun and I'm liking it a lot and have fired many rounds with no problems thus far. Anyone have experience, good or bad, w/ these guns?
Old March 31, 2009, 08:24 AM   #2
vintagemc313

I had a very bad experience with mine. I purchased it as a good first time shooter for my 15 year old daughter. I did purchase it used, but it was in excellent condition. First 12 shots went very nice. The 13th shot somehow sheared the cylinder release, hit my daughter's hand, and got lost forever in the range. I bought the new piece to repair it, but then I noticed a hairline crack in the frame. I can't say for sure what happened, but it obviously was pretty violent. If you need any spares, let me know. I will part this out, and see if the local pd will destroy the frame. I would suggest making sure the screw together release is tightened before you go to the range. I won't badmouth the company. It's a pretty little gun, but just didn't work out for me.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:09 PM   #3
Rough Rider Rob

Heritage revolvers

Thanks for the heads up vintagemc313, I will pay attention to this.
Old March 31, 2009, 12:24 PM   #4
sundance44s

I bought a new one chambered in 22 and an extra cylinder for shooting 22 mag came with it .........these guns are made in the USA....but so is Jennings and Davis ............I would not buy a Heritage revolver in anything larger than 22 mag .........remember the what we called Sat. nite specials made here in the USA ......it is what it is ....makes a nice snake charmer with the 22 mag shot shells .
Old April 3, 2009, 01:58 AM   #5
greywalker

I owned a used one for about one day- simply put, it was junk (light strikes, .22 mag cylinder was somehow completely out of spec and did not fit, and the safety literally fell off,) returned it and bought a single six, which is what I should have done in the first place.... they are nice enough looking, and I have had friends that owned one and liked theirs, but I think they get abused a lot due to the lower price, and are not so sturdy to start with- so watch out if buying used, and inspect if buying new- really though, a new heritage is close to the price of a used single six, and the single six you can hand off to your grand child one day......
Old April 3, 2009, 05:49 AM   #6
sundance44s

Rough Rider Rob .......Sorry if my post sounded so harsh against them .
I thought you said you were thinking about buying one ...I see you said you have already bought one now ........
I hope you have good luck with yours , it may be fine ... mine still shoots fine , I keep it in my truck because of the low price I paid for it .. so I figure if it gets stolen not a great lost ..